Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoke City V Spurs

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Aye. They could have finished up early given our results today. Must be stoke fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Patww79 wrote: »
    Knowing MotD they'll do the Manc derby and crawl up Liverpool and possibly Arsenal before they get anywhere near the Spurs one anyway, so we're looking at after half 11.

Even the regular 22:30 MotD start is a bit too late in the day.

Regardless, we get respect. Lineker is a Yiddo. Love the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭joeguevara

joeguevara wrote: »
    3 nil to Spurs with a brace from Kane and one from son

Very close with my prediction. I cannot understand the negativity for our team. Saying that I shouldn't be surprised. Start of last season was the same. I predict Spurs top 3 this year. Also hoping we will get 1st or 2nd!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Far too much negative , impatient comment on early season form and early parts of a game. Do you expect the team to run away with the match every week. Completely over the top criticism of many players yesterday in this thread. Eriksen, Walker, to name just two who felt the wrath from some posters, yet at the end of 90mins, they had proven to be the most influential on the game. I hope that we can get a little more patience into these match threads as the season evolves, as I find the constant 'not good enough' theme to be a real source of annoyance. Remember there are still players bedding in, recovering from a Euro campaign which dented their confidence, and adapting to the early season 'fitness regime' which is always challenging. We have played 4 , and not yet conceded from open play , which is a great stat to add to the defensive set up. Already we have the equal best defence . There is enough to see in the early matches that we will be better and the new signings will add much to the squad as they learn from Poch. We can get the Champs league of to a high quality start on Wednesday and then see how we shape up next weekend after the high of playing in front of 90,000. So please be a little more understanding on Wednesday...just watch and don't post till half time . Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

PVincent wrote: »
    Far too much negative , impatient comment on early season form and early parts of a game. Do you expect the team to run away with the match every week. Completely over the top criticism of many players yesterday in this thread. Eriksen, Walker, to name just two who felt the wrath from some posters, yet at the end of 90mins, they had proven to be the most influential on the game. I hope that we can get a little more patience into these match threads as the season evolves, as I find the constant 'not good enough' theme to be a real source of annoyance. Remember there are still players bedding in, recovering from a Euro campaign which dented their confidence, and adapting to the early season 'fitness regime' which is always challenging. We have played 4 , and not yet conceded from open play , which is a great stat to add to the defensive set up. Already we have the equal best defence . There is enough to see in the early matches that we will be better and the new signings will add much to the squad as they learn from Poch. We can get the Champs league of to a high quality start on Wednesday and then see how we shape up next weekend after the high of playing in front of 90,000. So please be a little more understanding on Wednesday...just watch and don't post till half time . Lol

This is a forum for fans to vent positives and negatives.We all want to see Spurs do well.Walker , while he is good going forward is and has been in the past a defensive liability.He did make one good tackle yesterday but he he leaves the right side of our defence badly exposed and will continue to do so if he doesn't show the same sort of eagerness to get back as he does to hare forward.

Criticism of Eriksen is very fair and I believe he gets a lot of leeway that the likes of Lamela and Son do not get.
    He started 46 games last season for Spurs and out of those 46 starts 27 of them he failed to assist or score.
    Put it another way out of 46 starts only 19 of them did he score or assist, when you add the first 3 games of this season when he didn't score or assist that makes it 19 out of 49.
    I'm not saying he's a bad player , far from it but he has been lacklustre for along time and 2 assists against a team bottom of the table doesn't mean he is back firing on all cylinders just yet, I hope he does go on a great run of form but I feel he has a bit to go yet to prove he can be a consistent performer.

Other than that I believe very much that this team has potential to do great things but when they're not at the races I believe we all have the right to vent our frustrations as long as it's not OTT.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

This is a forum for people to say whatever they want, that's what it's all about. But it is comical to be criticising a player's performance after 20 mins of a match, just shows a lack of understanding of football for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

a superb win and 2nd half performance

I think we have clicked into gear a month earlier than we did last season

squad looking stronger too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Match day threads are primarily for commenting on the match as it unfolds are they not?

If a player has had a howler in the first 20 mins is it not reasonable to comment as such. Especially if that players has a had a dip in form in recent games or a longer history/background of inconsistent performances.

I wasn't watching the game live and therefore wasn't commenting this week but I like to follow the match threads regardless, even after the result as they reflect the up's and downs of the game in the way that a 5 min clip on YouTube or MOTD do not.

If your not allowed to enjoy both the highs and lows of the game in the gw thread then perhaps it time for 'post-game match thread'.

Take the last game of last season. The team where all over the place in the first half against Newcastle and we were all loosing our minds. should we have waited until the 3rd, 4th or 5th goal was scored against us before we moaned and complained and expressed our frustration.

• Advertisement

Match day threads are primarily for commenting on the match as it unfolds are they not?

I'm not sure how anyone can properly watch a match and post comments simultaneously.

I also don't get why anyone would actually want to do this

surely it takes away from the actual enjoyment of watching the game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭golfball37

I'm not sure how anyone can properly watch a match and post comments simultaneously.

I also don't get why anyone would actually want to do this

surely it takes away from the actual enjoyment of watching the game

Best not to speculate on what effect it has on enjoyment then.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Best not to speculate on what effect it has on enjoyment then.

each to their own - just don't get it - can it not wait until the final whistle - might be a generational thing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's the internet equivalent of chatting to your Spurs mates in the pub. I enjoy commenting and seeing other comments from like minded people. Plus, it takes about 30 seconds to post something. It's not like you'll miss anything.

Kiith wrote: »
    It's the internet equivalent of chatting to your Spurs mates in the pub. I enjoy commenting and seeing other comments from like minded people. Plus, it takes about 30 seconds to post something. It's not like you'll miss anything.

disagree with all of that - chatting with mates in the pub doesn't involve scrolling, typing and staring at a mobile device - its definitely not for me

Out of curiosity, would you do it as much if you were at a game or is it more when the game is on TV ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

disagree with all of that - chatting with mates in the pub doesn't involve scrolling, typing and staring at a mobile device - its definitely not for me

Out of curiosity, would you do it as much if you were at a game or is it more when the game is on TV ?

I use Swype on my phone and can swipe a full sentence on my phone without looking. You might notice my posts during the game are usually one liners. It doesn't distract me from the game, the ball does go out of play pretty often. There's at least a minute after every goal

I use Swype on my phone and can swipe a full sentence on my phone without looking. You might notice my posts during the game are usually one liners. It doesn't distract me from the game, the ball does go out of play pretty often. There's at least a minute after every goal

fair enough - I prefer not to multitask during a Spurs games

I imagine this is just for TV games or would you do it at an actual game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

@ is working his socks off .... A game is played over 90mins, its not won and lost generally in the first 25 mins , and more often than not , it takes a while for a team to find its feet. Teams play Spurs now ,knowing what to expect, so Spurs have to adapt, change , and work out different tactics . So there are going to be days when we will appear ill at ease, or not up to level expected , or playing in a way we might not appreciate , so whilst I do respect that people have the right to post good or bad comments , as a fan for over 50 years , I fail to see how posting negativity helps anyone ...We have so much to be positive about and this is the best position we have ever been in as a club since the double team. There is very very little wrong with anything in the club , and I never understand blatant critiscism from fans ...call me old fashioned maybe , but have been around sport long enough to know that positive reinforcement works in the game , and I think the fans at the Lane and those lucky enough to travel to away games now understand the value of consistently being behind the team and raising the decibles all the time. Forums are a different kettle of fish though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Things really did turn toxic for a while in late AVB and early MP era. I mean with the fans at the Lane. Must have been horrible for that team to play. Teams that made the trip to us knew this, and they would often setup just to frustrate us so our fans would turn against the team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No, i'd only do it when i'm watching the game at home. Occasionally i'll post something at half time when i'm in the pub, but not often. And i've not watched a game in the pub in ages. I just enjoy seeing what other Spurs fans think. I don't miss things because of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement