Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testosterone levels low

Options
  • 10-09-2016 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

HI There ,

Hoping that somebody can give me some advise on this. I am a 26 year old male .
    Was always quite active and exercised regularly (football, running, weights) but over the past 2 years I noticed a change in my energy levels and physical appearance. I am currently 20% body fat but I wouldn't consider myself a heavy person (77kg) ,I'm what they call Skinnyfat. Also in the last number of years I went through periods of depression,anxiety and mood swings . I put all the down to my personality and my GP said the same.
    I recently started researching into Hormones and the effect they play on general well being so I decided to get my testosterone levels checked. I felt like i had all the symtoms of low testosterone

Results:

Testosterone - 485 ng/dl
    SHGB - 623 ng/dl
    Oestradiol - 6.83 ng/dl

Am I right in saying that these seem a big off ?
    if so, what are my options . ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

mcram3747 wrote: »
    HI There ,

Hoping that somebody can give me some advise on this. I am a 26 year old male .
    Was always quite active and exercised regularly (football, running, weights) but over the past 2 years I noticed a change in my energy levels and physical appearance. I am currently 20% body fat but I wouldn't consider myself a heavy person (77kg) ,I'm what they call Skinnyfat. Also in the last number of years I went through periods of depression,anxiety and mood swings . I put all the down to my personality and my GP said the same.
    I recently started researching into Hormones and the effect they play on general well being so I decided to get my testosterone levels checked. I felt like i had all the symtoms of low testosterone

Results:

Testosterone - 485 ng/dl
    SHGB - 623 ng/dl
    Oestradiol - 6.83 ng/dl

Thanks

That's up to your GP to determine and refer you to an endocrinologist. You can ask for a referral to an endocrinologist if you want.
    Hormones have a very, very delicate balance I wouldn't mess with mine unless I had discussed it with a Dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Be aware OP , there are a huge amount of people who blame their lack of progress on low test. When the real reason is not getting their nutrition quite right or their form etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It could be a hormone problem.

But it could also be food.

Or sleep.

Or training.

Or a myriad of other factors.

What it is not though, is a question that can be answered on an internet forum.

Nor is it a reason for your physical appearance or energy levels.

Go to your GP, get referred to an endocrinologist if necessary.

On the face of things - your test levels are in the low normal range, for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mcram3747

Not looking to take anything for this..

Just looking for opinions like is it low?

White blood cells came back very low also and Kidney function seems to be off

Anybody have any knowledge on this. Booked in with GP next week but some insight would be great

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Results:

Testosterone - 485 ng/dl
    SHGB - 623 ng/dl
    Oestradiol - 6.83 ng/dl

Normal range is 300-900 ng/dl.
    So no, it's not low, it's pretty normal. Test levels also fluctuate over the day. Are the units for SHBG correct?
    The results from the lab should have included references ranges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Results:

Testosterone - 485 ng/dl
    SHGB - 623 ng/dl
    Oestradiol - 6.83 ng/dl

Normal range is 300-900 ng/dl.
    So no, it's not low, it's pretty normal. Test levels also fluctuate over the day. Are the units for SHBG correct?
    The results from the lab should have included references ranges.

Advertisement