Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester by the Sea

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Saw it tonight. Loved it. The scene with his ex is incredible. I hope poor old Casey found some happiness eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Saw it tonight. Loved it. The scene with his ex is incredible. I hope poor old Casey found some happiness eventually.

I find it hard to see how that scene could have been done better. She has tried to move on, started a new family, changed her image, pretended she could forget. But seeing him brings it all back in spades. And in real life, that conversation would NOT be statement/response, statement/response. It would be speaking over each other, no clean result, wanting different outcomes...

The 10 mins about the MAIN backstory and police station was perfect. His personality type is not to weep and beat his chest. This is the person he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Was looking forward to this immensely and it didn't disappoint. Of the "big" award season movies of this year that I've seen Manchester... is head and shoulders above the others; I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best films I've watched in the cinema in the last four to five years, easily.

Not that I was immediately in that exact frame of mind once the credits rolled. "Oh, so it ends like...that?", I thought. In the following slow shuffle through the lobby of the cinema I was still mulling over what I had watched and whether or not it was actually any good. That difficult phase continued on for quite a bit, but eventually passed. Later, while I was having dinner that evening, my fork hung uselessly in my hand on more than a few occasions while - instead of mindlessly shoveling food into my mouth - I was still fully mentally caught up in the film. That's when I came to the undeniable conclusion that Manchester By The Sea was good, more than good even, closer to great.

And what was it exactly that was reducing me to a mannequin with a far away look in my eyes? Well in the main I kept thinking about how right the film had felt. How Casey Affleck's buttoned down and muted portrayal of a man who has to shoulder an impossible burden of guilt for every waking moment of his remaining life felt just right; How the film utilized flashback in proper effective tandem with an occasional musical score: not to jar us as viewers, but to build up slowly and devastatingly to the eventual arrival of the big unraveling reveal - that hits you like a brick; how right the tone of the film had felt - it's about grief, profound and heavy grief - but it's an adult about it. The film isn't about shoving your face in the bleakness of it all, like a Michael Heneke movie, or any number of similar minded realer than real misery fests, It knows that laughter can co-exist with despair and to be able to laugh at things and to look for humour at times of loss is kind of the way people work: life goes on no matter what, but it doesn't mean you aren't shaped by what happens to you. It felt right that every character acted and behaved like an honest to God person, dealing with things, not just some rote trope from Indie Film 101. And the staging, framing, editing was right on the money. It all felt right; A damn near faultless movie.

I loved how this movie did things it's own way. How it let scenes play out in a naturalistic manner, even if that left you floundering a bit as a viewer. Sometimes, while watching, my mind wanted the balm of the standard movie note for scenes to end on - instead things were often awkward, scattershot, unexpectedly funny, or devastatingly harsh. But could it have been any other way I think now, looking back on the film. Maybe, it could have been - but it wouldn't have been as slow burning nor felt as authentic. Take that scene between Lee and Randi, the pivotal one. Man, that scene is horrible, truly awful emotionally and bloody difficult to watch. If it was a piece of music it would sound like an atonal discordant solo on a battered, broken down instrument. And it should. The movie has the courage to follow it's mission to the bitter and difficult end and I wholly respect it for that. In ninety, hell ninety-five, percent of all other films that scene would sound like a beautiful redemptive crescendo, no matter if it was at odds with all the gloom that had preceded it. We would have watched as our protagonist finally beat the pain and walked down the street cured and whole. And we would say: that's bullshit. But there's none of that here; just realshit - and it feels damn good to get a taste of every now and again.

Kenneth Lonergan is the man. All of his movies have been solid and this is probably his best yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wasn't particularly pushed about seeing it but I'm so glad that I did because it's one of the finest films I've seen in a long time. I think this and Nocturnal Animals are probably now my two favorite films of the last 12 months - Casey Affleck's performance of a man tortured every waking moment by the insufferable burden of guilt, while trying to live up to newfound, challenging responsibility, is just..... haunting, really, so horribly convincing and full of desperation and grief that you forget what you're watching isn't even real.

Really powerful film but also remarkably accessible in the way it's structured and told, it has a mainstream appeal far beyond what I expected. I would really urge people to check this one out, it lives up to the acclaim and then some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

I "enjoyed" it (somehow that word seems wrong with a movie like this) but wasn't blown away. The music really irritated me (and I like classical music) and the main character while excellently acted was a bit cliche. The whole "getting into fights as a form of self punishment" thing. It's one of those things you see in films that real people don't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Great movie and considering the subject matter, it had some really funny moments too. Don't watch it if your feeling down. Only movie to ever make me genuinely depressed other than this was "the road". This is actually a good movie. I'm not sure "the road" (wall to wall misery) was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I can't say anything other than what's been said already - a truly outstanding film.

Casey Affleck is just mesmerising to watch throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm actually surprised Casey Affleck hasn't got more big roles on recent years, he was fantastic in The Assassination of Jesse James and Gone Baby Gone, he has a great low key yet emotional delivery. He is one of my favourite actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well I'm thoroughly depressed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Jeez that was fricking devastating. Superb performances by Affleck, Hedges and Williams. A couple of the scenes will stick with me a while like
    the scene in the police station after the fire. And the scene where he bumps into his ex wife close to the end. I love that I thought half way through that it would be the type of film where he'd make it work and would find some happiness. The fact that he didn't made it so much stronger as it hit a much realer note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

It's a film that will stay with me for a very long time, from the first scene to the last I was just glued to the screen, There was some very sad moments but there was also great moments of levity mostly involving the young lad (Patrick). The way the too brothers used humour when dealing with serious issues was also great, generally this making light of things to hide concern is a very Irish trait imo, so I imagine alot of us would relate to it.

I don't really get people saying they were depressed after seeing this movie. Relative to what goes on in the film the ending is more happy than sad, sure he's still a broken man who has been to hell and back, but I think he's found peace with his past, and has built a strong bond with his nephew who he's very proud of, he showed unbelievable resilience. He may not be happy but this is as good as it gets for him considering what he's been through. He's certainly in a much better place than when we first meet him at the start of the movie.

I can not recommend this movie enough. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

This movie is now one of my favorites. I would love to see again soon.

The acting was brilliant by all involved but particular Casey Affleck. I would like to see him win the Oscar as well as Lucas Hedges & Michelle Williams.

I'm still thinking of it after a week seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

This is such a bleak story with amazing performances..

Worth a watch if you haven't seen it already

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Currently making my way through the Best Picture Oscar category with only 2 left (Moonlight and Hacksaw Ridge) but I keep thinking about Manchester by the Sea. As someone previously said, the way it ends leaves the viewer not knowing what eventually happened and if Casey Affleck found happyness or even moved back home. Not often a character in a movie sticks in my head.

Beautifully shot too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

A very good movie. But not a great one.

It reminded me of those made for TV movies you see on sky, except really well made and with better acting. But it never really escapes the rigid realism which I feel constrains the movie somewhat, never allowing it to reach that extra level. Reminded me of Spotlight in that way. Very good movies, but not great movies. They lack that spark that only a select few movies manage to ignite for me. I can see why it has received critical praise however. And I'm glad movies like Manchester By The Sea are being made. I just want them to be that bit better.

Put it this way, after seeing the trailers, and subsequently the movie, I kind of wished I had got to watch Moonlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Was left very underwhemled.

The kid was an asshole. Michelle Willliams was good but to be considered for an oscar is a joke.

I'm a fan of Affleck but he bored me in this one.

Kyle Chandler was the best thing about this movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Heckler wrote: »
    Was left very underwhemled.

The kid was an asshole. Michelle Willliams was good but to be considered for an oscar is a joke.

I'm a fan of Affleck but he bored me in this one.

Kyle Chandler was the best thing about this movie.
    Most kids are assholes. Other than that I somewhat agree. The fawning over Williams is frankly bizarre. Affleck is very capable.

And Coach Taylor is indeed incredibly watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Yup. Tate Donovan is an underrated actor. Always watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Best movie I've watched this month. Thought Affleck was fantastic, Michelle Williams not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

A very good movie. But not a great one.

It reminded me of those made for TV movies you see on sky, except really well made and with better acting. But it never really escapes the rigid realism which I feel constrains the movie somewhat, never allowing it to reach that extra level. Reminded me of Spotlight in that way. Very good movies, but not great movies. They lack that spark that only a select few movies manage to ignite for me. I can see why it has received critical praise however. And I'm glad movies like Manchester By The Sea are being made. I just want them to be that bit better.

Put it this way, after seeing the trailers, and subsequently the movie, I kind of wished I had got to watch Moonlight.

I would definitely prefer moonlight. Thought it was easily the better movie. The cameo in this one really jarred ... is the directors prerogative but why almost follow him up the street

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I would definitely prefer moonlight. Thought it was easily the better movie. The cameo in this one really jarred ... is the directors prerogative but why almost follow him up the street

One of many jarring things in the movie, but I think it was a deliberate if clumsy attempt to give a sense of a real world with real people beyond the boundary of the frame. In most movies the world is manipulated and arranged for the audience. The camera is the stage and shows only what the director wants you to see. But Lonergan really wants to create a world that’s messy and unfinished just like real life. His camera isn’t a stage and the people in the background aren’t extras, they are real people having bad day and getting in the way of the protagonist's bad day.

What Lonergan is reaching for here comes across very strongly in the extended cut of Margaret where the camera frequently drifts off to follow or listen in on people in the background. Basically in both movies he's trying to capture what its like to live and overcome your own problems in a world filled with other people who are either constantly interrupting and talking over you or oblivious to you. I’m not sure he really achieves it in either film, but the absurd humour of it is what really distinguishes his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Forgive my ignorance but who/when is this cameo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but who/when is this cameo?

When Casey Affleck's character and nephew were arguing and about to get into the SUV, a man walks past and comments about his parenting skills. This leads to a small confrontation. The cameo is the director. I think he is wearing a Canada Goose jacket and camera follows him as he walks on. I thought the amount of time the camera stayed on him was unnecessary and stood out as horribly edited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

LLMMLL wrote: »
    I "enjoyed" it (somehow that word seems wrong with a movie like this) but wasn't blown away. The music really irritated me (and I like classical music) and the main character while excellently acted was a bit cliche. The whole "getting into fights as a form of self punishment" thing. It's one of those things you see in films that real people don't do.

They absolutely do, actually

Can't believe this film is going to lose best picture to a musical. Tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

When Casey Affleck's character and nephew were arguing and about to get into the SUV, a man walks past and comments about his parenting skills. This leads to a small confrontation. The cameo is the director. I think he is wearing a Canada Goose jacket and camera follows him as he walks on. I thought the amount of time the camera stayed on him was unnecessary and stood out as horribly edited

Ah, cheers. That clicks, it did feel odd. I remember thinking affleck was going to start a fight and then nothing happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Watched it the other night.

I liked it.

Assfleck was very understated.

The scenes in the police station and with Williams near the end were particularly heart rending.

I don't think its a movie I'd ever watch again but its certainly one I'm glad I've watched.

I've just watched this and feel it's one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time. For me that's when I'm totally engaged with the characters and their lives, it touches me in a way other films don't.

One of my favourite themes is loss and how we manage it. I'm a big fan of Casey Affleck and thought he was perfect in the role of a person dealing with so much. That chat between him and Michelle Williams really highlighted for me the loneliness of our own experiences.

The young nephew was fun and fragile at the same time. Sure he was a bit dickish but most 16 yr olds are. He brought a few brief moments of comic relief to the film. Well that might not be the right way of putting it but his portrayal of teenage, em, struggles were at times funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Average film, with some good performances. But the film itself, for me, is not unique, different, or special, narratively or stylistically. I would never want to rewatch it.

I watched It's Such A Beautiful Day (2012), earlier in the day, which probably put me in a weird mood for something as mundane as Manchester By The Sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

An utterly heart wrenching, devestatimg film - one of the best directed, written & composed I've seen in the past ten years. Keeps you there every twist of the plot to the bitter end. Oscars oscars oscars.

Advertisement