Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi soiling charge ?

Options
  • 11-09-2016 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi can anyone help me on this how much is the taxi soiling charge ? I got sick last night out of the window of the taxi I was in , drank too much but anyways I know the fare was gonna be 20 at the start . After apologizing and saying I would pay , the taxi driver wouldn't bring me home until I promised to pay him , he wanted 200 ?

I paid him 160 only but he said he would be calling today for the rest

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Google national transport authority and taxi soiling charge, the maximum charge is 140

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

According to the NTA website the max charge is 140 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

I got sick out the window of a taxi many years ago.
    Taxi driver was very rough and practically robbed me.
    I didnt even get any sick on the door of the car.
    I complained the next day and I was told to just leave it because he would be able to produce lots of taxt driver "witnesses".
    Chalk it up to experience OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Other posters are correct that it's €140 maximum, this is as per statute. If he comes to look for more point this out to him and report to the regulator.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/127/made/en/print
    Soiling charge where applicable

The reasonable cost of remedying the soiling, up to a maximum of €140.00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

GM228 wrote: »
    Other posters are correct that it's €140 maximum, this is as per statute. If he comes to look for more point this out to him and report to the regulator.

Probably worth already reporting to the regulator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But is it the soiling charge plus the fare that had accumalated as the total to pay or soiling charge only?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

If only the outside of the door had sick on it I dont think a "reasonable cost of remedy" would be very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Why would it be €140 to clean sick off the outside of the door?

One quick squirt of a hose and that's sorted.

Surely the €140 is to cover a valet and loss of earnings when the sick is on the seats/carpets?

I think you've been taken advantage of but lesson learned nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

So you paid the fair and soiling charge, when he calls for the €40 tell him to take a running jump.

But is it the soiling charge plus the fare that had accumalated at the total to pay?

Yes the OP said fare was €20 so max driver could charge would be €160 which the OP already paid.

• Advertisement

_kookie wrote: »
    If only the outside of the door had sick on it I dont think a "reasonable cost of remedy" would be very much.

Good point, €10 for a car wash perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

If I'm reading that correct it's the cost to clean the car to a maximum of 140. So should he not have to produce a receipt to show how much it cost to clean the car? I'm sure the price of a very luxury car wash would be a lot less than 140

KCross wrote: »
    Why would it be €140 to clean sick off the outside of the door?

One quick squirt of a hose and that's sorted.

Surely the €140 is to cover a valet and loss of earnings when the sick is on the seats/carpets?

I think you've been taken advantage of The reasonable cost of remedying the soiling, up to a maximum of €140.00but lesson learned nonetheless.

Cost is to remedy the soiling, i.e put it right, not for loss of earnings. Unless interior of car got soiled a valet would not be required, just a car wash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Tin Roofer

Good point, €10 for a car wash perhaps?

Assuming the drunk OP didn't end up with any sick inside the car while getting sick out the window of a presumably moving vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

I find it hard to have any sympathy at all for the OP. Time to grow up, I think....as KCross has said...lesson learned.

I assume the €140 is for lost fares while he gets his car washed. Might not be too easy finding a car wash open at all hours...I think the €140 is fair enough actually. There has to be some kind of penalty involved above the cost of cleaning the car.

I doubt the taxi driver will call though....hardly worth his while to go out of his way to collect €20....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

exaisle wrote: »
    I find it hard to have any sympathy at all for the OP. Time to grow up, I think....as KCross has said...lesson learned.

I assume the €140 is for lost fares while he gets his car washed. Might not be too easy finding a car wash open at all hours...I think the €140 is fair enough actually. There has to be some kind of penalty involved above the cost of cleaning the car.

I doubt the taxi driver will call though....hardly worth his while to go out of his way to collect €20....

I think you'd want to read the OP before pontificating. The taxi driver has charged in excess of the basic soiling charge of €140 plus fare.
    Hi can anyone help me on this how much is the taxi soiling charge ? I got sick last night out of the window of the taxi I was in , drank too much but anyways I know the fare was gonna be 20 at the start . After apologizing and saying I would pay , the taxi driver wouldn't bring me home until I promised to pay him , he wanted 200 ?

Taxi driver is chancing his arm looking for an extra €40, OP. As others have said, report him to the regulator. You've paid up, so I'd tell him to jog on, if he calls today.

Should you have to pay the soiling charge - Yes. Should the driver be charging in excess of the standard soiling charge - No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

The local taxi drivers here would have giving you a handshake. You projected it outside his car fair play to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

exaisle wrote: »

I'd agree with you to a point, and if I puked in a car I'd expect to pay the full charge (only time I had to puke in a taxi I got him to pull to the kerb and had the door open before and head out before I let loose, so didn't have to pay any soiling charge).

However the driver tried to rip the OP off. If I had the name/plate number/car reg I would most certainly be making complaints to whomever I could complain to.

I'm guessing he didn't give the OP a receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

The point is there was no puke in the car itself it was on the exterior. A bird could **** on his car everyday for the rest of his life and he would have to clean it. You handed over €160 to that guy its ridiculous probably had it cleaned in 20 seconds with some water and a shammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Thanks for the answers anyways I don't think I 'll be using that firm again for awhile , he was extremely aggressive about the whole incident . I forgot to mention I got sick while he was in traffic also so the car wasn't moving .

I really hope he doesn't call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

I'm guessing he didn't give the OP a receipt.

Was I supposed to be given a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

In fairness there would be a smell of sick inside the car also which is very unpleasant for the driver and next couple of fares possibly?! ..
    If the OP was drunk enough to puke out the window of a moving and stationary vehicle then they may well have got some inside the taxi also?!!!
    He would need to take time out of his shift to go and get the car washed.. I don't think it's unreasonable for the OP to take responsibility for their actions and move on from this unfortunate incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

To be fair to the OP he accepts he's at fault and again to be fair to driver I'd be pissed off too.

But the point is the charge is €140 which he has paid. If the charge was raised to €200 I wouldn't argue against it but it's not so the driver can't charge more.

I'd let it go unless your man does come looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The OP should ask him for evidence of the bill for cleaning the taxi.
    Oasis1974 wrote: »
    The local taxi drivers here would have giving you a handshake. You projected it outside his car fair play to ya.
    Drivers here are the same once you're a regular, "Fair play to ya bhoy, It's a pity you didn't learn to roll that window down last week or the week before":D
    Was I supposed to be given a receipt?
    Yes, the driver was obliged to provide a receipt. If you have the drivers details (which can be got from the company) you can make a complaint to the taxi regulator. You may get some of your money back!
    Collie D wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP he accepts he's at fault and again to be fair to driver I'd be pissed off too.

But the point is the charge is €140 which he has paid. If the charge was raised to €200 I wouldn't argue against it but it's not so the driver can't charge more.

I'd let it go unless your man does come looking for it.
    Op is only at fault for the amount that it takes to clean the soiling.
    The reasonable cost of remedying the soiling, up to a maximum of €140.00

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

foggy_lad wrote: »

Op is only at fault for the amount that it takes to clean the soiling.

I did actually say that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If I'm reading that correct it's the cost to clean the car to a maximum of 140. So should he not have to produce a receipt to show how much it cost to clean the car? I'm sure the price of a very luxury car wash would be a lot less than 140

You have to hand it to Boards posters. Someone goes out and drinks too much. Same someone vomited while in a taxi. Taxi driver turns out to be the bad guy.

Op thinks all vomit was outside the taxi. If you are drunk enough to get sick you can't really be sure where you got sick. I'd put money on it there's vomit on their clothes and plenty in the taxi. Did any go into the door itself?

If the taxi smells of vomit then taxi driver is supposed to take it out of service. I think 140 Euro is a fair price to have to pay to have someone else clean up your vomit. Vomit smells can take days to clear.
    Op you paid 160 Euro, don't pay anymore. I'd also suggest that you drink less and show respect for other people's property. It's no one else's job to clean up after you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's not unheard of that some drivers will absolutely take advantage of this kind of situation. Friend of mine (who doesn't drink) put a coke from a takeaway on the floor of a taxi in the way home. Driver claims it spilled but friend couldn't see any evidence of this. Driver locked the doors and drove off until they paid over 140.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TheChizler wrote: »
    Driver locked the doors and drove off until they paid over 140.
    there's only one thing to do in this situation; ring the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gardai sided with the driver in that situation even though there was no evidence of soilage. Forgot how bizarre it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

It's very easy to take advantage of a drunk... The op stated that he got sick in the outside of the taxi... I am taking him at his word as we have no evidence otherwise. Would you be pleased to pay out 140+ in this situation. Someone puking in your taxi is not a windfall for the driver. A friend of mine got sick in herself in a taxi one night and was charged for a tiny bit on a leather seat that could have been wiped with a baby wipe.

Advertisement