Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance semi/private costs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We went public on 2 in the rotunda.
    My wife was given a semi private bed on the first as a public patient and was in 4 days.
    The second she was in a week. 3 days prior to birth and 4 after. Junior was in an incubator for 3 nights.
    Any extra scans we wanted ,we just went to a private clinic and claimed back on insurance.
    We spent most of both pregnancies in the emergency room.
    The "secret" to getting out of clinics quickly was to get an early slot and be there early to get your number quickly when checin opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Ok I thought the 6 week check was included in the fees :(
    My sister went fully private on her two kids and had to pay for gp when pregnant (not that she went much).

It's all money!! My insurance covers 3500 or 3200 accommodation. Does anyone know what happens if you are admitted for 4 nights? Or if you get admitted prior to birth?

I had big drama with my insurance company in the last few weeks over accommodation luckily they reverted me back to my old plan as when they listened back to the calls at the renewal stage we were not informed about the changes to the maternity accommodation on our new plan we were told the maternity cover was the same. Basically the new plan we went with in Jan only covered 385 euro in total off all accommodation stay which of course wouldn't even cover one semi p night. We would have had to pay for any additional nights unless we have to have a c section then we would have been covered for as many nights as were deemed medically necessary. But for a vaginal delivery we would have only got 385 back. Costs could have went up dramatically I stayed three nights after my first baby so that would have cost €2475. Its really important to clarify about your accommodation as you dont want to feel like you have to rush out the door before you are ready because of costs. I wanted to stay the three nights last time to make sure my milk was in and I feel i will prob be the same this time to make sure all is ok with the feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ttc number 2

Ok just checked online. My insurance covers 3500 for accommodation. If you stay less than three nights they cover 1200 post natal home nursing.
    They cover 275 for gp when pregnant etc.

For normal day to day we claim 50% back so that 6 week check for baby with consultant would come under that or if we get that hsf plan we would get 100% back.

If fully private how many consultant visits do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

As many as you need. That's my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was seen every five or six weeks, then every two weeks after 28/30 weeks then weekly after 36 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Depends on your consultant but my experience was similar to lazygal's with one or two extra visits when something cropped up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was seen weekly from weeks 7-12 and fortnightly from then until now (week 28). I have seen consultant/another doctor maybe 7 times so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Semi private in the Rotunda, in 2014 and 2016.
    1100eur I think for Registrar led care. That's the only money we ever paid, we went with the combined care HSE scheme, so I alternated the GP and the hospital each visit. Mini scan at every visit. We were booked in according to the combined care "timetable", so gets more regular as pregnancy goes along. You may see a different consultant every visit, with our second child, the first consultant we saw liked to see his patients all the way through, so he booked us in for him for each visit.
    Appointments can be slow, but really just depends.
    Semi private room each time. Five days in hospital after no.1 (due to her needing antibiotics) and a return the following week for me (post partum haemorrage). No problems with insurance etc, straight to semi-private room each time.They won't schedule you for a private room if your insurance doesn't cover it, but you can ask on the day (I checked this second time round!) and you might get lucky.
    You can claim back on tax. And my insurance company never really answered that but told me - sure send it in and we'll see what we can do (Aviva).
    Can't fault the hospital or care on anything, they were superb.

Ok so maybe I may be seen 10-12 times? That is a lot per visit if you divide it up? Much more expensive than seeing the same consultant for a gyne issue? I paid 180. I presume though you may see them more depending on your pregnancy?
    Does anyone know do private fees cover harmony test?

I had a "live chat" with laya and conversation gets emailed to you. I am covered 3 days or 3,500 for normal delivery and 5 days for c section. If admitted for any other reason I am covered for private room for as long is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

No Harmony would be extra. I had maybe 15 appointments with consultant then she saw me each morning I was an inpatient (7) and again before she went home those days. She delivered the baby and did my six week check then a few weeks later smear and put in coil for me. I didn't pay extra for any scans as she did them all herself

• Advertisement

We have decided to go private.
    Question is which has more private rooms 1) rotunda 2) coombe?

If pregnancy goes over 2 insurance policy years can you claim back in each year? As you pay consultant in instalments?

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

We have decided to go private.
    Question is which has more private rooms 1) rotunda 2) coombe?

If pregnancy goes over 2 insurance policy years can you claim back in each year? As you pay consultant in instalments?

Thanks a million

No its per pregnancy , I see your point if your renewal is in between but the insurance company will more then likely get one total bill from consultant, even if they don't they would still only count a number of bills as one if its same pregnancy.

No its per pregnancy , I see your point if your renewal is in between but the insurance company will more then likely get one total bill from consultant, even if they don't they would still only count a number of bills as one if its same pregnancy.

Not to worry ;)

If I go private do I go to gp first to sign that form for free gp visits, then go to consultant whole time? But sign form in case I need to go gp that is pregnancy related? I suffered hyperemesis last time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Hi Ladies,

I have a question on semi-private cover. I am currently considering whether to go semi-private or public in Holles Street/The Coombe. I'm trying to establish however the full costs of going semi-private. I rang my insurance company yesterday and they said that I'm covered for 3 nights for a normal delivery and 5 nights for cesarean. Holles st warned me to ask though if they covered any pre-natal nights that I might need to be in the hospital before delivery - for whatever reason. My insurance company wouldn't give me a straight answer and basically said it would depend on the consultant's report whether they would cover that. Also if there are any complications with my pregnancy (I'm still very early stages, so no complications yet - but I am 38) there might be a need for day visits - which cost about Euro400 per visit with Holles Street. My insurance seems to only cover pre/post medical expenses up to Euro400 and I can claim a max of 200 back. This would be fine if its one or two visits - but what would end up happening if I had to come in numerous times and/or stay additional nights above the 3/5 for delivery. I'm worried I could end up landed with a huge bill afterwards (aside from the standard Euro900 for fees that isn't covered by insurance) Its for this reason I'm considering going public - has anyone any advice??

Thanks so much
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

jaja321 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

I have a question on semi-private cover. I am currently considering whether to go semi-private or public in Holles Street/The Coombe. I'm trying to establish however the full costs of going semi-private. I rang my insurance company yesterday and they said that I'm covered for 3 nights for a normal delivery and 5 nights for cesarean. Holles st warned me to ask though if they covered any pre-natal nights that I might need to be in the hospital before delivery - for whatever reason. My insurance company wouldn't give me a straight answer and basically said it would depend on the consultant's report whether they would cover that. Also if there are any complications with my pregnancy (I'm still very early stages, so no complications yet - but I am 38) there might be a need for day visits - which cost about Euro400 per visit with Holles Street. My insurance seems to only cover pre/post medical expenses up to Euro400 and I can claim a max of 200 back. This would be fine if its one or two visits - but what would end up happening if I had to come in numerous times and/or stay additional nights above the 3/5 for delivery. I'm worried I could end up landed with a huge bill afterwards (aside from the standard Euro900 for fees that isn't covered by insurance) Its for this reason I'm considering going public - has anyone any advice??

Thanks so much
    x

The key word is medically necessary.

Pre / post natal cover is usually out patient things ,

If your consultant deems if you have to come in early or stay additional nights as long as its medically necessary your insurance company will cover it , the 3/5 nights is for delivery , even the 5 night is only when medically necessary it can't be elective though most consultants will put it down as necessary.

Coming in early to feel more comfortable wouldn't be medically necessary.

But never assume you are or aren't covered always ring . if your consultant says he/she wants to bring you in early ask for specifics so you can relay to your insurance company.

Same with addition nights some semi private will like to keep you for 4 nights for normal pregnancy but your insurance company will only cover 3 unless an additional night is deemed medically necessary .

Thanks arrianalexander very much for your reply! Very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much
    x

Just to reassure you I was public in the Coombe with lots of complications including inpatient treatment, BP checks three times a week, induction and distressed baby during delivery. I found it excellent. I was taken out of the GP combined scheme and moved to consultant led weekly/biweekly visits as problems started to crop up. I had so many full scans I didn't even keep all the pictures!

The post natal wards are manic but to be honest if I'm deciding again it really will be a case of 'am I willing to pay that much money for a private/semi private room' because I found the prenatal care second to none

Just to reassure you I was public in the Coombe with lots of complications including inpatient treatment, BP checks three times a week, induction and distressed baby during delivery. I found it excellent. I was taken out of the GP combined scheme and moved to consultant led weekly/biweekly visits as problems started to crop up. I had so many full scans I didn't even keep all the pictures!

The post natal wards are manic but to be honest if I'm deciding again it really will be a case of 'am I willing to pay that much money for a private/semi private room' because I found the prenatal care second to none

Thank you so much mirrorwall14 - I really appreciate that. As a total newbie it can all be a bit overwhelming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thank you so much mirrorwall14 - I really appreciate that. As a total newbie it can all be a bit overwhelming!

No problem. I have plenty of faults with the post natal care due partially to understaffing and a particularly irritating head of the ward but it did no harm and I was fully confident that we were in good hands pre natal.

The very best of luck

Advertisement