Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester by the Sea

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matt84

Amazing movie, very touching!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

2 wins at BAFTA Awards - Casey won best actor and Kenneth Lonergan won best original screenplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Great movie,really hope he gets the oscar, outstanding performance.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really enjoyed this, but I'd veer more towards it being very good rather than great. I'd have preferred more of the content in the second half than I would the first. It's also a massive shame that there wasn't more of Michelle Williams, when you've got such a fine actress it seems a bit of a waste not to have more of her. My highlight was Lee/Randi's scene towards the end, although if could have been twice as long.

Acting all round was terrific, and Casey Affleck portrayal of raw, irreparable grief was fantastic. I think it's the kind of film that will stick with me for a while, and will be even better upon a second viewing. 7.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Saw this yesterday and absolutely loved it. Heartbreaking stuff in the best possible way, excellent casting all around.

The ending was perfect imo but you know you're dealing with a film a lot of people won't like the ending of when you overhear two old women afterwards saying
    "that was okay, but a bit of a weird ending, I was ready for a suicide but they just left you with nothing."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

a depressing but intriguing watch.

affleck is a clear best actor pick for me.

the film to me is carried by him wouldnt have it winning best picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

sky88 wrote: »
    the film to me is carried by him wouldnt have it winning best picture.
    I mean, Lonergan's a playwright first and he clearly expects a lot from his actors, but to say Affleck carries it implies everything else about it is a bit **** as opposed to "the role requires a very strong acting performance".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

I must be getting very cynical in my old age.

Thought this was a long drawn out bore.

The nephews character was all over the place. Did his father just die or what?

If this was an examination of the human condition the director must have a very poor view of us as a species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Casey picked well here, the film begins and ends with his performance. Obviously while not many can identify with his particular tragedy, I think a lot of people could see themselves in his general struggle. Being able to identify with something like that is a big reason why I watch films so from that perspective, it certainly deserves all the praise it gets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I must be getting very cynical in my old age.

Thought this was a long drawn out bore.

The nephews character was all over the place. Did his father just die or what?

If this was an examination of the human condition the director must have a very poor view of us as a species.

His nephew was experiencing delayed grief, which is very common but not often depicted in films. He’s also experiencing being a teenager, when ragging hormones don’t go away just because a parent dies. That he is eventually triggered by something as mundane as a frozen chicken is pretty funny but also realistic. It’s all part of Lonergan's fascination with the absurdities of every day life and the disconnect between people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

His nephew was experiencing delayed grief, which is very common but not often depicted in films. He’s also experiencing being a teenager, when ragging hormones which don’t go away just because a parent dies. That he is eventually triggered by something as mundane as a frozen chicken is pretty funny but also realistic. It’s all part of Lonergan's fascination with the absurdities of every day life and the disconnect between people.
    I agree the nephews grief really struck a note with me. It wasn't depicted in a nice simple way that you'd see in another film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I thought it was good but not great. Not a film I would watch twice. Casey Affleck was excellent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I watched this tonight.

I'd seen a few clips on youtube so was expecting a very sad film but was happily surprised that it was a much happier affair.

It's not a happy film as such but it's ending is a much happier place than it's start and it did have moments were I laughed, mainly to do with the nephew or deceased brother.

Tough going in spots but very good and has a very good ending too.

Advertisement