Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Farm

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

robcass78 wrote: »
    Sorry.

Ask me a question (or questions) and I'll give you simple answers.

Who are the large solar co's dealing directly now?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭robcass78

deejer wrote: »
    Who are the large solar co's dealing directly now?

First Solar and Canadian Solar. Have worked with them internationally. Do you know of others coming too? The more that come in, the better, as it brings down the costs by orders of magnitude.

First Solar and Canadian Solar. Have worked with them internationally. Do you know of others coming too? The more that come in, the better, as it brings down the costs by orders of magnitude.

Canadian Solar are doing the hand-holding; from design through to completion & financing.

This is an example we saw.

https://www.canadiansolar.com/solar-projects/delfzijl-netherlands.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting, but like every project, it has to, wash its face. So, it's very much dependent on the feed in tariff, which is being waited for, impatiently at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Canadian Solar are doing the hand-holding; from design through to completion & financing.

This is an example we saw.

https://www.canadiansolar.com/solar-projects/delfzijl-netherlands.html

I was only aware of Irish distributors with financial backing from international developers.

• Advertisement

Yep. Not that any farmer wants 80k income an acre a year once the tarriff/market based price comes in at around 10-12c. No pressure...clearly the 139,000 farm's in Ireland don't want sustainable income...

That's sarcasm.

deejer wrote: »
    I was only aware of Irish distributors with financial backing from international developers.

Distributors simply make margin on it; not drive lowest cost. So the solar co's drive lowest cost, plus conversations now about establishing assembly plants in Ireland to create local jobs.

In theory, could have plants making solar in the Midlands (rather than Moneypoint/Edenderry peat which costs 100-120m a year in PSO subsidies) and distributing them nationally, as the transport times are low (i.e. transport from Midlands to South East where the sun shine is 20-25% better.)

Now, wouldn't that be sensible planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TMK the irridiation diff across the country is about 10%, but not to be sneezed at.
    Applications to the grid are closed. There are 500/600 applications at approx 5Mw each.
    What you are saying may be of interest to people who have made individual or a small number of applications.

Advertisement