Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIV and new baby

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Cerocco wrote: »
    I'm bringing Ziggy back to the vets tomorrow cuz he is just not eating. I'll do whatever the Vet thinks is best. I'll let ye know how we get on

good luck op. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm bringing Ziggy back to the vets tomorrow cuz he is just not eating. I'll do whatever the Vet thinks is best. I'll let ye know how we get on

All the very best. Enjoy your evening with him. Lots of cuddles.

xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

.So we went to the Vets this morn. Ziggy had a temp of 104 so he has been kept in for the weekend. The vet said he would see what was causing the temp before any decisions will be made. He is going to give Ziggy appetite stimulants to try to get him eating. Fingers crossed

Oh fab, that's excellent. Hopefully he'll come round!!!

Everything crossed!

So Ziggy has been in the Vets since Saturday. The temp came down yesterday and vet said if it stayed down he could come home today. Just off the phone. Temp has spiked again and Vet said it's probably best to put him to sleep as the antibiotics aren't really doing much. I've to go up this afternoon to make the decision. Should I just bring him home and let him die peacefully here or just rip the bandage off and say goodbye today. I don't know

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Why prolong the suffering for the poor creature?
    It think the kinder thing to do is PTS given that it is unlikely the situation will improve...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

So Ziggy has been in the Vets since Saturday. The temp came down yesterday and vet said if it stayed down he could come home today. Just off the phone. Temp has spiked again and Vet said it's probably best to put him to sleep as the antibiotics aren't really doing much. I've to go up this afternoon to make the decision. Should I just bring him home and let him die peacefully here or just rip the bandage off and say goodbye today. I don't know

If you bring him home to die, I'm afraid it probably won't be peaceful.

Is there some food that he really, really loves? when I've had to have dogs pts I've taken ham or sausage, and fed them while the vet injected them, so that it was as pleasant an experience for them as possible. They went to sleep eating lovely food with the person that loved them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Say goodbye today at the vets.

You would only be bringing him home for you, not for him.

Go and be with him and let him go peacefully.

Best of luck, so sorry he has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I'm so sorry. :-( never an easy decision but let him go at the vets. It's the kindest act you can do for him now. Xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

Why is Musketeer4 being called a troll,is he not entitled to post too.

My friends baby was born twenty years ago with devastating health problems,she has never walked or talked and is totally mentally and physically incapacitated.

I became pregnant a few months after this childs birth and while sitting in a waiting room I picked up a leaflet warning pregnant women against cat litter,it listed all the complications cat litter can cause to foetuses and it sounded like this is what happened to my friends baby.I thought back to visiting my friend when she was pregnant,each and every time the cat lay on the windowsill staring at us.I have often wondered did the litter cause the babys health defects,maybe not but anyone who has cats and is pregnant should be very careful.

• Advertisement

Mary63 wrote: »

My friends baby was born twenty years ago with devastating health problems,she has never walked or talked and is totally mentally and physically incapacitated.

I became pregnant a few months after this childs birth and while sitting in a waiting room I picked up a leaflet warning pregnant women against cat litter,it listed all the complications cat litter can cause to foetuses and it sounded like this is what happened to my friends baby.I thought back to visiting my friend when she was pregnant,each and every time the cat lay on the windowsill staring at us.I have often wondered did the litter cause the babys health defects,maybe not but anyone who has cats and is pregnant should be very careful.

This sounds like something out of a ghost story.

What about all the millions of babies that are born to cat owners who are perfectly healthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I wonder can I blame my childs Autism on our 3 Cats.....You're just throwing out possibilities there with no evidence....and a Cats glare from a windowsill :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Ah god you poor thing, it's so hard. Having recently lost a cat myself, I can safely say that 99% of the time you would regret bringing him home. To let them go in the vets is so quick and so peaceful, they don't have any more suffering and just slip quietly to sleep. The night I decided that my guy would be going in the next day, it was hard, I wished I could have done it then as it was so hard to see him suffer even those couple of hours more. I miss him terribly and it still hurts but I've not regretted it either.
    Whatever you decide in the end, just know you've done all you can for the poor fella. I'll be thinking of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

+1 for having them put your cat to sleep in the surgery.
    It will be less traumatic in general, for both of you
    The vet will give the cat an injection and it will all be over in seconds
    Bringing him home to die could go on for days.
    Dont inflict that on the poor cat, or on yourself. Watching him slowly waste away will be torture
    Its horrible, its sad, its heartbreaking, but its what you need to do to prevent the cats illness/pain/misery being prolonged.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Agree with all the above - best do it at the vets, he'll go peacefully and quickly, usually when they are that sick it takes seconds, bringing him home could take days for him to starve to death. I know it's hard, but it is the best we can do for our pets. Sending hugs your way!:)

Agree with all the above - best do it at the vets, he'll go peacefully and quickly, usually when they are that sick it takes seconds, bringing him home could take days for him to starve to death. I know it's hard, but it is the best we can do for our pets. Sending hugs your way!:)

That depends. My vet comes to my home and does it at home.It's always very very peaceful.it also allows the other cats- cats do have best mates- to say goodbye. I might be considered mad but I I always noticed when one of my cats went that the cats he/she would hang out with most would come over, have a sniff, sometimes sit/lie with the departed cat for a while before going their own way. :(

I know there is no evidence but the baby did suffer the exact symptoms that the HSE leaflet said could be caused by an infection which can be caused by cat litter.It is one of the few infections that can infect a baby in the womb,mostly babies are protected within the womb from viruses.

I have always wondered is this what happened and did my friend ever consider it herself or would the hospital staff have mentioned this could have happened because of the cat.

It is obviously something that can happen if the HSE were placing notices in ante natal clinics and I don't see why anyone should be calling another poster a troll for mentioning it.

I have never read a HSE leaflet blaming autism on cats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It is obviously something that can happen if the HSE were placing notices in ante natal clinics and I don't see why anyone should be calling another poster a troll for mentioning it.

Mary63, can you please indicate where anyone called a poster a troll? Or report the post.
    Thanks,
    DBB

don't feed the troll Kathleen....:D

This is the quote and it refers to another posters post.

I thought he gave very sensible advice in relation to cats and babies.

I hate that "don't feed the Troll stuff",its so childish.

This is the quote and it refers to another posters post.

I thought he gave very sensible advice in relation to cats and babies.

I hate that "don't feed the Troll stuff",its so childish.

Thank you Mary63, I hadn't noticed that.
    I must remind all users that "calling troll" is explicitly against the forum charter... If you think someone is trolling, please report it, do not take matters into your own hands.
    Similarly, if posters notice breaches of the rules, please report them rather than dealing with it yourself.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Whoosh

I know there is no evidence but the baby did suffer the exact symptoms that the HSE leaflet said could be caused by an infection which can be caused by cat litter.It is one of the few infections that can infect a baby in the womb,mostly babies are protected within the womb from viruses.

I have always wondered is this what happened and did my friend ever consider it herself or would the hospital staff have mentioned this could have happened because of the cat.

Maybe your friend shook hands with someone who'd changed cat litter and hadn't washed their hands and 3 cats were staring in the window?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Ms Doubtfire1 I usually get mine done at home too as much nicer and less stressful and surrounded by their buddies, but if in the vets and rigged upto a drip then kinder to do it then and there as vein already to go, transporting a sick cat home which is stressful too then getting the vet to try and find a vein again is not always easy! It just depends on how sick they are, where they are i guess and how with it the animal is too, as long as the owner is with them then I think that's the important thing. We used to get folk drop off pets to be pts and it was always pretty stressful and sad for the animal being surrounded by strangers at the last.

We used to get folk drop off pets to be pts and it was always pretty stressful and sad for the animal being surrounded by strangers at the last.

:(:(:(

We used to get folk drop off pets to be pts and it was always pretty stressful and sad for the animal being surrounded by strangers at the last.

Fully agree. that last bit..it makes me terribly sad.I could never do that.I would never ever let them cross over without me present.

I know it's been a few months since I posted. I couldn't let Ziggy go. He had a huge amount of spirit left and I knew it wasn't his time. I gave him lots of love, time and affection. On Monday after pre arranging the appointment I brought him to the vets. He had been soiling his bed and was very weak. I was absolutely devastated but I'm told I did the right thing. I just wanted to let ye know

mcginty28 wrote: »
    <snip, post deleted> Please don't feed the troll, who has been banned.

You are a horrible person and I have reported your post. Don't have anything more to say to you really.

I know it's been a few months since I posted. I couldn't let Ziggy go. He had a huge amount of spirit left and I knew it wasn't his time. I gave him lots of love, time and affection. On Monday after pre arranging the appointment I brought him to the vets. He had been soiling his bed and was very weak. I was absolutely devastated but I'm told I did the right thing. I just wanted to let ye know

I won't even comment on the little scrote above but I reported also.

Cerocco, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it must have been for you to say your final goodbye. You know your pet best so trust that the decisions you made were the right ones for him and take comfort in that. I'm sure he appreciated the extra time he had with you and all the extra love that came with it just as much as you did. Take care x

So sorry, but you did the right thing for him. He'll always be with you. I always put lots of photo's around, I find that comforting.

Take care

xx

• Advertisement

So sorry, but you did the right thing for him. He'll always be with you. I always put lots of photo's around, I find that comforting.

Take care

xx

Advertisement