Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suppressors, is there any need for so many various calibres?

Options
  • 09-09-2016 7:04pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This has been playing on mind and while i know that various threads are needed for various rifles what i cannot understand is the different calibre suppressors.

Now i know there is a difference between a .22 mod and a 308 one, but lets look at them in two categories. Rimfire and Centrefire.

Regardless of which one the principle seems to stand true.

I have a 30 cal suppressor that has the same thread as my rifles. It works on my 308 and just as well on my 223. Some people say not to use too big a calibre suppressor on a smaller calibre rifle due to excessive gas escaping, etc. However i've not had any detrimental effects from using a 30cal mod on my 223.

Now look at it from a closer variance. A 30 cal mod on a 6.5 rifle. The margin of "gap" is less and so any ill effect is lessened.

Now down to the crux of the matter. Calibre specific mods. Most mods, of the same make/model, have the same internals. They have the same amount of baffles, etc. So a T8 (example) on my 223 would have the exact same make up/design as the T8 on my 308. Only difference is the 308 uses a generic 30 cal bore, while the T8 on my 223 is specific to the .22 family of bullets. If i were to take the 223 specific mod and drill it out from it's (say) 7.5 mm bore to 10 or 11 mm to suit the 30 cal would it not be just the same as the T8 for my 308 in 30cal?

What i'm trying to get at it is why would you buy three or four mods for three or four rifles when one mod to suit the largest calibre (and assuming all rifles were the same threading) would work perfectly fine on all the rest.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

I would be thinking along the same lines. I've always just bought 30. Cal mods and used them for everything.
    Always done the job for me. I never found a great difference using a larger cal can with a smaller round.
    Id say any benefit of a caliber specific round is slight to non existent and not worth shelling out for a new one if you've a larger caliber one that will fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Weight,size, gas volume containment, bullet powder load and weight and sight picture amongst others would be factors that would play in this
    .Indeed you would have a VERY quiet.22 using say a 308 can,but would the extra weight justify it?And on some guns would you have enough Iron sight and scope clearence to be able to use it effectively?
    Remember too,pushing a smaller bullet out thru bigger baffle holes will allow alot of gas to escape as well and proably denude some silencing effects. Dunno the formula ,but there is some way of calculating the gas loss by the silencer baffle hole size from the caliber fired.
    Then the question is will a semi still function with it being over or under pressured?
    In short,it would be a great concept and simplify things alot,but if it is so simple,why haven't any silencer companies both civvie or military produced a "one size fits all." unit.Or one that by adding or removing baffles makes it adaptable to any firearm with the std thread?Be a fantastic unit tbat could be switched down say from a .308 to a .223 to a 9mm pistol round using the same threads . Reckon there isalot more to this than just drilling out the baffle holes tpo a bigger caliber.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Weight,size, gas volume containment, bullet powder load and weight and sight picture amongst others would be factors that would play in this
    Right, my T8s are identical in size, baffles, length, weight, etc. One if for 30 cal and the other for .25 cal. So why is one for 30 cal and the other for up to 25 cal when they are the exact same?

If i were to drill out the .25 cal one to allow for the 30 cal bullet would it somehow stop working?
    .Indeed you would have a VERY quiet.22 using say a 308 can,but would the extra weight justify it?And on some guns would you have enough Iron sight and scope clearence to be able to use it effectively?
    As said above i'm not talking about going to such extremes. Granted i use a T4 on my hmr, but i'm not talking about a large 30 cal on a CZ in 22lr. It's why i said for two categories.

But seeing as how we're talking about rimfire seeing as how most/all rimfire stiff is .224 or less why would you need one for the 22 and another for the hmr. SAK sell their mods as one size fits all in this regard. The size difference between a 22 and a .17hmr is about the same as using a 30 cal on a 243. I've done this and not a bother on performance or functionality.
    Remember too,pushing a smaller bullet out thru bigger baffle holes will allow alot of gas to escape as well and proably denude some silencing effects.
    This has been brought up in the past as a reason and i've no doubt that smarter people than me know this to be true, but when the variance between the intended calibre and the actual calibre is so small would it be such an issue?
    Then the question is will a semi still function with it being over or under pressured?
    TBH in terms os semi auto this can be a concern even with a "proper" fitting mod, but i'm not getting into the debate on semi autos, just suppressors in general.
    In short,it would be a great concept and simplify things alot,but if it is so simple,why haven't any silencer companies both civvie or military produced a "one size fits all." unit.
    Again i'm not talking about a one size fits all. What i'm saying is if i have the same make, same model, size, weight, baffles, etc. Then why do i need that suppressor in a collection of calibres when if i stay within a reasonable limit the one for the largest calibre with work perfectly fine on the calibres below it. IOW one for a 308 would work on all calibres down to 243 or even 223.

What i'm asking is with the design of the mods being the exact same is there a need for calibre specific? Is it a marketing ploy to make us think we must have these or we're doing it wrong if we don't use the closest one possible to the calibre we're shooting?

This is just a talk it out so it makes sense to me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

A larger bore suppressor would also reduce any possibility of the bullet touching or clipping any of the baffles or exit hole, in the case of a fractionally misaligned threading.
    So should lead to improved accuracy in such cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Cass wrote: »
    Right, my T8s are identical in size, baffles, length, weight, etc. One if for 30 cal and the other for .25 cal. So why is one for 30 cal and the other for up to 25 cal when they are the exact same?

If i were to drill out the .25 cal one to allow for the 30 cal bullet would it somehow stop working?

As said above i'm not talking about going to such extremes. Granted i use a T4 on my hmr, but i'm not talking about a large 30 cal on a CZ in 22lr. It's why i said for two categories.

But seeing as how we're talking about rimfire seeing as how most/all rimfire stiff is .224 or less why would you need one for the 22 and another for the hmr. SAK sell their mods as one size fits all in this regard. The size difference between a 22 and a .17hmr is about the same as using a 30 cal on a 243. I've done this and not a bother on performance or functionality.

This has been brought up in the past as a reason and i've no doubt that smarter people than me know this to be true, but when the variance between the intended calibre and the actual calibre is so small would it be such an issue?

TBH in terms os semi auto this can be a concern even with a "proper" fitting mod, but i'm not getting into the debate on semi autos, just suppressors in general.

Again i'm not talking about a one size fits all. What i'm saying is if i have the same make, same model, size, weight, baffles, etc. Then why do i need that suppressor in a collection of calibres when if i stay within a reasonable limit the one for the largest calibre with work perfectly fine on the calibres below it. IOW one for a 308 would work on all calibres down to 243 or even 223.

What i'm asking is with the design of the mods being the exact same is there a need for calibre specific? Is it a marketing ploy to make us think we must have these or we're doing it wrong if we don't use the closest one possible to the calibre we're shooting?

This is just a talk it out so it makes sense to me.

Ah Ok...This makes more sense now.[Thought you were looking for a "unicorn " silencer]You proably are right in it being a selling point more than anything,and proably also a CYA in product liability. Maybe it has more revelance to caliber specific in handgun calibers,[ the 3 top pistol calibers for silencing are 45ACP,9mm and derivatives and .22lr that point is academic in Ireland.]So,I'd say you are onto something alright.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Just a guess, but perhaps moderator size is more related to charge size of cartridge. I.E. a bigger mod can take more fouling from the bigger cartridge, and proceed with further shots (I know some are volumetric to boot)..

Secondly, I read some moderators are tuned to remove sound frequencies that we may not hear, but game does hear. Not always the amplitude that spooks game..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

didn't rodeale release a mod for this kind of thing? you could take out baffles to lengthen or shorten the mod as required for the caliber and also could buy different ends for different threads. so have 2 rifles threaded differently and all you needed was the end thread part and the rest was interchangeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Just dont let anyone with a wildcat hear you say that!!! :rolleyes:

I have a .30cal mod on my .243, sound reduction does me the finest.. dont see how a tiny improvement could help in any way.. it does enough..

Advertisement