Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance semi/private costs

Options
  • 12-09-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi

I know this has been done to death. Could someone who actually went semi private give me the actual cost of it? We are hoping to get pregnant early next year and trying to figure out the cost.
    I want to go to the coombe or rotunda. Ideally the coombe due to parking.
    According to the website the cost is €750 but you pay for scans max €480. My health insurance gives me €400 towards consultant fees so would that make fee €350 and then I claim back 50% scans €240 on day to day health insurance? So I would pay €590 then claim back 20% so it would really only cost €472? Also a girl in work who is currently very very pregnant said she can get private room (if available) in coombe even though only semi private patient as her health insurance covers private room?? I am sure mine covers private room but I always thought you had to be private to get private room?

The other option is private so in the rotunda loads of consultants are €2500, health insurance covers €400 so we pay €2100 but claim back 20%. Net cost is €1680. I am guessing you don't claim anymore back on health insurance on day to day? According to website private fees include all scans etc.

Tbh I don't think we will bother with semi private as colleague seems to see different person every visit.

I have discounted holles street due to the lack of parking. We had first baby there ;)

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I've only gone semi private so can't comment on private care but yes your figures for semi private at correct. Also if it's a straight forward pregnancy you won't hit the cap on the scans. Your colleague is correct in that you can stay in a private room if your health insurance policy covers it and if there is one available. More often than not there is no private room available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ttc number 2

bovril wrote: »
    I've only gone semi private so can't comment on private care but yes your figures for semi private at correct. Also if it's a straight forward pregnancy you won't hit the cap on the scans. Your colleague is correct in that you can stay in a private room if your health insurance policy covers it and if there is one available. More often than not there is no private room available though.
    Bovril thanks a million for your response. I have no clue about all of this! I know I will need an extra scan to measure length of my cervix. So could possibly hit the max figure. What do you actually get for semi private over public? A better bed? Are apps in a different place to public? I have no clue about all this.

Bovril thanks a million for your response. I have no clue about all of this! I know I will need an extra scan to measure length of my cervix. So could possibly hit the max figure. What do you actually get for semi private over public? A better bed? Are apps in a different place to public? I have no clue about all this.

Appointments are in the semi private clinic. The waits vary. I've been in and out in 30 mins and other times have had to wait hours. You'll get a mini scan at each appointment. You also have a chance of a semi private room or private if your health insurance covers private. If you go public there is no cost for appointments or scans. You'll get great care either way but you'll almost certainly be in a public ward with public care. That might not bother you if you're not staying long after the birth. This is all for the Coombe by the way and I've never gone public so I can't comment for sure on it.

Ok, thanks a mil :) do you know how much private consultants start at in the coombe by any chance? It is closer to me than rotunda.
    I would like to stay as long as possible after birth. If I get left on a public ward though I am sure I want to go home ASAP!!

Ok, thanks a mil do you know how much private consultants start at in the coombe by any chance? It is closer to me than rotunda. I would like to stay as long as possible after birth. If I get left on a public ward though I am sure I want to go home ASAP!!

I can't remember private costs sorry. It might be on the hospital website under the list of consultants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Consultant costs in the Coombe are from €3k and up - best to ring the secretaries of any you are interested in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ok, thanks a mil :) do you know how much private consultants start at in the coombe by any chance? It is closer to me than rotunda.
    I would like to stay as long as possible after birth. If I get left on a public ward though I am sure I want to go home ASAP!!

I can pm you details of our consultant if you like, we are going private in the Coombe.

I can pm you details of our consultant if you like, we are going private in the Coombe.

Yes please Saul. Did you ever consider semi? I cant figure out any benefit from going semi p in coombe tbh. Do you know is €3k cheapest or are any €2.5k?

Semi p in rotunda has 2 options one cheaper one where you see registrar or a dearer one where you see one of three consultants. I would be happy the the latter one (except time doesn't suit) but unlike coombe you get a semi p bed even if health insurance covers private? If anyone has don't this option I would love to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

Went semi p in holles at three years ago. Cost at the time (balance covered by laya) was €900, claimed 50% of this back at end of year plus 20% tax on the other 450. Also got hit with a €47 odd charge for pathology after the birth that wasn't included in the fee. This was baby num1 so we stayed 3 nights (not sure if it was because it was baby1 or if they wanted the full amount out of health ins but there were a few other mammys on baby 2 and 3 that also stayed the full 3 nights) semi private room is holles st was a ward of 6 beds!, went public there also and was in a room of 6 beds, only difference was the semi p ward wasn't always full. Standard of care was pretty much the same in both, I found the midwives in the public ward nicer and easier to deal with but that was prob just the luck of who was on duty at the time. Semi private clinic times are diff also - public was morning in holles st, semi p was afternoon. Found we were quicker in and out of appointments when we went semi private, generally in and out in half an hour whereas public took about 2 to 2 and a half hours per apt.

I cant figure out any benefit from going semi p in coombe tbh.

The benefit is the choice of semi private/private room for a lesser cost than fully private. Also you get a scan at every appointment. Don't think you scanned at every visit going public except maybe if it was a complicated pregnancy.

• Advertisement

MichB2012 wrote: »
    Went semi p in holles at three years ago. Cost at the time (balance covered by laya) was €900, claimed 50% of this back at end of year plus 20% tax on the other 450. Also got hit with a €47 odd charge for pathology after the birth that wasn't included in the fee. This was baby num1 so we stayed 3 nights (not sure if it was because it was baby1 or if they wanted the full amount out of health ins but there were a few other mammys on baby 2 and 3 that also stayed the full 3 nights) semi private room is holles st was a ward of 6 beds!, went public there also and was in a room of 6 beds, only difference was the semi p ward wasn't always full. Standard of care was pretty much the same in both, I found the midwives in the public ward nicer and easier to deal with but that was prob just the luck of who was on duty at the time. Semi private clinic times are diff also - public was morning in holles st, semi p was afternoon. Found we were quicker in and out of appointments when we went semi private, generally in and out in half an hour whereas public took about 2 to 2 and a half hours per apt.

Michb2012 I have a policy with Laya where I claim back 50% of the day to day expenses back. With Normal consultant visits I get 50% back, but under maternity it says €400?
    All very confusing.

bovril wrote: »
    The benefit is the choice of semi private/private room for a lesser cost than fully private. Also you get a scan at every appointment. Don't think you scanned at every visit going public except maybe if it was a complicated pregnancy.

Do you know what kind of doctor do you see when semi private? Girl in work says she only ever sees someone from the "team".

Do you know what kind of doctor do you see when semi private? Girl in work says she only ever sees someone from the "team".

The head consultant is usually there every week along with one or two registrars from the team. You'll get to see one or the other. You might not get to see the same dr each visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Semi private in holles St I saw the consultant (I had chosen) 95% of the time. I think there were only 2 appointments where she wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Sorry to hijack but I didnt see the point of starting a new thread.

We are going semi-private in Holles Street. When we went in for out first scan on Monday, we paid the €900 and then got a bill a few days later for the blood tests at €125.

While we were there we got the information pack on the costs of the rooms. €1000 per night for private or €815 for semi private. This is where I get confused. We are with Aviva. Will we be paying this money or will health insurance cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

Check your policy or phone them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Hi!

Bit late to this but thought I would answer anyway.

We are currently semi-p at the Coombe, I have seen the same consultant at all of our appointments so far.
    On my first pregnancy, there were some complications at the birth. Following that they have to keep a closer eye on us this time around. I cannot fault the level of care we are being given by the consultant and other doctors from other teams within the hospital.

On our last appointment we ended up waiting an hour because the consultant was called to an emergency section. I'm pretty sure this can happen if you're going private too. Otherwise we're usually in and out within about half an hour. I love getting the little scans at each appointment and to be honest for me that in itself is worth it!

On my last baby (also semi-p) I was given a private room and have indicated this as my preference this time around too if there is a room available. I spent my first night on a ward and was moved the next day when a room became free.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack but I didnt see the point of starting a new thread.

We are going semi-private in Holles Street. When we went in for out first scan on Monday, we paid the €900 and then got a bill a few days later for the blood tests at €125.

While we were there we got the information pack on the costs of the rooms. €1000 per night for private or €815 for semi private. This is where I get confused. We are with Aviva. Will we be paying this money or will health insurance cover?

Be very careful about this ring your insurance company asap!! We changed our policy in Jan and at the time we were told our maternity package was the same as our last package! In our last package we were covered for three nights accommodation in a semi p ward or a private room for three nights should one be available. However when i rang glo health to clarify accommodation coverage after seeing that letter in the pack, its wasnt there last time so thought there may be a change, they told me they are only giving 385 euro towards my whole length of stay! So if i stay two nights i will be charged the 825 or whatever it is for each of the two nights and my insurance will only give me 385 euro towards it! I have asked the insurance company to listen back to the tapes as we were definitely told our new plan was the same from a maternity point of view as our last!

That's very strange Jen. What policy are you on?

It's with glo health the plan is called bloom our previous plan was good! I rang cornmarket today to see if there is any update but they said it takes up to five working days to review the tapes!

• Advertisement

Im with Glohealth also. Net most 500 with enhanced maternity and it should cover me for 3 full nights in private room and semi private after that.

That's what I had and what I thought I still had hopefully it will all get sorted!

Thank you to all the replies. I am just wondering, if you go private do you do combined care with the GP? If yes is there are discount in fees?

Also if you get admitted during pregnancy do you get put on a public ward if you are private?

The other thing I discovered which may be of use to someone is "hsf plans". If you get one the month before you are pregnant they pay out a grant on the birth. Grant is paid even if you go public etc. Grant is basically the amount of the plan but you can claim up to 100% back on loads of things depending on plan. A lot of people getting hsf plans in addition to health insurance. :)

Thank you to all the replies. I am just wondering, if you go private do you do combined care with the GP? If yes is there are discount in fees?

Also if you get admitted during pregnancy do you get put on a public ward if you are private?

The other thing I discovered which may be of use to someone is "hsf plans". If you get one the month before you are pregnant they pay out a grant on the birth. Grant is paid even if you go public etc. Grant is basically the amount of the plan but you can claim up to 100% back on loads of things depending on plan. A lot of people getting hsf plans in addition to health insurance. :)

If you go private you can do combined care if you wish but really there's no need as consultant will see you every 4 weeks anyway and there's no reduction in fees. It does mean the baby would be entitled to the free 2 and 6 week check after birth though.

If you get admitted during pregnancy you are more likely to be in a semi private ward, but if a private bed is available you may get it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If you go private you can do combined care if you wish but really there's no need as consultant will see you every 4 weeks anyway and there's no reduction in fees. It does mean the baby would be entitled to the free 2 and 6 week check after birth though.

If you get admitted during pregnancy you are more likely to be in a semi private ward, but if a private bed is available you may get it

I went fully private and 2+6 week checks were done with my gp at no cost. Also gp visits on the rare occasion I needed them were free.

lazygal wrote: »

I went fully private and 2+6 week checks were done with my gp at no cost. Also gp visits on the rare occasion I needed them were free.
    Lazygal does consultant not do the 6 week check if private?
    Hsf cover harmony test if anyone interested! Rang them today.

Consultant does 6 week check for mother but baby also has one and a check at 2 weeks. If you haven't signed up for combined care the GP doesn't get paid for the checks so wouldn't generally do them. We were happy to have a paediatrician do the 6 week check anyway as there was an anomaly on ultrasound that meant paed checked her after birth anyway so we went back to same doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Lazygal does consultant not do the 6 week check if private?
    Hsf cover harmony test if anyone interested! Rang them today.
    My gp did 2+6 week checks. Wasn't paying €100 for the paediatrician to check them when I knew they were fine! I had a separate check up with my consultant at 12 weeks post partum, but I know if I required it I'd have had more appointments.

Ok I thought the 6 week check was included in the fees :(
    My sister went fully private on her two kids and had to pay for gp when pregnant (not that she went much).

It's all money!! My insurance covers 3500 or 3200 accommodation. Does anyone know what happens if you are admitted for 4 nights? Or if you get admitted prior to birth?

• Advertisement

It's all money!! My insurance covers 3500 or 3200 accommodation. Does anyone know what happens if you are admitted for 4 nights? Or if you get admitted prior to birth?

You can ring the insurance company to be sure but if it's medically necessary for you to stay before then it's most likely covered on your normal policy (outside pregnancy care). After the birth if you have to stay longer it's usually covered too.

Advertisement