Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to put gift grub out of its misery?

Options
  • 14-09-2016 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

It gave up being funny 10 years ago.
    Not even the semblance of a joke is missing from the slot. It's just whatever song comes into Mario's head and whatever crap story is on the front page of the star. He did well to get nearly 20 years out of it but it's time it went bye bye. There's only so many times boom boom can be used in a 5 minute slot without wanting to choke on your own vomit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

It gave up being funny 10 years ago.
    Not even the semblance of a joke is missing from the slot. It's just whatever song comes into Mario's head and whatever crap story is on the front page of the star. He did well to get nearly 20 years out of it but it's time it went bye bye. There's only so many times boom boom can be used in a 5 minute slot without wanting to choke on your own vomit.

I hopped into a taxi recently while it was playing. I was genuinely shocked to hear it still going. It sounded exactly the same as when I listened to it 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

I love it when he takes the p1ss out of D'Arcy. A couple of the recent ones have been really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Same rehashed jokes. Same crap voices. Essentially just replaced bertie with enda. No doubt there will be a Christmas show he has to flog or it will be the 17th anniversary of I, keano and we will have to endure him doing the late late or red rock or some such other. His TV show was an abomination to young and upcoming comics in Ireland. Irish pictorial weekly craps on it from a great height yet never got a mention nor a good slot, pushed out to half 11 most weeks.

I love it when he takes the p1ss out of D'Arcy. A couple of the recent ones have been really good.

That's easy to do though. You can phone in that stuff as it writes itself. Everyone knows D'Arcy is a bit of a ......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why would they scrap it when they still have thousands of people daft enough to sell out live shows and tours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It was dead to me when Jaap Stam left United.

They can use it again for Ronald Koeman.

"He closed the door in my brain".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Irish people love tepid, inoffensive, funny voices "comedy".

Bonus points for including parody songs and/or people wearing wigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

It's been keeping Ian Dempsey in a job for years. It was his clever thinking tying into the idea with Rosenstock when it was wow in the 90's. For over ten years it's been utterly devoid of humour or relevance and is phoned in much like today fm is in the morning.

Dempster seems to think he is the king of morning radio. He's just stagnated for 20 years. Nothing imperial about that

I asked this before, but I think Dempsey has some financial stake in Gift Grub, the tours etc, so its in his interest to keep it going. Am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Irish people love tepid, inoffensive, funny voices "comedy".

Bonus points for including parody songs and/or people wearing wigs.

I suppose there's still a market for comedy preserved in aspic, like Brendan Grace mother-in-law jokes.

When a comedy act straight out of the 70s, Mrs Browns Boys, can make millions, it just shows what will actually sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I went to see the Live Show a few years back and it was brilliant, but the Mario Rosenstock show on Rte is a bit lame.

http://www.mariorosenstock.ie/history-of-gift-grub/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dempsey had Dustin on yesterday morning and Dustin was much more funnier than anything Mario has produced over the past 5/10 years. I've said it on other threads, the way Dermot Whelan takes off, made up people and even some of famous people like McGregor, Taylor, and Gollum (as a kerry person) are hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

The funniest gift grub texts ever every morning are becoming like the texts to Ray D'arcy about truck drivers crying and parents dancing with their children around the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

The funniest gift grub texts ever every morning are becoming like the texts to Ray D'arcy about truck drivers crying and parents dancing with their children around the kitchen

Or people hearing Riverdance and texting in that the hairs are standing on the back of their necks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Mc Love wrote: »
    Dempsey had Dustin on yesterday morning and Dustin was much more funnier than anything Mario has produced over the past 5/10 years. I've said it on other threads, the way Dermot Whelan takes off, made up people and even some of famous people like McGregor, Taylor, and Gollum (as a kerry person) are hilarious.
    Those two clowns are one of the worst things on today, painful to listen to... Gift grub is hit and miss but can be v funny, no reason to scrap it just yet.

I had a disc, come to think of it it was a minidisc, so that tells you how long ago it was, of gift grub with Bertie trying to get public transport to work, and Radio Roy, and I will admit its funny stuff. But thats 10 years ago. Please dont tell me they are doing the same tired old jokes?

Comedy is a difficult subject. Generally only really smart people do it, but repetition kills it. The Two Ronnies were in my opinion two of the masters of comedy and they didnt just do the same joke over and over again. Little Britain could learn from them and so could gift grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I had a disc, come to think of it it was a minidisc, so that tells you how long ago it was, of gift grub with Bertie trying to get public transport to work, and Radio Roy, and I will admit its funny stuff. But thats 10 years ago. Please dont tell me they are doing the same tired old jokes?

Comedy is a difficult subject. Generally only really smart people do it, but repetition kills it. The Two Ronnies were in my opinion two of the masters of comedy and they didnt just do the same joke over and over again. Little Britain could learn from them and so could gift grub.
    I used be a big fan and turned over to Today FM because of it but it has stopped being funny with the last 3 or 4 years.

You hear a Mario doing voice and you almost automatically know the sketch that's on the way. I suppose it may have been the same with the Bertie years but Bertie had times he would be the butt of the jokes and time he would win out.

It's gotten really tired lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

His Outraged Daniel o'Donnel persona is appallingly crap , he doesn't even try to do the accent anymore , Dempsey definitely must have a stake in the tour as he's always going on about the shows being "almost sold out " , for someone as dense as him he's pretty clever with the money .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Once they got rid of bertie it went downhill and should have been killed off then it was a skit based around bertie. They did some good cover vesrions of songs aswell. John delaney and steve staunton doin eminems stan or roy keane in euro 2004 doing some song with beckham when england got turfed outa the euros

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Paddy Porter

Have to agree ..gift Grub has passed it's sell by date !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Dustin is great, he can really the take the pee out of people including the poor Mr Darcy. He/it could easily replace GG. I hate when Roy Keane is in the sketch, its a bit boring.I liked the one with Michael O Leary. so some are funny, some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It was funny and vaguely relevant 10-12 years ago. He did have some genuine "water cooler" moments - e.g. I remember making a point of tuning in when Roy blew up in Saipan and/or when he was kicked out of Old Trafford. He fairly nailed it on those occasions.

Trouble is, these days most of his routine has dated badly and a lot of his crutch characters are absolutely awful. His Marty Morrissey "impression" springs to mind - shockingly crap and plain unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

He actually had Bertie on it this morning, jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He actually had Bertie on it this morning, jesus wept!

You mean "Jaysus wept."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Paul McLoone was obviously the brains in the Gift Grub team.
    He left in 2004.
    It was generally good up to this point and generally **** after.

It's not a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Paul McLoone was obviously the brains in the Gift Grub team.
    He left in 2004.
    It was generally good up to this point and generally **** after.

It's not a coincidence.

Left? You mean he stopped involvement in writing Mario's "jokes"? McLoone is still with Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I listen to Dempsey in the morning, a bit of easy listening & uplifting radio early in the morning which is all I want. He's a bit clueless at times but doesn't try to portray himself as anything else.
    GG is hit and miss as it always has been. I was a big fan of his Michael Flatley.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I think Rosenstock's main issue is that he got caught up by his own success in the 2000s and missed the whole changing of the guard, from politics to pop culture and he never took the time out to go and research who's who and work on new impressions.

Impressions aren't just about going a funny voice, especially on radio. It has to capture the essence of the personality as well as attention to detail on individual nuances of the person's speech.

Dermot Whelan does caricatures in his impressions, as well as being a funny person in his own right, imo. It's a different MO to Rosenstock, whose strength used to be the relative accuracy of his impressions.

Advertisement