Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That is allot of wires

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Sounds like a dead PSU or motherboard.

Try resetting the cmos for the craic, it's the flat little battery, just remove it and reinsert it a few seconds after.

If that doesn't work, try the paperclip method to test the psu

Have removed and re-seated the CMOS battery.

Just before I do something silly:

I'm connecting the two things in green below, yes? To simulate the power button?

Whats_App_Image_2016_09_25_at_13_56_19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I believe so, I can't remember if there's another set of pins for it you'll have to wait for someone else to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

On my board the GND that's associated with the power button is the one alongside it - not the one below it.

I have no idea if this is the case with yours or not and I don't know if there's the potential to do damage by using the wrong one but worth checking up and testing IF it's safe to do so!!!

Whats_App_Image_2016_09_25_at_14_22_08.jpg

Sorry, that original image was incorrect. The joys of trying to edit on a phone and then sending it to the desktop to upload it to image upload!

http://s9.postimg.org/85nnqjdnz/Whats_App_Image_2016_09_25_at_14_22_08.jpg

If only the f**king PSU had some sort of status light even :(

Ah yes.

That's how I would expect to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Top two on the right hand side. Use a philips head screwdriver - you can't do any damage no matter what connectors you touch, it's perfectly safe, you bridge the gap between them firmly, no need to be super delicate. It may be either a dead PSU or a dead motherboard, there's a paperclip test you can do to check the PSU on its own is actually functioning.

Connecting those two pins with a phillips head screwdriver does nothing.

No beeps, no fans, nothing.

I read on another page (which I've closed but I can't find now) to connect the power leds up to the power pins on the motherboard. If the power button lights up then you know you've got power.

Does that sound stupid or something to try?

Incidentally, could I get a loan of a PSU from someone else? In work they are getting rid of some old HP desktops. Would I be able to take a PSU out of one of them to test with?

Or take my PSU and see if it boots a computer in work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Far easier just to do the paper clip test on the PSU.

With regards PSU's from a work machine, it's 50/50 - a lot of all the major manufacturers flip flop between having standard PSU's and propriatory PSU's which are not compatiable with standard boards.

If they're being thrown out anyway have a quick look, once they have a 24pin and a 4pin, they're grand. The propriatory ones tend to be strange combinations of 6pin, 8pin and 12pin connectors, you'll know instantly if they're suitable.

If the PSU shows signs of life with the pape clip test, you know then it's the board. I never recommend buying full builds from Mindfactory for this reason - returns are a nightmare compared to buying from the likes of Overclockers UK.

Far easier just to do the paper clip test on the PSU.

I looked that up online but all the examples I've seen show a PSU with coloured cables. The PSU I have the cables are all black.
    With regards PSU's from a work machine, it's 50/50 - a lot of all the major manufacturers flip flop between having standard PSU's and propriatory PSU's which are not compatiable with standard boards.

If they're being thrown out anyway have a quick look, once they have a 24pin and a 4pin, they're grand. The propriatory ones tend to be strange combinations of 6pin, 8pin and 12pin connectors, you'll know instantly if they're suitable.

Thanks Terror. I'll do that tomorrow.
    If the PSU shows signs of life with the pape clip test, you know then it's the board. I never recommend buying full builds from Mindfactory for this reason - returns are a nightmare compared to buying from the likes of Overclockers UK.

Holy jesus I wish I'd done more homework on Mindfactory and not just gone with the price comparison. Even if it only is the bloody motherboard - they installed the CPU (I didn't want the hassle or stress of messing with the naked CPU so I paid them 20 quid to install it).

• Advertisement

Well, it's the worst case scenario.

Got a spare PSU to test and it's the motherboard. My PSU powers another motherboard without an issue.

I don't know what happened. I was so f**King careful. I had an anti static wristband on at all time :(

Does this happen? Could this be a manufacturer failure?

I've started the process with mindfactory but would appreciate advice here because this option comes up:

direct_settlement.jpg

What does that mean? The CPU is attached to the motherboard (it was done by mindfactory) so I was gonna send that back as well.

What does the direct option entail? Is it better or worse?

I have never dealt with mindfactory but if it was me I'd be taking the processor off and bot sending it back.

It's not particularly difficult but you need somewhere to store it for later. Also the motherboard would have come with a plate to cover and protect the pins when there is no processor in place. Did that come in the box? You should definitely use it if you take the processor off.

I have never dealt with mindfactory but if it was me I'd be taking the processor off and bot sending it back.

It's not particularly difficult but you need somewhere to store it for later. Also the motherboard would have come with a plate to cover and protect the pins when there is no processor in place. Did that come in the box? You should definitely use it if you take the processor off.

Why Metric?

Because you think they'll damage it removing it?

I think it might get lost in the process.

You're sending a motherboard back which in turn will probably be sent back to the manufacturer so you are relying on either the person in mindfactory who receives it or the person at the manufacturer who receives it to take your processor out and mind it for a week or two before somehow sending it over to the packaging department to be sent out or fitted to the replacement motherboard that you will be getting.

In my opinion there's just too much chance of it getting lost or forgotten in the process and if so it'll be very difficult for you to track it down or get a replacement.

I wouldn't be worried about having to reinstall it yourself. The modern Intel processors are very easy to fit. What type of cooler is on it?

And so I sent the parts backs to Mindfactory and to be fair, they sent back a replacement motherboard. They sent back the originally ram and the original motherboard and heatsink.

Now I'm actually ****ting it but I'm getting ready to put it all back together again. And I just had a thought - do I need thermal compound?

I had Mindfactory install it first time around but now it's up to me. The i5 doesn't come with thermal compound separately. Would the stuff on it first time have worn off?

Whats_App_Image_2016_10_28_at_21_06_54.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You need thermal paste to fill in the gap between your CPU & the bottom of the cooler.
    Any cheap one will do.
    Could even get away with toothpaste while waiting for the post.

Thanks KO kiki,

Bought thermal paste in PCworld this morning, applied it, put it all together, silently shat myself and then rejoiced - WE'RE BACK IN BUSINESS!

Oh thanks jesus :)

Thanks everyone for all their advice here.

I have to say - Mindfactory were decent. Yes, I'm 55 quid down from the cost of returning stuff but they replaced the motherboard without a question.

I had feared much worse. So it was the motherboard which fried. The original ram, cpu, psu etc. are all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Wonder what caused the Mobo to fry? All you done was move it from one room to another and connect it to TV, right?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Wonder what caused the Mobo to fry? All you done was move it from one room to another and connect it to TV, right?

That's it. Worked perfectly until I connected a HDMI cable. Dead as a door nail from then on. Zero issues with new mobo. All other components work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

quad_red wrote: »
    That's it. Worked perfectly until I connected a HDMI cable. Dead as a door nail from then on. Zero issues with new mobo. All other components work perfectly.
    Technology is a fickle thing I find. There can often be no reasonable or perceivable rreason to us, but then of course everything ends so, it's just a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Could have just been a badly grounded port or something.

Or does that make sense

Advertisement