Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low testosterone

Options
  • 11-09-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

HI,

Hoping that somebody can give me some advise on this. I am a 26 year old male .
    Was always quite active and exercised regularly (football, running, weights) but over the past 2 years I noticed a change in my energy levels and physical appearance. I am currently 20% body fat but I wouldn't consider myself a heavy person (77kg) ,I'm what they call Skinnyfat. I have trained hard all year and have a good diet but cannot shift weight around my back/love handles which are massive..
    Also in the last number of years I went through periods of depression,anxiety and mood swings . I put all the down to my personality and my GP said the same.
    I recently started researching into Hormones and the effect they play on general well being so I decided to get my testosterone levels checked. I felt like i had all the symptoms of low testosterone.
    Along with my testosterone results I have some concerns with my eGFK (Kidney) and white blood cells which are both low

WBC - 3.3 (normal range over >4)
    eGFR - 88 ( stage 2 mild kidney injury)

would anybody have any advice if these are linked to testosterone?

Testosterone Results:

Testosterone - 485 ng/dl
    Free Testosterone - 11.8 ng/dl
    Biovailable Testosterone - 306 ng/dL
    SHGB - 623 ng/dl
    Oestradiol - 6.83 ng/dl

Am I right in saying that these seem a bit off for my age ? I know they fall within normal range but I would have though mine should be over 650

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

There is very interesting insightful expert advice available over here on this thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100997581

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Testosterone is normal. There's no reason to expect it to be over 650. Probably as well to keep it in one thread.

Normal range for eGHR is 90+, so your right on the edge there. It's only stage 2 if it present other signs of kidney disease also.

What are the units for the WBC's

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mcram3747

Thanks.

WBC count was 3.3 - Normal range is between 4 - 11

Bit concerning if it is related to kidney issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

mcram3747 wrote: »
    I am currently 20% body fat but I wouldn't consider myself a heavy person (77kg) ,I'm what they call Skinnyfat. I have trained hard all year and have a good diet but cannot shift weight around my back/love handles which are massive..

Could you further elaborate on what you mean by 'trained hard' all year? What type of training do you do?

Also, when you say you have a good diet, what do you mean by that? Your diet could be good in terms of the foods you are eating being healthy but that does not necessarily mean you will lose body fat. That will only happen if you are on a calorie deficit for a period of time i.e. consuming less calories than you are burning.

Also, did your doc give you any advice off the back of those results in terms of things you should do?

I play football so train twice a week for that - A mixture of cardio/resistance,, Also I run several times a week and some circuit training too when I get the chance.

My diet is clean - I eat plenty of fruit/veg, I don't eat processed foods and I try to cook all my meals so that sugar/sodium levels are not too high. I don't smoke and I drink very rarely . Maybe once every 2 - 3 months

I can loose weight but the portion of body fat always remains the same. Plus sometimes I notice no consistancy in my energy levels . SOme days I could run 10K at a nice pace without too much of a problem. Others if I run 1KM it feels like I am about to drop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mcram3747 wrote: »
    Thanks.

WBC count was 3.3 - Normal range is between 4 - 11

Bit concerning if it is related to kidney issues
    Was you doctor concerned with the results?

At 20% BF, love handles etc are expected tbh. What's your diet and training like? The more info you can give the better.

I'm due to see the doctor this week,

Only got results. Doc did not review these as I requested bloods from the nurse and did not initially go to the GP
    I play football so train twice a week for that - A mixture of cardio/resistance,, Also I run several times a week and some circuit training too when I get the chance.

My diet is clean - I eat plenty of fruit/veg, I don't eat processed foods and I try to cook all my meals so that sugar/sodium levels are not too high. I don't smoke and I drink very rarely . Maybe once every 2 - 3 months

I can loose weight but the portion of body fat always remains the same. Plus sometimes I notice no consistancy in my energy levels . SOme days I could run 10K at a nice pace without too much of a problem. Others if I run 1KM it feels like I am about to drop
    mcram3747 is online now Report Post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Not much help I'm afraid, but how did you calculate the 20% bf. With a calipers or an electronic scales?

It was electronic - not sure how accurate these are.. But I do carry a lot of weight around my lower back.. More than most ppl

Advertisement