Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

are you allowed put a planter enclosing a street light?

I've no idea:D

Its in a stupid place anyway, over the years loads of cars have hit it(including one of mine).

From the red tape I wrapped plastic around the pole and stuck it with all weather tape so it shouldn't cause rust or anything and I'm not preventing access to the hatch they need to get to when changing bulbs so I'd say I'm OK. It's easy to come apart if they have an issue and it's mostly scrap wood I used anyway except the t&g panelling which cost me 30 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭con747

An insurance claim waiting to happen.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    An insurance claim waiting to happen.

What do you mean?

iamtony wrote: »
    What do you mean?

I would imagine if anyone hits that with a car or stubs their toe on it or basically anything happens it's your fault. There is a claim culture in Ireland with certain people. Looks good though :)

I would imagine if anyone hits that with a car or stubs their toe on it or basically anything happens it's your fault. There is a claim culture in Ireland with certain people. Looks good though :)

Thanks. I know what your saying but the whole estate is putting the little decking squares around there trees etc. and by doing it they are actually getting grants to do more.
    Mine is probably the least invasive as I'm at the end of the road and nobody really comes up to my end, compared to the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you have any examples of someone who successfully sued after reversing their car into a sizable stationary object, i'd be genuinely curious to hear.

if you have any examples of someone who successfully sued after reversing their car into a sizable stationary object, i'd be genuinely curious to hear.

The truth is the movable wooden box could save someone from hitting the lamp post which damages cars and has done many times over the years.

I never said I had, I simply pointed out a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

So I invested in a speaker system for my tv (still waiting on the centre speaker Richersounds . . . :rolleyes: ) and I had a decision to make as to whether to go buy speaker stands for the 4 bookshelf speakers. After some searching and looking at metal ones I really wasn't seeing anything I liked the look of.

So off to the workshop I went to design something that would more fit my surroundings. I think they worked out okay. What say ye?

2020-10-06-10-41-IMG-0724.jpg 2020-10-06-10-41-IMG-0725.jpg 2020-10-06-10-41-IMG-0726.jpg 2020-10-06-10-42-IMG-0727.jpg 2020-10-06-13-00-IMG-0729.jpg 2020-10-06-13-00-IMG-0730.jpg 2020-10-06-13-00-IMG-0731.jpg 2020-10-06-13-00-IMG-0732.jpg 2020-10-06-14-05-IMG-0733.jpg 2020-10-06-14-05-IMG-0734.jpg 2020-10-07-13-51-IMG-0736.jpg 2020-10-07-13-51-IMG-0738.jpg 2020-10-07-13-52-IMG-0739.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

So I invested in a speaker system for my tv (still waiting on the centre speaker Richersounds . . . :rolleyes: ) and I had a decision to make as to whether to go buy speaker stands for the 4 bookshelf speakers. After some searching and looking at metal ones I really wasn't seeing anything I liked the look of.

So off to the workshop I went to design something that would more fit my surroundings. I think they worked out okay. What say ye?

Very cool. Can't see from the pics if you have it in or not but if not, some floor isolation will help with the sound quality particularly since you've bypassed the soft feet on the speakers, and also if the floor is a hanging floor.

Tiny feet with a self-adhesive "fuzzy" foot beneath will do the trick and are less destructive than the audiophile approach of having spikes (I ruined one floor with spiked stands that I forgot about and dragged the speaker stand across)!

• Advertisement

Cheers dude! :D

Yeah I had pre drilled each base to use an 8mm threaded bar filed to a point (self made of course) but I really didn't get fully into checking what massive or miniscule difference it would make to the speakers overall sound. I understand the vibrations that run through the stand down to the floor will cause some unwanted distortion but I had gone with 3 leg positioning and after fitting a few adjustable feet with rubber ends to one I felt it wasn't as sturdy as the flat base of the ash boards.

I might just fit them to all and see if I can hear the difference. I could probably find some rubber caps to fit over the spikes to save the floor. I shall investigate..

Pics to follow.

Thanks for the advice Chilly ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tiny feet with a self-adhesive "fuzzy" foot beneath will do the trick and are less destructive than the audiophile approach of having spikes (I ruined one floor with spiked stands that I forgot about and dragged the speaker stand across)!
    you can get notched 'coins' with a small divot cut in the middle to stand the spikes into, may be worth investing in.

i was in cloney audio once and asked for advice on the house i'd just bought and how best to position my speakers. noel's response was 'is it a suspended floor? yeah? rip up the floorboards, pour concrete, and then come back to me'.

(note: conversation has been heavily abbreviated for brevity)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

i was in cloney audio once and asked for advice on the house i'd just bought and how best to position my speakers. noel's response was 'is it a suspended floor? yeah? rip up the floorboards, pour concrete, and then come back to me'.
    (note: conversation has been heavily abbreviated for brevity)

:D:D that's classic!

My situation for having the spikes was quite real at the time - a recording studio in an apartment block with concrete slab construction, so prior to having the spikes (and an inch of foam between the speakers and the stands), I could pick up a weird frequency during a mix only to release it was a washing machine running two floors down!

are you allowed put a planter enclosing a street light?

The planter box has gone down well with the neighbours anyway, work of art was mentioned:cool: judging by everything else that's been done I doubt the council or whatever will care.

I posted the finished product with plants on the gardening page but never actually showed you lot.
    [IMG][/img]20201012-112603.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I am currently working on an abstract art piece, so here is the work in progress.

Having a bit of fun with the design at the moment, not sure whether to stick with it at the moment,
    thats the beauty of abstract pieces, you can go with the flow.

Its a piece of Yew about 18" high and 10"-12" in dia. I like working with yew, its such a striking timber.

529828.JPG

529829.JPG

529830.JPG

529831.JPG

529832.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

I've build this TV wall few weeks ago. Shelf and tv stand are from ikea. Decided to take easy route rather then build everything myself.

rw4ot8Hl.jpgmLBjWEUl.jpgIquv7Rcl.jpgukoVkdtl.jpgFZDprspl.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's cool. I was thinking of doing something similar in my house, but instead of it being on a flat wall it would be across 2 walls that join at a 45 degree angle. Unfortunately the 2 walls are a bit too small at the moment to be used for TV, but if I were to complete the triangle I'd have a nice cavity for wiring, plus a flat wall for tv.

But not sure what it would end up looking like in the end, if it would just end up looking weird.

Initially was going to do it like you say at 45 degrees but green wall is 190cm wide and TV is 170cm wide which would lead to massive waste of space behind. Instead we got heavy duty tv arm so it can do this:

8xJZmrml.jpg

BsvfMyyl.jpg

Final finishing now on the piece of yew.

After 3 coats of Danish Oil.

Looking well at the moment.

529977.JPG

529978.JPG

529979.JPG

529980.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

kadman wrote: »

529977.JPG

529978.JPG

529979.JPG

529980.JPG

I Love Yew!!

• Advertisement

Yew too...:D

how did you carve/shape the wood?

how did you carve/shape the wood?

Initial shaping for the rough form was done with a chainsaw with a carving bar and chain.

The chain and bar are specially for finer work than a wide bar. Its basically
    a tapered bar that narrows towards the end, and a finer chain. The taper allows
    for curved cuts that wide bars cannot manage.

Once that was done, it was down to a couple of draw knifes, spokeshave, and cabinet
    makers scrapers. And finally sandpaper from 120 grit down to 400 grit.

And use the necessary dustmask as yew dust affects some people as the belief is because
    its from a tree that has poisonous leaves and berries its not good.

I have to confess that I was sanding with a tool that had a vacuum pipe on, but I had no mask on.
    And i suffered no ill effects. But I was so keen to get cracking on it, that I overlooked the mask initially.

Supplier for the Sigihara bar is here.https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/product-category/sugihara-carving-dime-bars/

'Magic wrote:
    =);114989494']I've build this TV wall few weeks ago. Shelf and tv stand are from ikea. Decided to take easy route rather then build everything myself.
    FZDprspl.jpg

Nice job Magic! Albeit I'm not a fan of green walls :eek: :pac:

Where did you get the wall mount? I've to change a tv in kitchen and wanted a beefy one that extends angularly like that.

Won't get into the colors :) That's my wife's department :)

Tv mount is Sanus VLF728-B2 and got it from Harvey Norman. I think there were 3 different sizes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

529977.JPG

529978.JPG

529979.JPG

529980.JPG

Am I wrong or did you get your inspiration from Stranger Things? :)

I never heard of stranger things, whats that?

I always get my inspiration from the material I am using,
    nothing else. I let the wood do the talking. I remove any real
    damaged or poor material, and then see what I have.

I then look at the grain pattern and see where thats going.
    If I like it, I stop there, finish and polish it. Thats the abstract
    element I am after.

If others see different things in the piece after, then thats the job done.
    Result:)

On this piece people have contacted me and said they see an owl, a harp
    and even spiderman.
    And those that looked deeper see a lions head in the figuring, a birds head as well.

Thats the real beauty of Yew.

Just checked out stranger things.

Nope that doesn't rock my boat, I would prefer the smithsonian channel:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I never heard of stranger things, whats that?

I always get my inspiration from the material I am using,
    nothing else. I let the wood do the talking. I remove any real
    damaged or poor material, and then see what I have.

I then look at the grain pattern and see where thats going.
    If I like it, I stop there, finish and polish it. Thats the abstract
    element I am after.

If others see different things in the piece after, then thats the job done.
    Result:)

On this piece people have contacted me and said they see an owl, a harp
    and even spiderman.
    And those that looked deeper see a lions head in the figuring, a birds head as well.

Thats the real beauty of Yew.

Stranger Things is a series on Netflix that, if I remember correctly, has a ‘thing’ that looks like your statue.

• Advertisement

it's the big robot lad from this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t9pyYwLhRw

Advertisement