Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Werewolf discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

gufc21 wrote: »
    Posted this in back forum but said I'd post here too incase powers that be miss it.

I was saying it to tigger last night. What if we were to create say 30 new accounts on boards, with permission, so that they can be randomly assigned for games? I mean it would still be good to have non annon games but it does add something to the game...

The accounts could be made that they could only be used on the ww forum
    And we could call them John---, Jane--- etc find a suffix that would identify them as shared accounts

I do this that more complex game can be run on the dedicated forum. I do also feel that we should run games on each and that we should run basic vanilla games here to attract more people .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

Tigger wrote: »
    I do this that more complex game can be run on the dedicated forum. I do also feel that we should run games on each and that we should run basic vanilla games here to attract more people .

Ooo fortnightly games. Tigger your a genius

Anymore of ur fb crew coming over, always need new blood :)

Coolhul came over for this one, duno why he didnt play tbh. Will ask him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There's no doubt playing games on the backroom forum has many advantages - the primary advantage being anonymity. It prevents players using their preconceived notions of others. I'd certainly be up for another game in that style.

However, for balance, games played here on Boards.ie are more public and are great for getting new players on board. New players are unknown and not as predictable as those that have a 'track record'.

The best of both worlds would be to have games running regularly on both sites - assuming we get enough players and willing game mods.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The accounts could be made that they could only be used on the ww forum
    And we could call them John---, Jane--- etc find a suffix that would identify them as shared accounts

Newbie perspective: I had never heard of the game (shame on me:o) before I stumbled across a thread on the main page of boards one night so I definitely think games should be held here.

HOWEVER - the presentation and the in-game anonymity of the other forum completely immersed me in the game from start to finish. Loved every minute of it.

So I completely agree with your statement, Tigger. Plus, potentially more games makes me very excited!!

Exactly what I was thinking!

Necrominus wrote: »
    Newbie perspective: I had never heard of the game (shame on me:o) before I stumbled across a thread on the main page of boards one night so I definitely think games should be held here.

I totally agree, wolfie.

That's how I discovered it. I saw the first game on AH and clicked in and was intriuged. Somebody dropped out and Daddy Jayop was looking for a sub and I volunteered. Then I got sucked in. No regrets!

Coolhull and myself were reffing a game on sunday. By the time he got on (think mon morn) he was too far behind and found it to much hassle to catch up on the backroom interface.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

crosstownk wrote: »
    I totally agree, wolfie.

That's how I discovered it. I saw the first game on AH and clicked in and was intriuged. Somebody dropped out and Daddy Jayop was looking for a sub and I volunteered. Then I got sucked in. No regrets!

I'm going to have to change my username, aren't I:o:o Looking forward to your game!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is there any other sites where this is played that one could recommend? I'd love a bit more practice before the next boards game?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Coolhull and myself were reffing a game on sunday. By the time he got on (think mon morn) he was too far behind and found it to much hassle to catch up on the backroom interface.

colohal?

He messaged me about it, forgot to get back here. He fell behind on Sunday and wasn't able to catch up on boards, says he prefers fb for now and will be back over here when he gets a laptop.

colohal?

He messaged me about it, forgot to get back here. He fell behind on Sunday and wasn't able to catch up on boards, says he prefers fb for now and will be back over here when he gets a laptop.

It was the backroom. Hes fine with the touch site

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Im already a wee bit addicted, should i really celebrate the prospect of having more of my fix available?

Hell yeah!!!

Like maybe a standard vanilla that requirs 0 mod effort. Pick the roles you want to implement but forget about themes and stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Like maybe a standard vanilla that requirs 0 mod effort. Pick the roles you want to implement but forget about themes and stories.

You mean for a quick game before the next one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

XI.5?
    how can you run a game without a mod? neither the other place or boards has an autobot. (that i know of)

[p.s. i luv edit ]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Necrominus wrote: »

HOWEVER - the presentation and the in-game anonymity of the other forum completely immersed me in the game from start to finish. Loved every minute of it.

So I completely agree with your statement, Tigger. Plus, potentially more games makes me very excited!!

I agree totally.

Was very curious and came across this by accident. I loved the anonimity but also thought the different character names added intrigue and fun prejudice.

Everytime I read Wendy's posts I kept thinking of an old trampy whore... Kept having visions of pat delivering bread while being a nosey git about everybody's business.

Weyland made me think of alien movie (that I went to see in lighthouse cinema during the week) so I should of gone with my gut at the end.

the funny thing was sometimes I forgot my own username and would read my posts and go "oh that looks suspicious "... "oh no wait , that's me and I'm a woman and I'm supposed to be funny but I'm not!"

I really missed the game later today. Think somebody said it was like getting home from the Gaeltacht.. you miss your friends.. and manipulative bastard killers..

If next game is early June I will be on holiday but I would still definitely like to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Absolutely great game. Thanks so much to the mods who must have put a huge amount of effort and prep into that one.

I agree with what's been said before. Using the backroom to run the whole game allows for anonymity and some character colour which was great for a relative newbie to the game. The only downside for me was the site on mobile isn't pleasant but it's usable and I mostly used my laptop as a result.

I would worry about having too many games there though because I'd never have found out about WW but for this forum. If it was possible to facilitate the same anonymity here then that would be the ideal I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Loughc wrote: »
    Is there any other sites where this is played that one could recommend? I'd love a bit more practice before the next boards game?

There's a good few sites that play. I'll try to link a few for you after the weekend.

The only issues I have with off site games is that firstly we're not going to get new players which we always need, and secondly there's potential for it to cause hassle with the boards uppers if we're diverting traffic from the forum to another forum albeit for a week at a time. This is a business after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Also, anon accounts here will not happen. No point even talking about it. You have to remember that mods don't deal with user permissions for the most part so you'd have to get an admin to deal with it. Barring boards giving someone that plays admin rights it's a non runner.

I wonder would DeVore be interested in a game... He'd have all those mod powers and is an avid gamer

They don't play like we do
    Even with me and mick and Dottie not playing the level of banter and stuff that goes on on an Irish site is different to other sites

That said Mafiauniverse.com looks the biz

this product placement was brought to you by mafia universe

Jayop wrote: »
    Also, anon accounts here will not happen. No point even talking about it. You have to remember that mods don't deal with user permissions for the most part so you'd have to get an admin to deal with it. Barring boards giving someone that plays admin rights it's a non runner.

All we'd need is 30 accounts
    The passwords go back in a bucket and are changed and handed out for the next game
    We could each make an extra account and then the GM swaps the passwords and hands them out again
    Strictly no posting outside th ww forum where's the issue ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Thingyman posted a link to a list on the other thread of all playing the Championships. I can't recommend any though as Boards is the only one I've ever known.

Jayop wrote: »
    There's a good few sites that play. I'll try to link a few for you after the weekend.

The only issues I have with off site games is that firstly we're not going to get new players which we always need, and secondly there's potential for it to cause hassle with the boards uppers if we're diverting traffic from the forum to another forum albeit for a week at a time. This is a business after all.

Yeah but aside from the other reason let's take a vanilla game
    If im a wolf I'm always gonna target the same 3 players in the first three kills
    I might change in my mind who they are but before they post as soon as I see the sign up sheet I'll have noted that they are for the munch straight away

Look at necro positively flying along in this game I watched him and all his plans and cunning
    Next game if I'm a wolf he'll be lucky to get to the Monday afternoon
    That's not gonna be very nice for him
    Remember the mod who came her and was munched first twice and left?

Anonymity needs to be part of at least half the games or it will become a rut and numbers will drop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

All we'd need is 30 accounts
    The passwords go back in a bucket and are changed and handed out for the next game
    We could each make an extra account and then the GM swaps the passwords and hands them out again
    Strictly no posting outside th ww forum where's the issue ?

Unless the sharing of an account is strictly forbidden by some charter or something stupid like that I can't see why this suggestion wouldn't be possible. You have 30 Accounts named random names (such as the names in the game just gone) passwords are kept private in the WerewolfGM account and changed every game. Can mods restrict users from posting in other forums? If so then just do that with the game accounts so they physically can't post anywhere else on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

They could presumably just ban the accounts from every other forum.

No guarantee they would, they're quite uptight about people posting from more than one account.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No point speculating. Ask Sully and let her make the decision on whether it's possible or not.

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote:
    Look at necro positively flying along in this game I watched him and all his plans and cunning Next game if I'm a wolf he'll be lucky to get to the Monday afternoon That's not gonna be very nice for him Remember the mod who came her and was munched first twice and left?

Thanks for the comments Tigger. Much appreciated. If I got munched straight out of the gates I'd take it as a compliment but I know what you mean.

Good players here when their usernames are what they are now are well known so the anonymity makes for a better game. I absolutely loved the format of this game.

But it is important to run games here as well to add new users so it's a catch 22 situation.

Advertisement