Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which race do you dislike the most?

Options
  • 12-09-2016 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any Star Trek alien race, that once they appear on the screen your reaction is "uh not these guys/ episode involving them central to the plot"

I'll accept all answers, including Space Hippies.

For me it's the Kazon. Just did not like them. Found them boring version Of The Klingons, from the Delta quadrant.

Would have loved to seen more Tholians.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Talaxians..... Neelix was annoying yes but the rest of them annoy me too, they even look annoying, weird rat things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hew-mons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Bajorans, I know they were oppressed but I just found them a crowd of pseudo-spiritual whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

talaxians was already said, so i'm going with my second least favorite -

species 8472

crappy cgi aside, they were fairly useless as an arch nemesis of the borg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Oh The ferengi , short , fat , ugly, money grabbing. Yuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Tribbles??? ;)

Id probably say the Kazon also. I just hated any episode of Voyager that included them. Otherwise maybe the crystalline entity as it just had such terrible cgi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Cherons, but only the ones who are white on the left side.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

Defo the Bajorans. Used to hate when a new ep of DS9 would come on and it would be a bloody religious episode. Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Truthfully, and it's a controversial one, but, the Borg. They've been declawed beyond belief, it's such a shame, and anything from the more modern end of Trek with the Borg in it has been a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

Pakleds.

Definitely agree with the sentiments above about Bajorans, the whole sanctimonious thing got old quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Which one was julian bashir?

(Joking btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bajorans are a close second for me but the Kazon are definitely the most annoying and poorly scripted race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'll echo many here with the Bajorans.

Now, that said they had some things going for them, and I often felt that they were designed as some kind of Irish analogue (Rebellious & overtly religious people trying to break away from a more powerful occupier...sounds a little familiar). However when it boiled down to the basics, all Bajorans regardless of character or role could be described simply as 'very religious & doesn't like Cardasians'....and that's usually it.

The heavy focus on the Bajorans in Season 1 of DS9 tends to put me off watching the early stuff, wanting instead to skip ahead to the Bajor-thin 'Defiant-days' of DS9.

But they are actually second on my dislike list.

First place goes to.....The Xindi.

To me, the usage of the Xindi and their silly 'Temporal Cold War' pretty much killed ENT stone dead from episode one. I would have been willing to overlook their desire to avoid using the Klingons or the Romulans as a primary villain, if it hadn't been for how so damned 'bland' this race was. The make-up was good and all, but I could never buy the Xindi's motivation nor could I attach any kind of style to their characters. They lacked the sneakiness of the Romulans, or the rage of the Klingons. I could understand why those classic villians were doing evil deeds etc...

But the Xindi? They were being bad-guys because....well....because of 'evil', that's why! For me, the piss-poor phone-in of a villain race is the worst Star Trek has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Ok, WTF. Someone who is apparently a fan of the sci-fi series meant to show interracial and indeed interstellar post-modern cooperation, that has many episodes dealing with overcoming superficial differences, in which every episode is multicultural and multiracial, started a thread on "which race you dislike the most"? Someone is definitely taking the P here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Possibly the most racist thread I've ever seen on boards and there's nothing I can do about it! :p

Definitely the Ferengi followed closely by the Bajorans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Speedwell wrote: »
    Ok, WTF. Someone who is apparently a fan of the sci-fi series meant to show interracial and indeed interstellar post-modern cooperation, that has many episodes dealing with overcoming superficial differences, in which every episode is multicultural and multiracial, started a thread on "which race you dislike the most"? Someone is definitely taking the P here.

Wow, *triggered post*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

The Klingons. Especially the episode where they landed on Uranus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭furiousox

Romulans.
    Bastards!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Always thought it was a bit backwards and anthropocentric how most aliens were a bunch of stereotypes whereas most humans were just characters.

Also, maybe I'm projecting some inbuilt anti-semitism or something, but it seems like sci-fi has an awful tendency to create races of space-jews.

Ferengi or the Toidarians in Star Wars would be examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What's with the hate for the Ferengi? I really don't get that, DS9 elevated them to genius level in so many episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm not really seeing the Bajoran hate to be honest. I just finished season 1 and watched the 3 part Circle episodes, and they were brilliant. There's obviously a seriously religious side to them, but you've got plenty of non religious (or religious for the sake of power) people like Wynn and Minister Jacobi. I really enjoyed that trilogy of episodes.

Then again...maybe they are working as intended.
    The species was therefore set up to present a different perspective that would perplex and often irritate righteous Starfleet officers such as Jean-Luc Picard.

As for most hated, I'd have to say The Borg from Voyager. How thee writers could take one of the most menacing enemies in a show, and make them into the absolute **** show that they did is beyond me. You could argue that First Contact started it, with the Queen, but at least they were still incredibly dangerous. A few drones managed to take over the Enterprise afterall. Then Voyager happened, and a science vessel managed to survive multiple encounters with them. Not to mention Janeway's brilliant plan to get assimilated...haha, nope only pretending! We're fine.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm not really seeing the Bajoran hate to be honest. I just finished season 1 and watched the 3 part Circle episodes, and they were brilliant. There's obviously a seriously religious side to them, but you've got plenty of non religious (or religious for the sake of power) people like Wynn and Minister Jacobi. I really enjoyed that trilogy of episodes.

Then again...maybe they are working as intended.

As for most hated, I'd have to say The Borg from Voyager. How thee writers could take one of the most menacing enemies in a show, and make them into the absolute **** show that they did is beyond me. You could argue that First Contact started it, with the Queen, but at least they were still incredibly dangerous. A few drones managed to take over the Enterprise afterall. Then Voyager happened, and a science vessel managed to survive multiple encounters with them. Not to mention Janeway's brilliant plan to get assimilated...haha, nope only pretending! We're fine.

Ugh.

I also enjoyed the Circle story arc, which was a good example of them utilizing Bajoran characters. I'd agree that there was plenty examples of well written encounters with Bajorans starting off excellently with TNG's Ro Lauren and continuing with the very political & menacing Kai Wynn. To be honest I think they could have gone even further with her and turned her into a pro-Dominion Quisling (much like Gul Dukat was initially), essentially signing over power in Bajor in order to increase her own grip. Having the Bajorans rise up against her iron rule would have been an excellent side-plot to the main war.

However beyond that, I had often felt that Bajorans were somewhat underdeveloped and became a fairly good example of the lazy writing of the later Berman years in Star Trek. An episode heavily featuring Bajorans might sometimes do away with character-driven drama and instead have everything boil down to things happening because: "The Prophets said so..." or because of something happening "during the Occupation". These alone are ok reasons to drive the drama of a story, but I often felt that these were severely overused whenever they wrote anything Bajor-related.

My dislike of this particular race in the show is mostly down to frustration with yet another missed opportunity mixed with writer laziness. Kind of the same reason I don't like Voyager.

On a side-note, I would like to change my most disliked alien race. Instead of the Xindi I choose:

The Ba'ku / So'na

1998's 'Star Trek: Insurrection' was not only a disappointing misnomer of a title, but also a very good example of how to write the most squeekily clean & annoying alien race you can imagine combined with the laziest villian that any makeup dept. could buy.

The long-lived Ba'ka felt and looked like something you would stick into the daytime programming of an US Family-oriented channel, with a sweetness level that would give many some form of diabetes. The annoying Ba'ku kid that Data befriends really does give Naomi Wildman a run for her money, and that's saying something.

On the flip side of this race are the Evil So'na. You know they are evil because they re-used the skin-stretching makeup from First Contact on them, so they look "wierd" (aka Evil). Also they are angry a lot and have technology. Therefore they are EVIL!!!!

This kind of lazy writing just p*sses me off on so many levels, and contributes to making what is probably the only Star Trek film (apart from Into Darkness) that I have only ever seen once.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What's with the hate for the Ferengi? I really don't get that, DS9 elevated them to genius level in so many episodes.

Personally the Ferengi are one of my favourite races (if not my favourite) in the Trek Universe - they're so well developed in Deep Space Nine and while they're so often a source of humour they really do manage to show a lot of depth with the likes of Quark, Nog (both of whom make my Top 10 Star Trek characters list) and Rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Has to be the Kardashians for me ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Speedwell wrote: »

Blah blah blah. Nothing to do with race. Just which race has the worst stories.

Kazon. Poor-man's Klingons. No redeeming factors at all. Boring. Weak. Never amounted to a threat. To be expected though I suppose from Voyager. A Symbol of everything that was voyager. Pretty much ANY species on Voyager after a couple of episodes:
    Kazon. Never up to scratch
    Species 12345. Shapeshifters pretending to be my favourite martian
    Irish. 'Nuff said
    Borg. Totally neutered
    Hirogen. Started good. Declawed by end
    Shiny-faced-not-Borg. Shiny-faced-not-Borg

But yeah. Kazon :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Vidiian's and the Hirogen both started off really well in Voyager, only to not be used to their potential. The Vidiian's especially could have been a pretty good enemy for a season or two, but they were probably too dark for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Sparko

Kiith wrote: »
    The Vidiian's and the Hirogen both started off really well in Voyager, only to not be used to their potential. The Vidiian's especially could have been a pretty good enemy for a season or two, but they were probably too dark for the show.

It didn't help that the Hirogen were absolutely enormous in their first appearance, towering over Tuvok and Seven, only to appear more or less human height for the rest of their appearances.

Sparko wrote: »
    It didn't help that the Hirogen were absolutely enormous in their first appearance, towering over Tuvok and Seven, only to appear more or less human height for the rest of their appearances.

They really could have done so much more with the Hirogen. They had great potential as a feared species.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Q

• Advertisement

Q

I like TNG, DS9 Q. I did not really like Voyager Q, but it did make voyager more bareable

Advertisement