Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boilers: Grant Vortex vs Warmflow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tom44 wrote: »
    Tom 44 ?

Huh?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Huh?

Great to have him back. I REALLY miss the total confusion he can cause. LMHO :D:D:D

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Paremon

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Oversizing a condensing boiler makes it less efficient yet some guys still oversize.
    If you've 12 rads id nearly bet money that a 50/90 would be more than enough.
    Btw, grant boilers are Irish too.

Thanks. It's hard for me to know for sure what's needed output-wise (50/90 or 90/120).
    3 installer quotes recommended 90/120
    1 installer quote recommended 120/150. That same installer says he prefers to oversize, but from what you're saying oversizing is not the way to go on condensing boilers & that's also what I heard from another plumber (ie it never gets hot enough to condense enough & therefore reduces boiler efficiency = increased fuel bills).
    At the very least I now know I don't need a 120/150 as it's oversizing.
    I hadn't considered a 50/90...wondering now given that it's borderline....but 2 more rads will be added (totalling 14) & it's a cold house in general so I'll probably go 90/120.

jimf wrote: »
    anyway on a more serious note no boiler sold in Ireland yet and yes they are available at approx. 400eu extra on top of standard vortex prices

maybe tony has a valid point re cleaner boiler but so does dtp when he says boiler set up properly in the first place are usually clean as well when we get to them

but we also have to take into account how many are not commissioned in the first place

Would around €1500 sound about right for an external Grant Vortex 90/120 boiler?
    Quoted €1470 inc Vat from a supplier, €1550 inc Vat from another supplier & €1700+ from an installer (I'm not VAT registered, just joe-soap public).

Take the advice given often given here and get the registered installer to supply the boiler. you can of course stipulate the type of boiler, but if you buy it and have it installed, then if anything goes wrong, you will be left arguing with both installer and supplier.

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    Take the advice given often given here and get the registered installer to supply the boiler. you can of course stipulate the type of boiler, but if you buy it and have it installed, then if anything goes wrong, you will be left arguing with both installer and supplier.

Good advice & I most likley will but it seems a lot of installers are quoting for parts which I can buy cheaper directly myself from a local supplier that sells to installers & public alike. It's difficult to square that off when the difference is 2 to €300 for no apparent reason (labour quoted separately). Suppose I could just ask the installer to match the local supplier's price but then it seems to be case of 'well I only use X supplier & this is their best price'. I'm not interested in squeezing anyone but at the same time I don't like being overcharged (who does?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

in most cases the installer will get a discount from the supplier which you wont

• Registered Users Posts: 1 equaliser123

I would strongly advise anyone who is thinking of Warmflow to stay away. I had one, which they admitted had a manufacturing fault. It released gases/ smoke so strong I had to get medical attention. My plumber took it out and photographed the casing, took it to <snip> and they washed their hands of it and referred me to the Warmflow rep.
    To cut a long story short, they very nicely declined to compensate me for any of the expense/ hassle, out of warranty etc My excellent plumber fitted a second hand Grant boiler 3 years ago. It has been safe and excellent. I am still out almost £500 but as time has passed on I have lost the will to fight for compensation for the cost of all the work.
    The best of it is, I had spent about £17,000 with <snip> when building my house but that didn't count when I had a problem...poor form!

MOD NOTE: edited to remove names. equaliser123 please have a read of the rules and charters on this site so that you don't venture outside them.

I would strongly advise anyone who is thinking of Warmflow to stay away. I had one, which they admitted had a manufacturing fault. It released gases/ smoke so strong I had to get medical attention. My plumber took it out and photographed the casing, took it to <snip> and they washed their hands of it and referred me to the Warmflow rep.
    To cut a long story short, they very nicely declined to compensate me for any of the expense/ hassle, out of warranty etc My excellent plumber fitted a second hand Grant boiler 3 years ago. It has been safe and excellent. I am still out almost £500 but as time has passed on I have lost the will to fight for compensation for the cost of all the work.
    The best of it is, I had spent about £17,000 with <snip> when building my house but that didn't count when I had a problem...poor form!

MOD NOTE: edited to remove names. equaliser123 please have a read of the rules and charters on this site so that you don't venture outside them.

Without my mod hat on.... Anything can have a manufacturing fault but I have to say that I have a good few Warmflow's on my rounds that are working fine. Might not be my first choice, but its not difficult to get acceptable results from them either. Sorry that you had such a bad experience with them, but that was more to do with the way it was handled than that particular make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

don't really like working on the new design of wf boilers

but the old ones wer as good as anything out there maybe a bit loosely baffled with high fg temps

there was a few leakers in my neck of the woods a few years back a faulty welder I think was the cause but in fairness to wf they replaced them under warranty no questions asked

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Are you allowed take your MOD hat off...???

Oooops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

What's a hosted moderator ?

Can he promote holidays or can I tell him (safely) to feck off?

All answers treated with utmost confidentially, unless u like holidays that is. :p

Tom44 wrote: »
    What's a hosted moderator ?

Can he promote holidays or can I tell him (safely) to feck off?

All answers treated with utmost confidentially, unless u like holidays that is. :p

They make sure that regular mods don’t go around without head wear on them :)

Hosted Mod, means I am still tied to a 'hosted' board (the old RGI Tech board) they only partially de-modded me, think they forgot to do that board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

DGOBS wrote: »
    Hosted Mod, means I am still tied to a 'hosted' board (the old RGI Tech board) they only partially de-modded me, think they forgot to do that board.

It’s a pity it’s gone. I used to love asking stupid questions

It's still there, just un-used.....Tom abuse away, I have no power in this place :( anymore
    It's the new kid in town you have to behave for!!

DGOBS wrote: »
    It's still there, just un-used.....Tom abuse away, I have no power in this place :( anymore
    It's the new kid in town you have to behave for!!

That’s what you get for removing your hat Dgobs. :)

Heavy lays the crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vggreene

hi folks.. in the same boat as the guy starting this thread. upgrading from a 22 years old boiler in a shed to an outdoor pack.
    was looking at Grant and Warmflow, its a sealed system in a 4bed semi.. what about the the wamflow E26S 21 to 27kw with the built in 12litre expansion tank? kinda stuck for space for that in the hot press. tks

• Advertisement
Advertisement