Advertisement
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

2018 National Road Speed Limit Review

13

Comments



  • roadmaster wrote: »
    I am nearly sure its still the N52 and all Dundalk traffic is sent that way instead of N33

    The N52 now starts at Castle Street in Ardee instead of Dundalk. The N52 is no longer legally there North of Ardee but it still is signed as so. All the signage on the M1 still reads N52, and the southbound N33 signs at J14 haven't been updated either to reflect the N52 diversion




  • marno21 wrote: »
    The N52 now starts at Castle Street in Ardee instead of Dundalk. The N52 is no longer legally there North of Ardee but it still is signed as so. All the signage on the M1 still reads N52, and the southbound N33 signs at J14 haven't been updated either to reflect the N52 diversion

    Is it down to louth county council to change it with funding from TII or is solely down to TII




  • roadmaster wrote: »
    Is it down to louth county council to change it with funding from TII or is solely down to TII
    It's normally down to the council to down the work (often via a contractor), but TII will set the standards for the work and fund it.




  • Victor wrote:
    It's normally down to the council to down the work (often via a contractor), but TII will set the standards for the work and fund it.


    RPS consultants carried out the survey over the last 2 years in conjunction with the local authorities.
    The work is carried out by 4 different companies who work directly to TII.




  • Kerry changes: http://docstore.kerrycoco.ie/KCCWebsite/roads/speedlimit/Draft%20KCC%20Road%20Traffic%20Special%20Speed%20Limit%20Bye-Laws%202018.pdf

    Most of the N71 within Kerry & a whole lot else down to 80km/h (sensibly in most cases).


  • Advertisement


  • marno21 wrote: »
    Kerry changes: http://docstore.kerrycoco.ie/KCCWebsite/roads/speedlimit/Draft%20KCC%20Road%20Traffic%20Special%20Speed%20Limit%20Bye-Laws%202018.pdf

    Most of the N71 within Kerry & a whole lot else down to 80km/h (sensibly in most cases).

    Links to other documents: http://www.kerrycoco.ie/draft-speed-limit-bye-laws/ every map seems to be a separate file.




  • http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/102000/little-appetite-for-increasing-n58-speed-limit-to-100kmh-in-ballina-md

    Complains that the reduction of a 12km section of the N58 from 100km/h to 80km/h for safety reasons is "bad for business in Ballina".




  • Good to see that (if) a lot of the N59 in Galway/Mayo is downgraded to 80km/h. Not before time.




  • roadmaster wrote: »
    The westmeath section is dropping to 80kph. The kells bypass should be 80 due to walkers and runners. Its bad planning meath have not made provisions such as a footpath

    80 kmh signs have now appeared on this section. However the 100 kmh signs are still at the Westmeath/Meath border heading south.




  • https://connachttribune.ie/council-votes-to-retain-100km-per-hour-limit-on-main-roads-in-county/

    What a complete waste of time and money this exercise has been.


  • Advertisement


  • marno21 wrote:
    What a complete waste of time and money this exercise has been.

    marno21 wrote:
    What a complete waste of time and money this exercise has been.


    Only in this country could a bunch of elected idiots, who have no technical experience in infrastructure or the likes, vote against the recommendations of highly paid engineers and consultants.

    Councillors in Donegal also were opposed to a reduction in speed limits, and the sole reason was because they were afraid those roads would receive less funding!




  • Kevwoody wrote: »
    Councillors in Donegal also were opposed to a reduction in speed limits, and the sole reason was because they were afraid those roads would receive less funding!
    Cue NRA providing less funding to Galway and Donegal.




  • Kevwoody wrote: »
    Only in this country could a bunch of elected idiots, who have no technical experience in infrastructure or the likes, vote against the recommendations of highly paid engineers and consultants.

    Councillors in Donegal also were opposed to a reduction in speed limits, and the sole reason was because they were afraid those roads would receive less funding!

    Same Galway County Council that complained last year that they weren't getting enough funding for roads whilst a 57km motorway project was being tarred. Also they objected to having to take on extra roads after the M17/M18 opened, hence the N67 and N83 extensions. You also have them complaining now about lack of funding for the old N66, the one piece of road they actually had to take on.
    Victor wrote: »
    Cue NRA providing less funding to Galway and Donegal.

    Donegal will likely top 2019 TII funding table yet again next year, the remaning 2.5km of Mountcharles-Inver is to start in 2019 along with 15km worth of the N56 between Dungloe and Glenties. Added to the funding for the N56 realignment north of Letterkenny and the N13/N14/N15 schemes which will enter detailed design next year.




  • The westmeath section of the N52 between Clonmellon and kells has being changed. Only for a descent truck driver i would have being caught out by them nasty speed vans as i was doing 100 out of habit when i cross in to westmeath




  • Speed limit on the N6 between the Tuam Road junction and the Headford Road junction is to increase to 80km/h.

    https://connachttribune.ie/bothar-na-dtreabh-speed-limit-set-to-be-increased-to-80km-h-009/




  • Long overdue. Everyone ignored the 50 limit anyway, it was stupidly low.




  • Long overdue. Everyone ignored the 50 limit anyway, it was stupidly low.

    Higher speeds in such locations means more collisions and more congestion.




  • Cork City council will have a significant body of work to do regarding the boundary extension. There is no mention of it in the proposed legislation. Statutory default speed limit of all roads within the city is 50kph. If they want to keep the lower limits for the boundary extension areas all they have to do is absolutely nothing. TII will make them introduce special speed limits for the national roads. I can see many regional and local roads not being raised back up to 80kph.




  • Long overdue. Everyone ignored the 50 limit anyway, it was stupidly low.


    Classic.

    Cyclists break the rules (eg red light jumping): the cyclists are wrong.

    Drivers break the rules (eg speeding): the rules are wrong.



    Victor wrote: »
    Higher speeds in such locations means more collisions and more congestion.

    Precisely. The City Council is claiming that congestion on the N6 Bothar na dTreabh (Galway's original ring road) is so bad that a new ring road is needed. There is a clear link between speed and junction capacity (lower speed smooths out throughput) yet their proposal for a key link on a network that they says is overloaded is to raise the speed limit.

    Sheer incompetence all round. They should be sacked.




  • Don't agree.

    When its not rush hour, you can now drive along that 4-lane carriageway at a decent 80km/h instead of the ridiculous 50 it had been, getting from one end of the road to the other perfectly safely a little but sooner.

    At rush hour its congested so nobody is getting anywhere then anyway.

    Most cars were breaking that speed limit because they knew the limit made no sense.


    Ruhanna wrote: »
    Precisely. The City Council is claiming that congestion on the N6 Bothar na dTreabh (Galway's original ring road) is so bad that a new ring road is needed. There is a clear link between speed and junction capacity (lower speed smooths out throughput) yet their proposal for a key link on a network that they says is overloaded is to raise the speed limit.

    Sheer incompetence all round. They should be sacked.


  • Advertisement


  • The limit is so low that one time when I was living in Galway, I happened to see a Garda car behind me so I made sure to stick to the 50, only for the Garda car to breeze by me doing at least 70-80! 80 is still a bit low but it's a heck of a lot better than 50.




  • Ruhanna wrote: »
    Classic.

    Cyclists break the rules (eg red light jumping): the cyclists are wrong.

    Drivers break the rules (eg speeding): the rules are wrong.
    As a daily pedestrian in Dublin City who has to deal with cyclists, I would suggest that a cyclist is not really in a position to complain about others breaking the rules.
    Precisely. The City Council is claiming that congestion on the N6 Bothar na dTreabh (Galway's original ring road) is so bad that a new ring road is needed. There is a clear link between speed and junction capacity (lower speed smooths out throughput) yet their proposal for a key link on a network that they says is overloaded is to raise the speed limit.

    Sheer incompetence all round. They should be sacked.
    468656.jpg
    Seriously, did you just sign up to spam every single thread you post in with "I don't want a bypass in Galway, or anywhere?" Because this is something like the fourth of fifth thread that you've done this crap in. I'm getting f***ing sick of it and I'm damn sure not the only one.

    You don't want a bypass in Galway. We get it. You've spent 60+ posts complaining about it. We get the point.

    And what in Sam Hill is your problem with the people of Ennis? Did everyone in Ennis beat you up and take your lunch money as a kid?

    BTW as others have pointed out, the N6 in the city is only overcrowded at peak times. The other 20 hours a day, presumably there's little congestion. So it's reasonable to look at a speed limit that applies 24 hours a day, on a wide, straight 4 lane "road" and think "yes this speed limit is much too low for 20+ hours of the day, so in the absence of variable speed limits, we should suggest raising it."

    Any sane person can see that they may have had good reasons for this.




  • Finally seeing changes on the ground in Kerry now. Lot of 100km/h down to 80km/h including the Killarney "bypass".

    Funnily enough on the N72 between Rathmore and Barraduff (the unupgraded part), the part due for realignment at Stagmount retains its 100km/h and the rest of Barraduff-Gortahaneboy drops to 80km/h.




  • marno21 wrote: »
    Finally seeing changes on the ground in Kerry now. Lot of 100km/h down to 80km/h /QUOTE]


    The N86 - Tralee to Dingle - has been changed wholesale in the section between Camp and Lispole. The newly resurfaced section at the top of Gleann na Gealt is now 60km/h. Am not sure if that is permanent or pending the completion of the upgrade in a few years time, but it seems crazy - especially when the glorified bog road - signposted Maumnahaltora - at the top of the pass is clearly signed as 80....
    There is now a 60 followed by a 50 limit on the entrance to Annascaul and then the entire road is 80km to Garrynadur/Lispole, where it drops to 60, rising to 100 for the straight section between Lispole bridge and Dingle.


    Some of these are justified - the limits for some of the bends near Ballinclare should be lower - but it also shows up the madness of 80km limits on minor roads leading off this road.




  • Gleann na gault is only 60 km/h for the resurfacing works, and will be 80 km/h from next week. From the top of gleann na gault to just before the first series of bad bends heading for Dingle, will be 100 km/h.

    The newly realigned section at Garrynadaur is indeed 80km/h, until just before the top of the hill at Kate's Cross, where it drops to 60km/h, until the far side of Lispole. It will be 100km/h then to Dingle.




  • Victor wrote: »
    Higher speeds in such locations means more collisions and more congestion.

    Not to panic, the speed will remain the same you just won't be in fear of getting pinged now




  • marno21 wrote: »
    Finally seeing changes on the ground in Kerry now. Lot of 100km/h down to 80km/h including the Killarney "bypass".

    Funnily enough on the N72 between Rathmore and Barraduff (the unupgraded part), the part due for realignment at Stagmount retains its 100km/h and the rest of Barraduff-Gortahaneboy drops to 80km/h.

    After you leave the N18 into Limerick from the Radisson Hotel has changed form 80 to 100 in the last few days. I'm very surprised and very happy with the change.




  • Any reason for the Ballynasare section being 80km/h? Surely it'll be upped to 100 when Ballynasare-Annascaul is done shortly?


  • Advertisement


  • marno21 wrote:
    Any reason for the Ballynasare section being 80km/h? Surely it'll be upped to 100 when Ballynasare-Annascaul is done shortly?


    Sorry Marno I'm not familiar with the townlands, what section are you referring to?


Advertisement