Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young Offenders

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I wanted to watch an Irish movie this evening and I LOVED the Young Offenders. I laughed out loud at the jokes and thought the leads were amazing.

Fantastic movie!

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

Enjoyed it too also liked the more deep social awareness threads running through it which doesn't seem to have been picked up upon.

Alcoholic father.

The hard working widowed mother.

Loneliness of the elderly person who hasn't seen his kids for years.

The thin line between going down the wrong path or taking the right path with the two main characters.

Seems that a lot of the film was based on director's own experience. Not just the drugs find - he had a wild idea and dreamt of what he'd do if he found a bale. Much like a dog chasing a car, didn't quite think what he'd do once he got it, but sure that would ruin a dream! :-D

Thoroughly enjoyable light viewing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Caught this on Netflix after having been unable to find it during whatever brief theatrical release it got in the UK (I'm not even sure it got one in Edinburgh - if it did, it was a week long at best), and loved it. As nosilver mentions, it's interesting that while the tone is always humorous (or outright farcical, particularly the kitchen scene towards the end!) the underlying settings are perhaps more honest about certain aspects of Ireland today than might be expected for light fare, particularly the feeling of hopelessness and lack of direction for the two youngfellas (given some of what you'll hear about the northside of Cork if you move there from elsewhere, you could be forgiven for expecting some sort of Mad-Max-esque post-apocalyptic scenario, only the cars would be Ma's Fiesta "enhanced" with underbody lighting...).

Based on this, I hope the follow-on TV show materialises, it could be great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I watched this film in such a bad humour but by the end I was in great form. Such a good film. Genuinely funny and heartwarming.

It showed off the Irish landscape in a great light too. I'd love to do their cycle trip. As long as my bike was not stolen half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

Finally got around to watching this on netflix. Very enjoyable movie & manages to keep a lot of really depressing themes under wraps for an all around upbeat movie.

I thought the 2 leads, while great actors weren't 100% believable as scumbags. Not like Colin Farrell in Intermission, where you'd cross the road if you saw him coming. Just thought the air of sweetness & innocence about them was a bit too much. Perhaps that's what made the film though?

4 stars, great movie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

LCD wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching this on netflix. Very enjoyable movie & manages to keep a lot of really depressing themes under wraps for an all around upbeat movie.

I thought the 2 leads, while great actors weren't 100% believable as scumbags. Not like Colin Farrell in Intermission, where you'd cross the road if you saw him coming. Just thought the air of sweetness & innocence about them was a bit too much. Perhaps that's what made the film though?

4 stars, great movie

I loved it as well but also found the 2 main characters weren't believable as 15 year olds, they just looked too old. I don't think they were supposed to be real scumbags though were they? More your lovable rogue type. :)

The accents were spot on, I'd imagine they are from Cork and the phrases brilliant. "Exactly like". :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

Very skeptical after watching the trailer, I was under the assumption that it was going to be one of them movies where all the good jokes were used up in the trailer - but thankfully I was pleasantly surprised! Great performances by the two leads roles and had me chuckling right the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I really, really didn't like this film - I found it very predictable and unfunny.
    Had to stop watching after 20 mins, just not my style of humour at all - but very happy you all seemed to enjoy it.
    Always interesting how the same film can be enjoyed (or not) by people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Had never heard of this film and found it on Netflix at the weekend. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was funny and engaging. The side plot with Billy was very funny, especially the replica mask element. Ii thought the 2 lads were very good. I especially thought the sceen with the young lad and his Ma, "say something good about me", was intelligent, poinent and well acted. Some of the cinematography was lovely.
    It's not a brilliant classic, but I imagine if I had have paid to see it in the cinema, I would have come out happy....

• Registered Users Posts: 85,620 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The tv series starts tonight on BBC3 and next Thursday on RTE2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The tv series starts tonight on BBC3 and next Thursday on RTE2

Watching it now... Grand... The black girl jokes are from the 70s though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Enjoyed the movie. Turned off the TV series after 15 minutes. Pity, it could have been Ireland's answer to The Inbetweeners. Did they just take some scenes straight from the movie?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

p to the e wrote: »
    Enjoyed the movie. Turned off the TV series after 15 minutes. Pity, it could have been Ireland's answer to The Inbetweeners. Did they just take some scenes straight from the movie?

There are a couple of bits in the first episode (mainly about Billy, I think) that seem like do-overs from the film. I still really enjoyed it, and the second episode (available yesterday) was a better taste of what the series seems to be aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Didn't think much of the movie.
    Haven't watched the series as yet but it would have to be much better to hold my interest.

Didn't think much of the movie.
    Haven't watched the series as yet but it would have to be much better to hold my interest.

Based on the 2 episodes so far, if you didn't like the movie you won't like the series.

What about the series interests you to watch it if you didn't rate the film, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fysh wrote: »
    Based on the 2 episodes so far, if you didn't like the movie you won't like the series.

What about the series interests you to watch it if you didn't rate the film, out of curiosity?
    I didn't find the film very funny at all, a bit bland actually.
    The series would have to be funnier to attract me to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Watched the film this evening and thought it was very good and funny. Might give the tv series a go. I'd say they could do some good smaller stories with the two characters and I reckon it's probably better suited as a series than a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I enjoyed the film and also enjoyed the series.

It's the best Irish comedy in years imho.

Advertisement