Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New KB and Monitor

Options
  • 09-09-2016 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Just upgraded my Xeon rig with a new SSD and RX480 so im looking for a final little upgrade before the end of the year.

Im looking for a mechanical keyboard (never had one but looking to try). I hear red switches are the best but are they quiet? Suggestions as i dont have a clue. Dont fancy paying a premium for RGB lighting.

Also in the market for a either a 1440p monitor or ultrawide. Currently have a 24" LG 1080p panel but looking for more screen space.
    Again im open to suggestions.

Budgets not really an issue but dont want to just throw money away for the sake of it.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

There's videos on YouTube showing you the noise comparison of the different switch types. They most certainly aren't quiet which was one of my main annoyances when I got a mechanical board. I bought a new one recently with silent cherry red switches which is much more like a normal keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

superg wrote: »
    I bought a new one recently with silent cherry red switches which is much more like a normal keyboard.

which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/

Have a look through the wiki here in order to learn more about switch types.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

don't know much about this Freesync 1440Hz, 1440p IPS monitor but for the price and the specs it seems pretty good apart from the shítty stand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I recently purchased one of these with Cherry MX Black switches:

http://www.roccat.org/en-IE/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/Ryos-Series/Ryos-MK-Pro/

It's definitely a noisier beast than your "standard" keyboard - my understanding is that the sound in the case of the "black" switches is the key hiitting the board (bottoming out) rather than the switch itself. So if I was a touch typist who didn't whack the keys like a chimp with a hammer it would be quieter!

I really enjoy the feel of the keys with the black switches. There's a nice stiff resistance to them!

• Advertisement

Linear (no noise, no bump): Red, Black.
    Tactile (no noise, bump): Brown, Clear.
    Click (noise, bump): Blue, Green.

They are in order of stiffness (pressure required to activate the switch), i.e. Black is stiffer than Red.

Skerries wrote: »
    which one?

Corsair strafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

For reference: An MX Brown keyboard with O-rings* installed (Logitech's G710+, for example) is about as quite as a normal keyboard.

*O-rings are just little rubber rings you can put under the key caps to dampen the key so it doesn't "hit" so hare when it bottoms out. You can buy them in packs for a couple of Euro from most big places.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Cheers for all the replies guys. Especially by explaining the different types of switches. Iv actually just bought a Steelseries G7 on Adverts for €35. Going to test out the cherry blacks and see what I think of them. After a few weeks I can decide if I like them enough to buy another black switch or go for red or brown maybe. Im thinking maybe a k70 or a G710 then.
    As for monitor Im still undecided.
    The one linked above would work out around the €500 mark once taxes and conversion was applied. If im spending that price would I not be better to get a 60hz 4k monitor? Im also iffy about unknown brands...

Feel free to throw more suggestions my way. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Linear (no noise, no bump): Red, Black.
    Tactile (no noise, bump): Brown, Clear.
    Click (noise, bump): Blue, Green.

They are in order of stiffness (pressure required to activate the switch), i.e. Black is stiffer than Red.

Is this accurate? I have red swithes and while I love them they are a far cry from noiseless.

• Advertisement

The switches probably are noiseless but the clattering of the keycap off the actual board is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Recurve360 wrote: »
    would I not be better to get a 60hz 4k monitor?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

I got this KB recently and absolutely love it. It is very sensitive and can be a bit clicky but I dont really hear it with headphones on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CH-9101014-UK-Performance-Multi-Colour-Mechanical/dp/B01E9N5UT4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473536056&sr=8-2&keywords=k70+rapidfire

No.

Care to elaborate??
    My main reason for upgrading is lack of screen space more than anything. I never have a problem with 60 fps in whatever games i play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

bought a corsair k70 lux there a few weeks back, really loving it compared to my old logitech g15

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Care to elaborate??
    My main reason for upgrading is lack of screen space more than anything. I never have a problem with 60 fps in whatever games i play.

4k us just not worth it right now.
    With 4k monitor you will hatchling issues as it's just going to be too small to even read stuff on it and when it comes to gaming it's just way too taxing in performance to be viable.
    If you need screen estate and nice gaming monitor then go for 21:9 ratio 1440p wide-screen monitor. It will have that usable screen estate, still be reasonable hit in performance and games on it just look play amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I never have a problem with 60 fps in whatever games i play.

mainly cause you aren't pushing them at 4K. A 480 at 4K just isn't going to cut it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Also in the market for a new keyboard. As much as I dislike Razer, think I'm going for their Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth.

Had a CoolerMaster Storm Qckfire tenkeyless, and so many keys have stopped working. This is after I had to RMA the board twice already. So CoolerMaster done for me as a board (tbh was a weird choice in the first place, just heard good things)

While Razer as a brand annoy me and I've questions on their quality, loads of friends have them and think they are great, and importantly, quieter then your run of the mill mech board.

Had narrowed it down to a Corsair K70, Logitech G810 and this Razer Ultimate Stealth. All in or around the same price, so just going with really what friends have used for years.(considering they play the same games as me, in the same way, good barometer)

The Corsair K70 keeps coming up in recommendations though. And logitech are logitech, always in the mix.

As a user of the Chroma Stealth, go with the Corsair K70 or some other brand. The stealth switches, aren't that great tbh. I think i'd prefer linear Cherry Red switches rather than knockoff Cherry Brown switches. I think it's the spacebar that annoys me, it's a bit stiff if hit off centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also in the market for a new keyboard. As much as I dislike Razer, think I'm going for their Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth.

Had a CoolerMaster Storm Qckfire tenkeyless, and so many keys have stopped working. This is after I had to RMA the board twice already. So CoolerMaster done for me as a board (tbh was a weird choice in the first place, just heard good things)

While Razer as a brand annoy me and I've questions on their quality, loads of friends have them and think they are great, and importantly, quieter then your run of the mill mech board.

Had narrowed it down to a Corsair K70, Logitech G810 and this Razer Ultimate Stealth. All in or around the same price, so just going with really what friends have used for years.(considering they play the same games as me, in the same way, good barometer)

The Corsair K70 keeps coming up in recommendations though. And logitech are logitech, always in the mix.

Have you looked at Cherry themselves? I have a Cherry keyboard and the build quality is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I picked up the standard non RBG Corsair K70 and its great bit of kit. It's not cheap but the build quality really is top class. If a Black and Red vibe aint your thing tho, go RBG.

Venom wrote: »
    I picked up the standard non RBG Corsair K70 and its great bit of kit. It's not cheap but the build quality really is top class. If a Black and Red vibe aint your thing tho, go RBG.

Yeah havn't really been tempted to spend nearly €100 for the joy of more colours. So I'm looking at standard non RGB boards.

As much as Razer is coming recommended from friends, I was pretty confident I wouldn't buy from them again, I dislike the myths and lies their CEO spins, and I guess why Corsair was my original choice was due to the widespread usage and positive reviews, and that Logitech and Razer are using their own propitiatory switches.

Whats the noise like on the Corsair?

My CM Storm is Red Switches and it is actually disgustingly loud. With another baby on the way in the coming weeks, I don't want to be waking everyone up.

That's definitely a "bottoming out" noise. Mechanical switches are designed to activate around midway down, so they don't need to be fully depressed. MX Brown would be good at indicating when you are activated without making more noise. The other option of o-rings is also a good idea to prevent the keys from bottoming out against hard plastic.

I've also thought of maybe just cleaning my current board.

Possibly so many keys arn't working as there is probably **** stuck in it. Just need to get around to bothering my hole cleaning it I guess.

But it's also monstrously loud.

4k us just not worth it right now.
    With 4k monitor you will hatchling issues as it's just going to be too small to even read stuff on it and when it comes to gaming it's just way too taxing in performance to be viable.
    If you need screen estate and nice gaming monitor then go for 21:9 ratio 1440p wide-screen monitor. It will have that usable screen estate, still be reasonable hit in performance and games on it just look play amazing.

Thanks for that :)
    I think an Ultrawide 1440p would suit my needs best. Is there any you would suggest that are good? Ideally around the 500 mark or below would be better again. Not a nessecity but it would be nice. The hatchling issues is the main reason im avoiding vr at the minute and why I didnt buy a 1080.

mainly cause you aren't pushing them at 4K. A 480 at 4K just isn't going to cut it

Thats out of context really. The previous guy wanted me to buy a 144hz monitor. I said i was happy at 60fps in gaming. Im not expecting to get 60fps at 4k. I imagine I could get a 30fps lock on most games maxed. But I dont even play many new demanding games.

So the general conclusion is that 4k isa no no, even if not for gaming.

I should have explained my needs mainly are for heavy photo and video editing with a bit of 3d modelling thrown in too. The extra space is to have a better load out of plugins without switching tabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thanks for that :)
    I think an Ultrawide 1440p would suit my needs best. Is there any you would suggest that are good? Ideally around the 500 mark or below would be better again. Not a nessecity but it would be nice. The hatchling issues is the main reason im avoiding vr at the minute and why I didnt buy a 1080.

1440p wd is just best at the moment if you need productivity and gaming. 4k is unusable unless it's very big monitor as you will destroy all the benefits of screen estate by upscaling.

I ordered this yesterday for myself. Cheapest 3440x1440 monitor I sow and it looks like a good buy. Works out around 580eu delivered.
    Amazon being very slow so most likely I will get it only next week Wensday.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-Ultra-Wide-Monitor-Speakers-U3477PQU/dp/B00LO0FNZ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473840758&sr=8-2&keywords=3440x1440

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Where in Dublin can you view 4K ? does any of the electronic stores demo this ?

Yeah havn't really been tempted to spend nearly €100 for the joy of more colours. So I'm looking at standard non RGB boards.

As much as Razer is coming recommended from friends, I was pretty confident I wouldn't buy from them again, I dislike the myths and lies their CEO spins, and I guess why Corsair was my original choice was due to the widespread usage and positive reviews, and that Logitech and Razer are using their own propitiatory switches.

Whats the noise like on the Corsair?

My CM Storm is Red Switches and it is actually disgustingly loud. With another baby on the way in the coming weeks, I don't want to be waking everyone up.

It's hard to explain the noise level. Im using cherry mx reds on mine and there is a definitive clicking but nothing overly loud and its not nerve grating if ya know what I mean.

Might be best to check out some Youtube vids for the different switch type sound levels to give yourself a rough idea of what to expect.

• Advertisement

Where in Dublin can you view 4K ? does any of the electronic stores demo this ?

The bigger Currys/PC World stores should have some monitors set up.

Advertisement