Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a worker on a US Military Airbase

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 77 Verified rep I work on a US Military Airbase, AMA

FanadMan wrote: »
    How do you manage the heat? You said that it hits around 40 - for me, if it hits high 20s/low 30s I'm ready to drop. Would love to try out there for a job but think the heat would rule me out after a couple of days :(

Great answers so far btw :)

PS.....by the sound of it you'd be a bit too young to remember it but could you "fry an egg on the stones here, if you had an egg"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExTRZxDRYPg

Honestly, hot weather has never bothered me too much so it's not really an issue for me.
    There's plenty of air conditioned buildings around the base and your own bedroom is air conditioned too so it's not too bad.
    It's like anything really, you adapt and acclimatize pretty quickly once you get here. I've never gotten to the stage where I couldn't handle it but as I said in a previous post, a swimming pool here would be a welcome addition!

• Company Representative Posts: 77 Verified rep I work on a US Military Airbase, AMA

cursai wrote: »
    Why do you do the job you do?

Simply put:

I enjoy the work.
    I enjoy the location.
    It gives me the opportunity to earn more than I could back home.

The main reason is I think I can provide for my family a lot better if I work out here for a few years compared to if I stayed slogging away back home.
    It can be tough at times but I believe it'll be worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Corvo

The most interesting AMA on here by a long long way.

Few questions, if that's ok? -

- Have you forged any great friendships with anyone in particular since you arrived on base?

- Now that you are around the military and know the goings on, is it something you think you could do should circumstances been different? i.e. could you be a soldier?

- No need to answer this if it is too personal, but how does your partner deal with the everyday possibility of you being killed, and your long periods away? Has it not put significant strain on the relationship, despite the overall rewards it will bring further down the line?

- You must get a serious case of blue balls no? :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

Many thanks for taking the time to converse with us, fascinating insight.

How do you access cash to buy from the local traders and the various outlets on base and is it all in dollars?

Corvo wrote: »
    The most interesting AMA on here by a long long way.

Few questions, if that's ok? -

- Have you forged any great friendships with anyone in particular since you arrived on base?

I've made a ton of friends since I first came here.
    I'm friends with a lot of contractors here but the best friendships I've had are with the military guys/girls. I've been great friends with everyone from the low ranking E-3 (private) right up to Colonels and everything in between. I've been invited to stay with almost everyone of them at this stage so no matter where I go in the States on holidays next I'll probably lydon never need a hotel!
    It can be a bit sad when you make friends and they leave a few months later for good. Most soldiers are here on either a 9 month or 12 month rotation. Some extend for longer but that's generally the length of a tour for most military members before they rip out and a new batch comes in.
    Just about everyone I've met here has been extremely friendly and welcoming and they're all a great bunch of down to earth people. I'm sure I'll be lifelong friends with some of them.

- Now that you are around the military and know the goings on, is it something you think you could do should circumstances been different? i.e. could you be a soldier?

It's something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid but I just never did it. Since I've been around it all it has reignited my interest in all things military and I'd love to do it.
    But from talking to a lot of soldiers here, they really don't get paid a hell of a lot considering what they do and the risks they take.
    The high ranks like the officers earn a good wage but when your low on that totem pole it's not a lot of cash.
    The upside to that is they do get fantastic benefits which makes up for it somewhat.
    -No need to answer this if it is too personal, but how does your partner deal with the everyday possibility of you being killed, and your long periods away? Has it not put significant strain on the relationship, despite the overall rewards it will bring further down the line?

She does get a bit lonely from time to time especially when the baby is gone off to bed and the house is quiet but she copes pretty well. She just gets on with things and we're always on Skype so it's not so bad.
    When it comes to the dangerous side of the job, I don't tell her about half the stuff that goes on. She's better off not knowing a lot of it because it'd only make her worry and that's not good for either of us.
    She obviously knows it's dangerous and she has an idea of what happens here but I just don't get into detail when it comes to the dangerous stuff.
    -You must get a serious case of blue balls no? :pac::pac::pac:

Simple answer?

Yes.
    Dear God yes.

They issue wheelbarrows when you get here so you can carry your balls around. :D

• Advertisement

Many thanks for taking the time to converse with us, fascinating insight.

How do you access cash to buy from the local traders and the various outlets on base and is it all in dollars?

No problem. I'm enjoying the AMA so I hope it's interesting enough for everyone here!

The local traders all have credit card machines so you don't necessarily need cash but it's always good to have.
    If you run out of cash you can western union yourself money. Or there's an atm on base too. This only gives out Afghani currency though but you can change that in the small bank that's also on base.

The name of the bank is actually AIB.
    Afghanistan International Bank.

Seriously! :pac:

Edit: Forgot to answer one part of your question..... Yes for the most part it's all in US dollars. The main base in Kabul also accepts Euro. In fact, the prices in the coffee shop there are all in Euro too.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Thanks for doing this AMA.

Do you have any idea of what the casualties look like on the enemy side?
    Is there a good system for documenting how many taliban fighters are killed?

Would you be able to guess the average age of the enemy forces vs that of the US forces?

Are the taliban fighters literate?

Do they use other methods apart from rocket, explosives and small arms fire to disrupt the base's operation?
    (Digital/Cyber attacks for example)

Fascinating stuff, thanks again for taking these questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'd rather not say what my exact job here is.

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Alcoheda wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this AMA.

Do you have any idea of what the casualties look like on the enemy side?
    Is there a good system for documenting how many taliban fighters are killed?

Would you be able to guess the average age of the enemy forces vs that of the US forces?

Are the taliban fighters literate?

Do they use other methods apart from rocket, explosives and small arms fire to disrupt the base's operation?
    (Digital/Cyber attacks for example)

Fascinating stuff, thanks again for taking these questions.

I don't have the answers to your questions about Taliban casualties or literacy levels.

From what I see on bases around Afghanistan, the ages of US force seem to range from 19 to about 35 on average. There are of course older people but they'd mostly be higher rankers.

The Taliban mainly fire rockets in as they can do this from a further distance away and be gone by the time the forces here can retaliate or go look for them.
    They also fire regular rifle rounds over the walls when they get close enough but that doesn't really do any damage at all.
    Suicide bombings happen here too but it's rare enough to happen close to the base. They don't usually get close enough. Although they did manage to kill 6 people last winter when they drove up towards the gate and detonated.

Another favourite of theirs is to cut wires leading to the base to disrupt power whenever they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you come across members of the Barley House Wolves in your time there? Did you pack a hurley yourself?

:)

http://www.hurlingnh.com/

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Have you come across members of the Barley House Wolves in your time there? Did you pack a hurley yourself?

:)

http://www.hurlingnh.com/

I've never even heard of it until now. But I'll ask around and see if anyone here has heard of them or is a member!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

FYSA, "RIPping out" is an acronym. Relief In Place.

I presume you've figured out by now that setting up a routine call schedule with home is a bad idea. (When you miss a scheduled call, family panics).

What would be the 'mistakes' or 'misconceptions' you'd warn someone of if they decided to follow your footsteps? i.e. what did you bring that you shouldn't have, not bring that you should, or expect but didn't see?

And as one who's been to Bagram more than once, is Broadway still a salute zone, or have they finally fixed that silliness?

FYSA, "RIPping out" is an acronym. Relief In Place.

I presume you've figured out by now that setting up a routine call schedule with home is a bad idea. (When you miss a scheduled call, family panics).

What would be the 'mistakes' or 'misconceptions' you'd warn someone of if they decided to follow your footsteps? i.e. what did you bring that you shouldn't have, not bring that you should, or expect but didn't see?

And as one who's been to Bagram more than once, is Broadway still a salute zone, or have they finally fixed that silliness?

Yep, my wife is used to it at this stage. She knows I'll most likely call her most days at around the same time but she also knows not to panic if I don't call. When I don't call, she knows it's usually due to Internet or phone network being down and I'll call at some stage.

I've seen some people come over here thinking this is a holiday. They bring all their fancy brand name clothes and their €500 sunglasses and are totally unprepared. I'd advise everyone to prepare correctly for where you're headed. It's not Santa Ponsa. It's Afghanistan and it's a war zone. I'm not saying to come dressed like Rambo but bring sensible hiking boots and comfortable cargo pants etc.
    I watched a woman get off a plane here recently and it was clearly her first day. She came in her, presumably expensive, and ridiculously tall high heels. I've no idea where she thought she was going.
    I'd also advise people to prepare mentally. It can get tough being away from friends and family. Suddenly you find yourself in a strange country and you fall under Military Law and you can't just do what you want anymore. It can be a bit of a shock to the system.

As for your question about Broadway; I haven't heard of a place here called by that name. Names change all the time here and I'm guessing you may be talking about Disney Drive?
    That's the main road which goes by the JOC and Koehle DFAC.
    If that's the area you're talking about then it's very much still a salute zone.
    If you're talking about somewhere else can you describe it to me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's it. Guess the name changed. I know of one General who ended up taking the bus for 200 yards because he was tired of saluting every two paces, but was too low-ranking to change anything. (As a general rule, junior folks salute only a portion of the people they meet: The officers. We ossifers have to salute -everyone-. Civilians like yourself are a pleasant change!)

As to the female in heels, I have found that such overdressed persons are usually mid ranking civil servants, often who think they are more important than they are and are looking to impress and distinguish themselves from the pawns who are resident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Even though you are not military, do you ever get to fire weapons at the base, like on a target range?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I remember watching a top gear episode where they were bringing back vehicles from one of the UK bases and the sheer numbers were just astounding.

Any idea how many ground / air vehicles would be there on a day to day basis?

maryishere wrote: »
    Even though you are not military, do you ever get to fire weapons at the base, like on a target range?

The only people allowed to handle and fire weapons here are military and people who have clearance to do so. It's not a holiday resort so they don't have private gun ranges and I'm sure the US public wouldn't be too happy if they thought their tax dollars were being spent on thousands of rounds being fired off by civilians for the craic!

I remember watching a top gear episode where they were bringing back vehicles from one of the UK bases and the sheer numbers were just astounding.

Any idea how many ground / air vehicles would be there on a day to day basis?

I've no idea on actual numbers but there are hundreds of vehicles on base. There are fleets of c130 & c17 planes. A good few F-16s, drones, surveillance planes. God knows how many helicopters, MRAP's, armoured jeeps, 4 wheelers etc.
    I wouldn't like to even guess the numbers but there's a lot!
    On Bagram, there's even a van painted up like the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine van.
    No idea what that's all about! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

What's the plumbing situation on base? Do ye suffer from water shortages at all? Any nightmare stories?

Do you wear sunblock? If so, what factor? :P

Vojera wrote: »
    What's the plumbing situation on base? Do ye suffer from water shortages at all? Any nightmare stories?

Do you wear sunblock? If so, what factor? :P

It's not too bad actually.
    There are porta-loos dotted all over the base and they're generally horrific so you steer clear of those when ever you can.
    The toilets and shower rooms outside the living areas are not the fanciest but they do the trick.
    There are no doors on the cubicles. There are pretty nasty shower curtains instead of doors.

The Afghani guys are not the most hygienic when it comes to the toilet situation. They don't sit on the actual toilet. They stand on it instead.
    As a result of this, there are big footprints all over the toilets sometimes. And also as a result of standing on it, their aim is not really the best. It's common to find sh1t absolutely everywhere when you go in.
    They also don't use toilet paper. The bring in bottled water and use their hand instead. So it's common for the toilets to be destroyed in sh1t, footprints, empty water bottles, and water splashed all over the place. It's pretty bad sometimes!

The showers are the same. There's about 20 cubicles in there. The water is hot most of the time but there have been plenty of mornings when it's absolutely freezing. You have to time it right.

EDIT: I forgot the sunblock question!
    I don't use it at all here.
    A lot of people here use it especially if you're going to be working outdoors for any period of time. If you ever got a job her I'd advise bringing some and using it. I don't because I'm an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

The Afghani guys are not the most hygienic when it comes to the toilet situation. They don't sit on the actual toilet. They stand on it instead.
    As a result of this, there are big footprints all over the toilets sometimes. And also as a result of standing on it, their aim is not really the best. It's common to find sh1t absolutely everywhere when you go in.
    They also don't use toilet paper. The bring in bottled water and use their hand instead. So it's common for the toilets to be destroyed in sh1t, footprints, empty water bottles, and water splashed all over the place. It's pretty bad sometimes!

Good jaysus I'd put up the the bombs and rockets but jaysus :)
    You have a very cool job in my field of work ov seen a few advertisements for Afghanistan and Iraq as well often thought about it money looks great mite look into it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Apart from your own job, If you could pick one job on base which would you pick and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

What poor bastard cleans the toilets?
    Very interesting AMA thanks! If I was a few years younger I would be applying tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

What sort of life assurance and health insurance policies do you have, is there any form of income protection provided by your employer or is that part of the risk you take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

What the hell are they at standing on the toilet to take a sh1t??:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What do you do when you finish work/have time off? With no beer onsite, how do you manage to survive as a Paddy? ;)

Apart from your own job, If you could pick one job on base which would you pick and why?

If I was to choose a military job, it'd be cool to be in with the Special Forces guys. They're genuinely the coolest most badass guys on base. They get away with a lot more than any other part of the military and basically do what they want. They're the only ones allowed to have beards too. I've hung around with a few of them and they have some crazy stories.
    They're pretty much exactly like they're portrayed in movies!

If I was to choose a contractor job it'd probably be as a helicopter pilot. They get paid a huge amount of money, get plenty of time off, and it's just a cool job.

percy212 wrote: »
    What poor bastard cleans the toilets?
    Very interesting AMA thanks! If I was a few years younger I would be applying tomorrow.

The local Afghan guys that are allowed come onto base every day are the ones in charge of cleaning the entire base. They clean the toilets and shower rooms, they sweep the streets and do a lot of the more menial jobs on base.

ectoraige wrote: »
    What sort of life assurance and health insurance policies do you have, is there any form of income protection provided by your employer or is that part of the risk you take?

Health insurance is part of the package in the job.
    If you get seriously injured here you get a massive payout and there's also a big payout to your family if you're killed.
    Thankfully I don't think the companies insurance has ever had to make one of those payouts.

*knocks on wood.

• Advertisement

What the hell are they at standing on the toilet to take a sh1t??:confused::confused:

Fcuked if I know. But it's disgusting.
    Also, if they ever try to shake your hand using their left hand, it's an insult. That's the hand they use to wipe their arse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement