Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a worker on a US Military Airbase

Options
123457»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 77 Verified rep I work on a US Military Airbase, AMA

If your immediate reaction isn't to say "Penny's!!! €5", you can't really be Irish. I call shenanigans!!

Very interesting AMA, thanks for that.

I was wondering about the toilet situation though. Are there no local-squat type toilet facilities available? Having been to France where there is a mixed population I've been to restaurants/bars that have the squatting loos, so it seems strange that this wouldn't be available in a country where this is more usual.

Do you have any contact with Afghani women? You've mentioned locals that come on site with stalls, etc., but my impression is they're all men? Just wondering what the local women are like?

There are porta-loos all around the base and they are a mix of regular ones and the squatting versions.
    But the actual proper toilet facilities are all your standard toilets.

I've met one Afghani woman on base who's a translator but I don't think she really counts as she's been living in the US for years.
    As far as the locals who come on base every day, they're all men. I've never seen any local women coming onto base.
    The locals are catered for on base with their squatting toilets and dedicated prayer rooms etc. And although I said there are a lot of them I don't trust, I'd say the overwhelming majority are incredibly nice and hard working people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Is all the water and food flown in, and if so, where from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

@Manic; as you know well the use of PMCs has exploded in the last 20 years for political and market/profit reasons. And that there's plenty of evidence that it's a more expensive way to run an imperial force.

To the others who want me to 'give it a rest', and would prefer that the questions were on safe subjects like whether netflix is available, or what type of trinkets are for sale.... I would say to you that BEFORE you go is a much better time to think about those big questions than 10 years after you come home.

I've talked to plenty of people that signed up for a job in combats, took the shilling, and then spent many years regretting the part they played. Just a few months ago, I spent some time with soldiers (belonging to an army I don't like) after a sniper had shot one of their colleagues. They didn't like the sniper, but they sure as sh1t knew that their leaders that sent them there weren't sending their own kids. And they knew that the reasons given to them for being there were bullsh1t. Some were about to finish their tour and just wanted to get back to normal lives... after a blowout party period to forget as much as they could of what they had seen and done.

I know how much this murderous violence can ruin peoples lives, on both ends of the barrel, and I've as much right to post here as anyone else.

My engagement with the AMA was respectful, within the forum norms, and an honest exchange of views.

If that type of dialogue on a forum is too much for you, or you don't like the emotions those questions make you feel, then it's really not my problem. I'm finished in this thread unless others continue to quote me and direct questions to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

1.618 wrote: »
    I'd say the better question is, do the contractors get to wear body armour while diving to a runway in a C-130

The guy doesn't want to get into the exact job he is doing there and has said so many times. Fairs dues to him for the interesting AMA. Give him a break re the 'what are you doing exactly' stuff.

That question is essentially the same as mine, body armour gives no protection against the sensation of a diving aircraft, nor protection if it doesn't stop diving, as for the body armour, I've worn it, and I'd want it, preferably not as bulky or heavy but it has a job in protecting your vital organs as best it can against certain fragments. I'm curious if it was available for civilians, been answered. Maybe Ease up telling me on what to ease up, the op seems able to answer for themself,
    The job enquiry is relevant, there are only so many roles that might be filled, but the op themself has recommended taking such an opportunity up, one they say requires no trade or degree, I'm not saying that's not possible but that piques my curiosity, and it must do for anyone thinking of it, I was offered a job in Iraq or an interview for one in a hotel in town a good few years back now, for one reason or another we didn't meet and I at some point thought it might have scam in it, although I handed no details over at that point, merely responding to an advertisement, the job seemed to be in retail oddly enough, something not in my experience or qualifications.
    Maybe he's the only Irish guy working as the only electrician/Aeroenginner/bar tender on base or something... Does it matter?

Yes, I think so if someone is interested, overall I think it's going to be an unsuccessful venture counter productive to the actual aims, but realistically I can understand the position people are in regarding being in units in a military and as a civilian perspective being that it's a job and people there aren't making the big decisions about what's going on but are there to do what they do anyway, with no intent or ability to worsen the situation, morally I'd be in a bit of a quandary now, but as a civilian I can say I would probably do it for the money, so I'm curious what jobs might be available.if I was there I wouldn't be going out to the locals to tell them of any moral concerns out of concern of being chained up for years and likely come to a gruesome end.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Edanto, if you wish to debate the ethical and practical merits of PMCs, I invite you to do so over on the military forum. I moderate there, the discussion is perfectly appropriate. However, our AMA has rather clearly indicated that he is an unarmed contractor, which means he is not there as part of a PMC. As such, the discussion is not relevant here.

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It's not for you to say what is appropriate here in this forum, and there is no definition that says only those carrying weapons can be PMCs, that's ridiculous. Also, your military forum specifically outlaws criticism; or at least the charter has a rule which can be interpreted that way as desired. That said, I'll keep an eye out for there for interesting threads, thanks for the invite.

"More specifically, posts whose primary purpose appears to be to take a dig at a military, particularly when only tangential to the discussion, will be considered as prejudicial to the good order and enjoyment of the forum and acted upon."

I know that a military force is essential; I respect and appreciate anyone's commitment to serve.

Whether our AMA handles weapons or not he is part of a war effort (an invading force) and as such the ethics of that decision are relevant and are the only topic I wished to ask about. My question has been answered and I'd like to thank the AMA for his/her time and honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

I'm just not saying because I'd rather not.
    I just don't want to be recognised here that's all.
    But trust me when I say it's absolutely nothing exciting or covert or anything like that. I wish it was but I'm just not that cool. :)

No worries at all, I completely respect that. Your career choice is fascinating and it's something I would have considered myself when I was younger. Once again, thanks for taking the time to do this AMA.

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

I have been part of peace vigils, including at Shannon, and am utterly against the American wars in the Middle East. But this man has answered questions about his own work on the American bases and why he does it - for money for his family. It's the same reason people have worked for imperialists since the time of the Roman Empire, and I doubt any of them had much notion of the rows between Caesar and Antony and the destruction of democracy and its replacement by profit, any more than he has.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

It's time to wrap this one up, thanks for all of the questions and the answers - incredibly interesting. I had no idea how vast the bases were though maybe it's just not something I've given much thought to before.

If you think that your own story could be as interesting as this one to the Boards community, please do apply to do one here.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement