Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Ospreys, Sept 10th 7.35 pm on TG4 and S4C

Options
  • 07-09-2016 7:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭

Ok, after the disappointment of the game last weekend its time to move on. Yes you could see the loss of Aly, AJ and Robbie. But after getting over the disappointment there were positives to be taken from the game. The Connacht passing game was intact and the Niyi try showed that ability is still there. Yes there were some poor performances, yes we lost the game by a significant amount, but if you look closely the game was there to be taken on many occasions. I put this down to a pre-season that fell apart.

As Pat said after the game the video evidence would be interesting . And I think it was interesting. Its strange having lost a game by such a margin I still feel confident about Connacht this season.

So to my team for the weekend I would suggest
    Toh
    Niyi
    Griffin
    Bundee
    Healy
    O’Leary
    Marmion
    Loughney
    Tom
    Finlay
    Ultan
    Qualter
    McKeon
    Connolly
    Muldoon

Subs
    Carey
    Delahunt
    JP Cooney
    Stevenson
    Kerins
    Carty
    Kelleher

Many would say Poolman should be involved but he is a secondary centre option while kelleher covers centre, wing and fullback. That said Kelleher reminded me of Rob Kearney last weekend and thats not a positive. I hope TOH can impart a few skills to him on how to move ball rather than take contact all the time.

I was impressed with Kerins during the U-20s and think he deserves a chance. I think Shane is the most consistent penalty taker we have at the moment.

Loughney deserves the start. With Denis absent we beat Glasgow twice and Leinster in the Pro12 final and Ronan was a huge part of all this. I prefer Shane over Dave as Shane is a beast of a man. I remember him in short sleeves in Russia at -28 degrees. Now thats a man to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's the Ospreys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

It's the Ospreys.
    goddammit, can mod please change title. thanks

bright side is that weather for saturday seems good. for those not attending S4C has now a free to air channel S4C HD. So you get to witness the game in high definition if you use a satellite dish. So now you can see all our failures (more likely our brillance) in high definition. Expect a win. Simply do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Big improvement needed but hard to see a positive result with all the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Eoin Griffin
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Jack Carty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finlay Bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Danny Qualter
    6 Eoin McKeon
    7 James Connolly
    8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    18 JP Cooney
    19 Lewis Stevenson
    20 Rory Moloney
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Shane O’Leary
    23 Danie Poolman

Injured/Unavailable: Denis Buckley, Nathan White, Quinn Roux, Andrew Browne, Ben Marshall, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Jake Heenan, Sean O’Brien, Eoghan Masterson, John Cooney, Stephen Kerins, Conor Lowndes, Craig Ronaldson, Marnitz Boshoff, Rory Parata, Peter Robb, Darragh Leader, Cian Kelleher, Ciaran Gaffney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

TOH and Marmion start. Loughney in at loose head and Connolly at 7. Robertson McCoy & Rory Maloney on bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Strong team, hopefully they are up to speed.

Ashley Beck out for Ospreys, big loss for them

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Marto10

Ospreys team named:

15 Dan Evans
    14 Jeff Hassler
    13 Ben John
    12 Josh Matavesi
    11 Eli Walker
    10 Sam Davies
    9 Rhys Webb (Capt)

1 Nicky Smith
    2 Sam Parry
    3 Dmitri Arhip
    4 Bradley Davies
    5 Rory Thornton
    6 Olly Cracknell
    7 Justin Tipuric
    8 Tyler Ardron

REPLACEMENTS

16 Scott Baldwin
    17 Paul James
    18 Ma’afu Fia
    19 Lloyd Ashley
    20 James King
    21 Dan Baker
    22 Tom Habberfield
    23 Dafydd Howells

Walker, Webb and Tipuric show plenty of strength. As ClanofLams said, Beck out is a massive loss.
    Going to be a tough game and conditions ain't going to be pretty!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Matavesi vs Aki gonna be tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Just saw the Connacht 9/10 and another loss on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

TimHorton wrote: »

No, half-backs are ok. Qualter/loughney are the main worrinesses

Connacht odds on favourites to win the game. Whats all this negativity about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

What's wrong with Marmion?

Ignore Tim, he just posts nonsense on a wind up. He hasn't had a chance in a while what with Connacht winning the Pro12 so just let the poor misfortunate ramble on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You've been in trouble before for this kind of thing. Post more constructively or don't post in this thread again. Drive by posts like this are unacceptable. There won't be another warning.

have to say I am really positive about this game. Think Tiernan is brillant at managing the backline (how could Cian simply walk in there and do that), think Kieran is the fastest scrum-half in irish rugby at the moment. Think we have a great pack. Now Jack, go use it. You are the player that ties it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

McCoy, Loughney, Qualter, Moloney, Blade, are 5 big Question Marks.
    The rest are sure bets
    Let's hope the opposition is weaker than Warriors

Game day. Looking for and expecting a big response after last week. Weather holding up at the moment. Hopefully a cracker of a game. Two teams not afraid to fling it about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Very breezy here in Salthill, will definitely affect the kickers. Cannonball first, then it's game on.

• Advertisement

looking forward to seeing the toh/matt/niyi combo again

connacht rock bottom of the table. only way is up. go the lads. i'm convinced we will win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

flogthebog wrote: »
    connacht rock bottom of the table. only way is up. go the lads. i'm convinced we will win

The only way is up, but I dont think it will be far up. The level of player and depth is just not there. Cant see them getting into the shake out for the playoffs this year but mid table is within their capability. Which is not to take anything from their fully deserved win last season. Sometimes these things happen. The stars align. Positive vibe and belief. Leicester type event. But theses type of things rarely if ever repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

This is on S4CHD and if you press the audio button on your remote you can get English commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just changed language setting on channel to Welsh to get the English commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Can somebody sort out that bloody car alarm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Just changed language setting on channel to Welsh to get the English commentary.

Yeah it's backwards lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Crucial turnover there - defence seemed to be all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

mansize wrote: »
    Yeah it's backwards lol

It always is.

• Advertisement

jack, oh jack

Advertisement