Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm science.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Note : 2nd place after rice production.

Screenshot-2019-07-09-11-31-48.png

The world is all about microbes from fertilizer to health.

Here's the rest of the article.
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/07/gut-bacteria-could-be-key-producing-tastier-cow-s-milk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It looks like there may be potential to vaccinate cattle for TB with a new test able to identify the difference between vaccinated and infected cattle.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190717142355.htm

For those interested in multi species awards, it appears that cutting may lead to higher yields and grazing to lower yields.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/gfs.12440#.XUG3iv_GbLY.twitter
    Early days yet though.

For those interested in multi species awards, it appears that cutting may lead to higher yields and grazing to lower yields.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/gfs.12440#.XUG3iv_GbLY.twitter
    Early days yet though.

I would like a monkey and a turnip award please! :D

Pity the vampires have to charge for access to that article. I wonder does the diesel spent cutting it substitute for the increase in carbon gained in the increased growth?

Here's a well put together review on the use of Biochar in animal feed and effects thereof and animal performance.

https://peerj.com/articles/7373/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I would like a monkey and a turnip award please! :D

Pity the vampires have to charge for access to that article. I wonder does the diesel spent cutting it substitute for the increase in carbon gained in the increased growth?

you'll probably find most of the info here
    http://www.asaireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Bridget-Lynch-Connie-Grace-Sheep-ASA-meeting-21.01.16.pdf

I came across the article linked below earlier. It's a bit about the history of P research at Rothamsted in the UK. You'll have to download a pdf so its probably better read on a laptop.

https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/jeq/abstracts/0/0/jeq2019.02.0078

An idea here for farms that have odour and emissions issues.
    Saving that wasted nitrogen and sulphur from the atmosphere too.

https://vtdigger.org/2019/08/04/dairy-looks-to-ancient-technology-to-manage-manure-odor-runoff/

A bit here on the Cold Plasma developments front in Ireland and it's applications in agriculture.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/health-welfare/qa-how-cold-plasma-could-help-reduce-reliance-on-antibiotics

https://twitter.com/SuzanneHigginsM/status/1162059891428790272?s=20

If this is developed into a farmer beneficial technology it could even mean farmers making and spraying their own nitrogen by cold plasma treating water.

Australian plant scientists have discovered a way of increasing photosynthesis in C4 plants by increasing the expression of a protein involved in the process. It could lead to large increases in efficiency if it can be used in plant breeding.

http://photosynthesis.org.au/discovery-of-a-bottleneck-relief-in-photosynthesis-may-have-a-major-impact-in-food-crops/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Australian plant scientists have discovered a way of increasing photosynthesis in C4 plants by increasing the expression of a protein involved in the process. It could lead to large increases in efficiency if it can be used in plant breeding.

http://photosynthesis.org.au/discovery-of-a-bottleneck-relief-in-photosynthesis-may-have-a-major-impact-in-food-crops/

Any high digestible, grazable C4 plants?

alps wrote: »
    Any high digestible, grazable C4 plants?

Sorghum.

https://twitter.com/KodyAesoph/status/1154588108496744448?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Sorghum growing in Ireland?
    That’ll take a fair bit of global warming before it happens.

Sorghum growing in Ireland?
    That’ll take a fair bit of global warming before it happens.

Ah he's living in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ah he's living in Cork!

That's Cork near Fargo in South Dakota? I never knew ... ;)

gozunda wrote: »
    That's Cork near Fargo in South Dakota? I never knew ... ;)

Anything is possible in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Ah he's living in Cork!

You need at least 20-22c for c4 plants to keep up with c3 because it needs more power to run. The gains are made purely by c3 plant's efficiency dropping fast above that

You need at least 20-22c for c4 plants to keep up with c3 because it needs more power to run. The gains are made purely by c3 plant's efficiency dropping fast above that

Forage maize is a C4 isn't it and grown here?

Forage maize is a C4 isn't it and grown here?

Ye but it's at the absolute limit

Ye but it's at the absolute limit

I know it's probably in the southeast of England.
    But it's grown and sold across the water for the money men gamekeepers.

http://www.brightseeds.co.uk/categories/30-sorghum

• Advertisement

With all the talk of no till and cover crops, I came across this article on possible N shortages in crops due to cover crops not releasing the predicted N levels expected.
    https://www.agweek.com/opinion/columns/4648226-soil-health-minute-nitrogen-release-or-not-cover-crops?amp&__twitter_impression=true

With all the talk of no till and cover crops, I came across this article on possible N shortages in crops due to cover crops not releasing the predicted N levels expected.
    https://www.agweek.com/opinion/columns/4648226-soil-health-minute-nitrogen-release-or-not-cover-crops?amp&__twitter_impression=true
    I posted this in the biochar thread.

But it deserves to be in this thread.
    There's loads in it. Whereas Buford your link describes their copybook c:n ratio as 30:1 they say it's less than 22:1.
    They also give the optimum conditions for soil organic nitrogen release. Spoiler the warmer and wetter the soil the more nitrogen is released. Even up to and above 30c.
    In the biochar bit. Plant growth was better with half rate fertilizer than biochar and full rate as the nitrogen applied in the full rate stopped the organic soil nitrogen release.

Anyways there's loads more in it.
    Maybe print out some in case the link possibly might be taken down.
    It's all in pdf form.

https://climateagriculturalsupport.com/presentations/

There might be the answer to the above cover crop question in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Shows the importance of our peatlands - time for the government to start appreciating them and stop grant aiding further destruction of them.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Shows the importance of our peatlands - time for the government to start appreciating them and stop grant aiding further destruction of them.

Agree with that but it also shows we're ahead of other countries also with peatlands.
    That image is I assume info from our new Copernicus land observing satellite. So it shows how our grassland is doing the job especially compared to other countries.
    You can see the tillage areas of Ireland up through carlow, kildare and into louth on that image with the colour change where it still is mostly plough based tillage.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Thanks to Say my name for posting this.
    It shows Ireland has the highest carbon levels (in the top 20cm of soil) in the EU - it's like winning the Eurovision all over again :D

This is suprising when you consider that Ireland has the lowest forest cover of all European countries, according to Teagasc. Land cover here is 11% while over 40% of all land in the 33 member states is wooded. :(
    Mind you, our hedges are probably not included in this and they probably have more biodiversity than our Sitka Spruce plantations

Our peatlands are one reason we scored so well, orignally 17% of Ireland was peatland, now less than a quarter remains intact :(

But as well as peatlands, we have the most pasture in Europe by a long long way, more than 67 per cent of the country is covered in natural grassland, followed by the United Kingdom with 40 per cent, the Netherlands at 38 per cent, Luxembourg at 37 per cent and Belgium at 32 per cent.

So is it time we had a more informed conversation about the role of grassland in sequestering carbon?

If I'm reading the study right, comparing Irish and UK soils, we sequester about 150 more tons of CO2 per acre than the UK

Below are my workings - please let me know if anything doesn't look correct.
    From the survey
    Irish soil 14.5% SOC per kg of soil
    1 acre of soil to 20cm depth will have approx 810 tons of soil per acre (using bulk density of 1g/cm3)
    For Ireland 810 * 14.5% is 117 tons of carbon per acre, *44/12 to get CO2 equivalent of 430 tons of CO2 per acre
    For UK 810 * 9.5% is 77 tons of carbon per acre, *44/12 to get CO2 equivalent of 280 tons of CO2 per acre
    A difference of about 150 tons of CO2 per acre :eek:
    This is the same as the difference between a badly depleted tillage soil (SOC of 2%) and a more fertile soil (SOC 7%), again around 150 tons of CO2 per acre

Looking at this from a regenerative point of view this is where it gets interesting.

I took the average kg of beef produced on Suckling to Beef farms
    613kg Liveweight Produced (kg/ha)
    Source: 2017-Drystock-eProfit-Monitor-Book

And the average level of emissions across all farms was 11.9 kg CO2 equivalent per kg beef of live-weight produced
    Source: Teagasc National Farm Survey 2017 Sustainability Report

Converting from hectare to acre, this gives a CO2 equivalent per acre of 2950kg
    (11.9*613)/2.47

Now taking an extreme example, if a farmer took a worn out tillage farm with SOC of 2% and converted it to grassland and over time slowly raised the SOC to 7%, the beef produced would still be carbon neutral, even if it took 50 years, and there's a growing body of evidence that regeneratively managed beef on pasture can increase organic matter levels a much greater rate than this, at rates of somewhere between 1/4 an 1/2 a percent per year, thus making the beef a net carbon sync, and restoring the soil in between 10 and 20 years.

What are people's thoughts?

Upstream wrote: »
    Thanks to Say my name for posting this.
    It shows Ireland has the highest carbon levels (in the top 20cm of soil) in the EU - it's like winning the Eurovision all over again :D

This is suprising when you consider that Ireland has the lowest forest cover of all European countries, according to Teagasc. Land cover here is 11% while over 40% of all land in the 33 member states is wooded. :(
    Mind you, our hedges are probably not included in this and they probably have more biodiversity than our Sitka Spruce plantations

Our peatlands are one reason we scored so well, orignally 17% of Ireland was peatland, now less than a quarter remains intact :(

But as well as peatlands, we have the most pasture in Europe by a long long way, more than 67 per cent of the country is covered in natural grassland, followed by the United Kingdom with 40 per cent, the Netherlands at 38 per cent, Luxembourg at 37 per cent and Belgium at 32 per cent.

So is it time we had a more informed conversation about the role of grassland in sequestering carbon?

If I'm reading the study right, comparing Irish and UK soils, we sequester about 150 more tons of CO2 per acre than the UK

Below are my workings - please let me know if anything doesn't look correct.
    From the survey
    Irish soil 14.5% SOC per kg of soil
    1 acre of soil to 20cm depth will have approx 810 tons of soil per acre (using bulk density of 1g/cm3)
    For Ireland 810 * 14.5% is 117 tons of carbon per acre, *44/12 to get CO2 equivalent of 430 tons of CO2 per acre
    For UK 810 * 9.5% is 77 tons of carbon per acre, *44/12 to get CO2 equivalent of 280 tons of CO2 per acre
    A difference of about 150 tons of CO2 per acre :eek:
    This is the same as the difference between a badly depleted tillage soil (SOC of 2%) and a more fertile soil (SOC 7%), again around 150 tons of CO2 per acre

Looking at this from a regenerative point of view this is where it gets interesting.

I took the average kg of beef produced on Suckling to Beef farms
    613kg Liveweight Produced (kg/ha)
    Source: 2017-Drystock-eProfit-Monitor-Book

And the average level of emissions across all farms was 11.9 kg CO2 equivalent per kg beef of live-weight produced
    Source: Teagasc National Farm Survey 2017 Sustainability Report

Converting from hectare to acre, this gives a CO2 equivalent per acre of 2950kg
    (11.9*613)/2.47

Now taking an extreme example, if a farmer took a worn out tillage farm with SOC of 2% and converted it to grassland and over time slowly raised the SOC to 7%, the beef produced would still be carbon neutral, even if it took 50 years, and there's a growing body of evidence that regeneratively managed beef on pasture can increase organic matter levels a much greater rate than this, at rates of somewhere between 1/4 an 1/2 a percent per year, thus making the beef a net carbon sync, and restoring the soil in between 10 and 20 years.

What are people's thoughts?

Decent well drained land would have a bulk density of about 0.65 and even in the long term 5-6% soil organic carbon would be high for grassland. Multiply it by 3.something to convert to co2 equivalent. Will come in at a bit less than your figures.

If interest was given on stored carbon say 1%, it would also drive things more in the right way

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Decent well drained land would have a bulk density of about 0.65 and even in the long term 5-6% soil organic carbon would be high for grassland. Multiply it by 3.something to convert to co2 equivalent. Will come in at a bit less than your figures.

Thanks yosemite, wasn't sure on the bulk density, saw a few figures mentioned and aimed for one in the middle. :) That will take the sequestration figures back by a third.

But regarding soil carbon levels there's probably scope to be a little on the high side. I got my soils tested for Organic matter when I was doing the soil tests for Glas and they were a good bit higher than that. The carbon levels were around 10% OC, (17% OM), (mostly clay soils). Probably down to nutrient management, they would get a good bit of slurry, but little to no bag NPK. I've spoken to some people in Organics with higher levels than that again so it is possible to have well managed soils with high levels of carbon.

Also Teagasc were following the IPCC methodology for CO2 equivalents and use 25 as the factor for methane emissions, I've read somewhere that 12 may be a more realistic number for pasture based livestock, so there's scope for the CO2 emissions figure to be lower as well, so that might help balance things out as well.
    If interest was given on stored carbon say 1%, it would also drive things more in the right way
    Definitely would help focus minds, possibly could be a good way to incentivise an environmental scheme.

Upstream wrote: »
    Thanks yosemite, wasn't sure on the bulk density, saw a few figures mentioned and aimed for one in the middle. :) That will take the sequestration figures back by a third.

But regarding soil carbon levels there's probably scope to be a little on the high side. I got my soils tested for Organic matter when I was doing the soil tests for Glas and they were a good bit higher than that. The carbon levels were around 10% OC, (17% OM), (mostly clay soils). Probably down to nutrient management, they would get a good bit of slurry, but little to no bag NPK. I've spoken to some people in Organics with higher levels than that again so it is possible to have well managed soils with high levels of carbon.

Also Teagasc were following the IPCC methodology for CO2 equivalents and use 25 as the factor for methane emissions, I've read somewhere that 12 may be a more realistic number for pasture based livestock, so there's scope for the CO2 emissions figure to be lower as well, so that might help balance things out as well.

Definitely would help focus minds, possibly could be a good way to incentivise an environmental scheme.
    Just be aware that converting an om measurement to organic carbon isn't accurate. The only accurate way is to measure it directly.
    Your soil sounds nearly peaty and the conversion factor would probably be lower than a brown earth type soil. Heavy land probably has more potential for higher soc in the surface layers. Mine here is 5.95% compared to 4.4% on a neighbours more intensive farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just be aware that converting an om measurement to organic carbon isn't accurate. The only accurate way is to measure it directly.
    Your soil sounds nearly peaty and the conversion factor would probably be lower than a brown earth type soil. Heavy land probably has more potential for higher soc in the surface layers. Mine here is 5.95% compared to 4.4% on a neighbours more intensive farm.

More extensive farming stores more soil carbon in general - hopefully any schemes going forward to reward farmers for Carbon storage reflect that fact

Advertisement