Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIV and new baby

Options
  • 12-09-2016 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I'm devastated, my 10 year old cat has been diagnosed with FIV. I have a 9 week old baby and I'm terrified that he will be at risk of catching something from the cat. The vet says it can't be transmitted to humans but I still can't help worrying. My cat has lost a load of weight and today vomited what looked like bile up. I don't know what to do for the best. Should I have him put to sleep, I really don't know

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

FIV is not transmissible to humans so no need to worry about that.

TBH if I were you I would have the animal destroyed anyway. It is now a reactor and is at high risk of spreading the virus to other cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    FIV is not transmissible to humans so no need to worry about that.

TBH if I were you I would have the animal destroyed anyway. It is now a reactor and is at high risk of spreading the virus to other cats.

I don't know how anybody can use that language when talking about living animals. Sorry to go off topic but I think it is afull. I had a dog warden knock about my dog years ago and he said that as there had been a few complaints if there was any more he would take the animal and have it destroyed. I couldn't believe it.

If the poor cat is sick then maybe the right thing is to have it put to sleep Euthanasia is a lovely thing we can offer our pets instead of them having to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kathleen37

We have several FIV positive cats. They are no problem at all.

FIV CANNOT affect humans, so you and your baby are fine.

If your cat is an outside cat, then I would recommend making it an indoor cat - not only will that help your local wildlife, but as has been mentioned, help protect the neighbourhood cats IF your cat is a fighter. None of ours are and the FIV cats we are aware of, are outside during the day, and get shut into their family sheds at night. We also have a couple of cats that live in the house.

FIV isn't a death sentence for a cat. It may barely affect them. I wouldn't be concerned about the occasional vomit; most of ours do that anyway - usually after a feast of grass. It it becomes more frequent, then that would require a trip to the vets.

Has your cat been having health issues? Why did the vet test it? We don't even bother testing any more as it makes no difference to us in relation to the cats. If your kitty has been losing weight, then I would look at maybe a more healthy diet. The main thing I've noticed about FIV cats is they can tend to have teeth problems. Again not an issue - we have a couple of complete gummers who still love their biscuits! We always make sure they are in at night, but like I said, more to protect the wildlife and to keep them off the roads in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, first of all, as has already been stated, there is NO RISK to humans from your cat. FIV just sounds scary, but there are cats who live completely symptom free, there are probably cats out there with FIV and completely undiagnosed!
    I would suggest that if your cat has lost a lot of weight, then you should resolve that issue asap. The fact that the cat is loosing weight, and you now know its got FIV, you are probably reacting (naturally) to the whole thing. Plus you now have a new baby that is making you react (naturally) too.
    So, take a deep breath, phone your vet to discuss why your cat is loosing weight. Make an apt to have it investigated if that has not been done (Im assuming it was which is how you know your cat has FIV)
    Your baby will have a healthier immune system for growing up with a pet! Continue to love your pet - just because its got this diagnosis is not time to panic and talk about having it put to sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Thanks for all the replies. I had a very sickly pregnancy so I'm afraid the cats were fed and watered and sheltered but that was mainly it. It was only 5 weeks ago I noticed how much weight he had lost. Brought him to the vets and they did a load of blood tests and all results were normal. The Vet said the cat was stressed with the new baby. However after lots of TLC he didn't show any improvement so I brought him for a second opinion to a different vet and that's where he was tested. I'm heart broken as I rescued him when I moved into my own house and he has been a constant companion since. I have 2 other cats so now I need to get them tested. Ziggy the cat how is sick is not a fighter so there is no danger of him giving it to another cat. I got dry food from the vets and from the pet shop especially to try to put weight on but he won't touch it. I have poached chicken and again he won't touch it. He grazes on the whiskas wet food. Does anyone know of another food I could try? At this rate he won't be with me much longer anyway

• Advertisement

Kathleen, No offence but I would consider it to be highly irresponsible to retain so many cats with FIV. Of course, they're no risk to humans, but you are still retaining a significant viral reservoir at your home having that many reactors. Despite whatever measures you take there is still a good chance that those animals will propagate the virus to neighboring animals. You also don't know if the apparently healthy animals are hosting a latent infection.
    In my opinion, I would judge the best course of action to be euthanizing of all of the animals.

Besides all that, in my own mind, I'm not all that gone on the idea of cats with babies.

I was just wondering, do you need to get your other two tested? We don't both anymore, and our vets are happy with that, as we know it makes no difference in relation to how they are treated. It's of course up to you, but I was just thinking it may save you a few euro.

Regarding Ziggy - cats can be so fussy, can't they? We still have to buy Felix pouches for ours, as they all love them, though the nutritional value is pretty rubbish. I've managed to at least get ours onto Applaws dry complete food too, as the quality is much, much better, and the main thing is that they actually eat it.

You can buy little sample pouches for a few euro from the pet shop (I shop in Derry as I'm in Donegal so can't suggest any places, sorry) but them eating something is the most important. Changing diet must be done gradually, rather than just trying them with new stuff, introducing with their current diets is the way to go.

Have you tried him with fish? Some of ours eat it, some don't. We have tins of sardines in oil for treats. If he eats that, perhaps try him with a spoonful along with his usual food each evening?

Does Ziggy still seem happy and is still eating? If the vet can't find anything specific, and the blood tests should have showed something, along with a physical exam, perhaps he's just slowing down a bit? He could be put out by the baby, but as long as you find some time for a cuddle, he should be grand. Things change and cats, like everyone, get used to new stuff. May just take a while...

I hope your Ziggy is ok and I hope you're enjoying the new baby!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

odd that the first blood tests didnt show anything, and the second did...
    Horrible to be recovering now from a sickly pregnancy, and your hormones probably all over the place, and the exhausted with the new baby regime, now your beloved cat is not doing well :(
    Do YOU think the cat is stressing with the new baby? Hes 10, so his world is changing a lot with you having been unwell, and now this new baby taking over your attention.
    Ive found my super fussy rescue/feral will never eat whiskas, she wont eat cooked chicken, or fish. I buy the Sheba, Gourmet and Mon Petit brands at Tesco, she will eat these exclusively. Worth spending €10 on one of each of these and see if your boy will eat these.
    Good luck - you have enough on your plate with the new baby without your pet being an issue. Hope you get him sorted soon.

Kathleen, No offence but I would consider it to be highly irresponsible to retain so many cats with FIV. Of course, they're no risk to humans, but you are still retaining a significant viral reservoir at your home having that many reactors. Despite whatever measures you take there is still a good chance that those animals will propagate the virus to neighboring animals. You also don't know if the apparently healthy animals are hosting a latent infection.
    In my opinion, I would judge the best course of action to be euthanizing of all of the animals.

Besides all that, in my own mind, I'm not all that gone on the idea of cats with babies.

Without you knowing the setup we have for the cats here, and the years and years of experience in animal rescue I have, always working alongside my vets - you're opinion in relation to me is moot.

We don't agree on this, no problem. And as you've been so forward in sharing your opinion that; "I would judge the best course of action to be euthanizing of all of the animals". My opinion is that your statement is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

A good few of my elderly ferals are carriers of FIV, it doesn't bother me at all either, they have lived alongside non carriers and the others have never contracted it, they are all neutered and we are very rural so don't see other cats not that any of them can be bothered to fight a fly let alone another cat, we have 15 of them!
    I have never treated them any different to the others except they are more prone to getting bugs, I lost one last year he was only nine, he just suddenly stopped eating and went very thin very fast, so he was pts. We lost another a month ago, again he was fine one minute then had a major fit but was fine after, a week later he stopped eating and nothing would tempt him, so we pts, he was 14, so pretty good considering. The oldest known carrier we've had was nearly twenty when he died so they can live normal lives, it's luck of the draw.
    Most of the cats where we used to live probably had FIV, so we just neutered everything that came on our farm, it's usually in most cat populations so not much can be done really except neuter as that seems to be the main way of catching it.

I'm 8 and a half months pregnant OP and other than not going near cat trays - what a shame!;) - I've done nothing different and am not worried, I've had cats around since I was born and am still alive so as long as you are on top of things hygiene wise I don't see why cats can't live with people and babies, the only thing is making sure your baby is sleeping in a cat free room as cats seem to see babies as nice hot water bottles!! I think a bit of dirt is good, being too clean has been shown to not be a good thing!!;).

OP it sounds like your cat is at the end of the road, as they are immunocompromised the slightest bit of stress or a cold can send them over the edge, so it is kinder to call it a day as they never recover or if they do by some miracle they usually have problems later like constant eye infections or respiratory issues and they never get the muscle and weight back, we've had two survive a bug but were never the same again and were pts within a year as they both went into gradual renal failure and one kept getting chest infections. So if yours has lost weight and isn't eating much chances are he's on his way out. I wouldn't bother stressing the other two for blood tests - what will it achieve, it's not curable even if they do have it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

OP it sounds like your cat is at the end of the road, as they are immunocompromised the slightest bit of stress or a cold can send them over the edge, so it is kinder to call it a day as they never recover or if they do by some miracle they usually have problems later like constant eye infections or respiratory issues and they never get the muscle and weight back, we've had two survive a bug but were never the same again and were pts within a year as they both went into gradual renal failure and one kept getting chest infections. So if yours has lost weight and isn't eating much chances are he's on his way out. I wouldn't bother stressing the other two for blood tests - what will it achieve, it's not curable even if they do have it?

Whilst I agree with everything else Bunny has said, the call if kitty is at the end of the road or not at this point is nothing more than a guess-and not even an educated one.I have seen FIV cats come back from the brink to live for years after. FIV can NOT be carried to humans in any shape or form, factually non of the feline viruses can except Toxoplasmosis which comes from cat poo and is dangerous to the unborn. Monitor your Cat op. feed high degree veterinarian food and asses the situation daily. Allow her to retreat to a quiet spot and try to spend at least 15 minutes a day with her giving hugs and attaention. you CANNOT infect your child with any virus the cat has,Do observe normal hygiene, like washing hands etc. Nothing else required.With FIV, trust me, you will KNOW when the point of no return has been reached. Also, has the vet checked the mouth? One of the most often occurring things with FIP is mouth ulcers, which stop the cat from eating-hence the weight loss.A course of AB will usually fix that.Bunny, the symptoms you're describing relate to FIP-wet and dry form.Not FIV.

A bit off topic but I would not be comfortable having cat litter trays in a house where a woman is pregnant. Cat feces is the vector of the toxoplasmosis pathogen. I wouldn't be a fan of cats in houses or around babies anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

A bit off topic but I would not be comfortable having cat litter trays in a house where a woman is pregnant. Cat feces is the vector of the toxoplasmosis pathogen. I wouldn't be a fan of cats in houses or around babies anyway.

Why not?

So long as the pregnant woman takes basic precautions and doesn't handle dirty litter trays what's the problem?

Cat poo doesn't fly through the air looking for a host for pathogens.

Why not?

Because it is an unnecessary risk that can be avoided, that's why.

Cat poo cannot fly but cats could get poo particles on their paws, then jump on the sofa then woman puts her hand on the sofa and then puts her hand to her face. Pathogens can travel a long way by contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Why not?

Cat poo cannot fly but cats could get poo particles on their paws, then jump on the sofa then woman puts her hand on the sofa and then puts her hand to her face. Pathogens can travel a long way by contact.

Sure a pregnant woman could get back change in LIDL that I'd just handled after I cleaned a litter tray! And if me aunty had balls she'd be me uncle! Don't you think it's a bit whatabouterish?

Cats don't tend to touch their poo after they go, they cover it with litter.

And any pregnant woman with a cat would be advised to take basic precautions like washing their hands after contact with the animal.

Why not?

Do you ever leave your house? I'm just wondering as you seem to be so concerned about unnecessary risks that can be avoided.

Risks are about understanding them and mitigating against them. So, no, pregnant women do not have to get rid of all cats they own, they just need to be aware of the risks related to litter trays and mitigate against it. That's just common sense, without which none of us would ever get out of bed in the mornings...

don't feed the troll Kathleen....:D

Whilst I agree with everything else Bunny has said, the call if kitty is at the end of the road or not at this point is nothing more than a guess-and not even an educated one.I have seen FIV cats come back from the brink to live for years after. FIV can NOT be carried to humans in any shape or form, factually non of the feline viruses can except Toxoplasmosis which comes from cat poo and is dangerous to the unborn. Monitor your Cat op. feed high degree veterinarian food and asses the situation daily. Allow her to retreat to a quiet spot and try to spend at least 15 minutes a day with her giving hugs and attaention. you CANNOT infect your child with any virus the cat has,Do observe normal hygiene, like washing hands etc. Nothing else required.With FIV, trust me, you will KNOW when the point of no return has been reached. Also, has the vet checked the mouth? One of the most often occurring things with FIP is mouth ulcers, which stop the cat from eating-hence the weight loss.A course of AB will usually fix that.Bunny, the symptoms you're describing relate to FIP-wet and dry form.Not FIV.

Agree with this completely.

We've recently lost our last 3 tested FIV cats. Fanger had bone cancer and had to be pts. She was 19. Her Mum, Sissy had a stroke, and died quietly and calmly in my arms. She was 24. And Lulu, just jumped up onto the worktop as I was doing the washing up (she'd never done that before) laid down and died quietly as I was asking her did she want to watch me washing up. She was 22.

Up until the end, none of these girls had had any issues.

So along with advice from my vets, that's one of the reasons I no longer test for FIV.

don't feed the troll Kathleen....:D

I apologise. You're right. I'm still smarting from the "I would judge the best course of action to be euthanizing of all of the animals" comment.

neither do I. FIP will kill much faster and is way more contagious so i test for that and FEL-v.but FIV? no. Hope kitty recovers OP. :-)

• Advertisement

neither do I. FIP will kill much faster and is way more contagious so i test for that and FEL-v.but FIV? no. Hope kitty recovers OP. :-)

Yep. Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

FIP and FEL-ve

Can you explain what these are - what they look like please?

Thanks everyone, I'm struggling to get him to eat. The vet checked his mouth and there are no issues. He is just eating small amounts. I got some sardines for him but he won't touch them. I fear he will just waste away

Cerocco wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I'm struggling to get him to eat. The vet checked his mouth and there are no issues. He is just eating small amounts. I got some sardines for him but he won't touch them. I fear he will just waste away

Cerocco, they can do a while without food. If he's hydrated he has a chance, but it is really up to you to decide now when enough is enough. Letting him waste away is NOT an option.Also keep in mind many cats will hide when their time is nearing-don't let him do that...my thoughts are with you it's a horrible time when they are so ill.

My cat isn't very interested in sardines in oil but can't get enough of sardines in tomato sauce. Same with my mums cat and my friends cat. Might be worth trying? Maxi zoo have a brand of tinned food called real nature. It is supposedly 100% natural and quite smelly. I'm sure you've tried lots of stuff but maybe there's something that could peak his interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Cerocco, they can do a while without food.

They can't; they are at risk of hepatic lipidosis if they go for more than just two or so days without food. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Have you tried the Almo Nature tins OP? It's really meat in them. That's what I'm currently feeding my FIV boy. He's eating very little as well, unfortunately he was diagnosed with cancer last week so we're in the 'make him comfortable' stage now so he gets anything at all that he'll eat but he quite likes the almo nature

Yes, no food at all is definitely a concern.

I'm surprised the Vet hasn't been more helpful, considering all the testing they did? FIV itself won't cause a cat to stop eating, so there must be something else.

OP - is your kitty indoors all the time? This rarely occurs to me as we don't really live near anyone else, but could your kitty be getting food from a neighbour at all?

Small amounts of food are ok, as long as he's eating a few times a day.

I do hope you get sorted. It's so upsetting when they are not well. I hope he comes round for you. Take care

• Advertisement

I'm bringing Ziggy back to the vets tomorrow cuz he is just not eating. I'll do whatever the Vet thinks is best. I'll let ye know how we get on

Advertisement