Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Watch

Options
  • 28-08-2016 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

I think Waterford gets left out of loads of stuff in the national media which means we miss out on loads of publicity which would give the city a boost.

On loads of things you will see, Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway and then that's it. It's like we're not a city at all.

On other stuff we're confused with Wexford - it drives me nuts.

Here's the latest one...

"Wexford walls" festival and the "Dunmore East" is missing from the Bluegrass Festival in this promotion map!!! :o

energia.ie/blog/domestic/2016/august/august-2016/cheap-free-stuff-to-do-this-weekend-(1)
    (can't post the link)

Remember, how the people in Dingle were going mental when the town was going to be renamed - it was because they recognised that the brand of the town was important for business!

Post more examples here as you find them. It's happening constantly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When ever the media talks about rents and house prices Waterford is never included as one of the main cities, for years google maps had Waterford listed under Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What exactly did we do or didn't do in this country to make the media and government so utterly indifferent to us? I just can't figure it out!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

What exactly did we do or didn't do in this country to make the media and government so utterly indifferent to us? I just can't figure it out!

Constantly stitched up by politicians from neighbouring counties who when they were ministers especially thrived on underfunding us and making decisions to undermine the city in particular to try benefit their own counties. The late Colm Griffin told me 2 unreal stories about one person in RTE and one in the old Irish press newspaper who used to make sure there was only negativity ever relayed about here and that spread throughout their organisation and media in general. It's like Limerick getting the stab city reputation through the media which lives on today .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭JMT2016

What does rte broadcast from its south east studio?

Galway has RnaG, Limerick has Lyric Fm and several live shows on rte1 tv & radio come from the Cork studio.

Wasn't the waterford studio closed down some time ago? How long has it been in Carriganore?

I'm assuming the studio in Carriganore is no bigger than a broom cupboard, has anything been made for RTE out of their Waterford office?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Plenty of Coveragh today for Minster Halligan and also the poor lad that got stabbed last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

JMT2016 wrote: »

Wasn't the waterford studio closed down some time ago? How long has it been in Carriganore?

Think about two years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I'm assuming the studio in Carriganore is no bigger than a broom cupboard, has anything been made for RTE out of their Waterford office?

I think there have been a few, rivetting, introspective, minute long episodes of the angelus made. I've got them taped.

Here's the latest one - Waterford left out of the Ireland's Ancient East Top 10 things to do

http://www.irelandsancienteast.com/things-to-do/top-10-family-things-to-do
    IRISH NATIONAL HERITAGE PARK, WEXFORD
    WICKLOW GAOL, WICKLOW
    CARLINGFORD ADVENTURE CENTRE, LOUTH
    CAVAN BURREN PARK
    BIRR CASTLE, OFFALY
    IRISH NATIONAL STUD, KILDARE
    HOOK HEAD LIGHTHOUSE, WEXFORD
    KILKENNY WAY HURLING EXPERIENCE, KILKENNY
    SHANDON BELLS, CORK CITY
    LOUGHCREW ADVENTURE CENTRE, MEATH

Now if you remember your geography class you might be asking why are Cork and Cavan included in a list about Ireland's Ancient East? Especially since Failte Ireland were very definite that Waterford was not part of the Wild Atlantic Way.

Turns out Waterford isn't really part of Ireland's Ancient East either!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

JMT2016 wrote: »
    Here's the latest one - Waterford left out of the Ireland's Ancient East Top 10 things to do

http://www.irelandsancienteast.com/things-to-do/top-10-family-things-to-do

Now if you remember your geography class you might be asking why are Cork and Cavan included in a list about Ireland's Ancient East? Especially since Failte Ireland were very definite that Waterford was not part of the Wild Atlantic Way.

Turns out Waterford isn't really part of Ireland's Ancient East either!

So Waterford is not in the East, nor on the Atlantic ..... W(here)TF is Waterford?

• Advertisement

They have a page called
    Explore the legacy of the Vikings' arrival on Irish shores

Limerick to Louth in 5 days

illustrated with a photo of Reggies Tower!

It's a shi'te website.

edit the journey does go through Waterford but nonetheless (the Tipp to Waterford journey ends in Lismore which has no Viking history "Revel in the raiders, traders and settlers of Viking Ireland")

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

So Waterford is not in the East, nor on the Atlantic ..... W(here)TF is Waterford?

The Ancient East thing seems like a very cobbled together concept to me. Trying too hard to make uninteresting things interesting. Might be better for us in the long run not to be too linked with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,260 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't agree with the 'uninteresting' bit, but I do agree that the concept is a bit scrappy. The name is the worst thing, it does not conjour up Ireland to me, sounds like a feeble ad for Japan. The Wild Atlantic Way is good, it says something; trying to piggy back on someone else's good idea is not good marketing.

looksee wrote: »
    I don't agree with the 'uninteresting' bit, but I do agree that the concept is a bit scrappy. The name is the worst thing, it does not conjour up Ireland to me, sounds like a feeble ad for Japan. The Wild Atlantic Way is good, it says something; trying to piggy back on someone else's good idea is not good marketing.

Agreed - I would prefer to see us build the Waterford brand. It can only get stronger.

bullpost wrote: »
    The Ancient East thing seems like a very cobbled together concept to me. Trying too hard to make uninteresting things interesting. Might be better for us in the long run not to be too linked with it.

It is clearly a sop, the Wild Atlantic Way works as it is based on a specific concept, Ancient East is a geographically defuse mess. It means little or nothing. Waterford should have developed it's own marketing brand based on Vikings and Normans.

Something like Waterford - Where History Lives sort of thing - poster for the Ferrybank Dual Cabbageway

where_history_lives.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Brilliant harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

It is clearly a sop, the Wild Atlantic Way works as it is based on a specific concept, Ancient East is a geographically defuse mess. It means little or nothing. Waterford should have developed it's own marketing brand based on Vikings and Normans.

Something like Waterford - Where History Lives sort of thing - poster for the Ferrybank Dual Cabbageway

where_history_lives.jpg

The museums and things are great, but we could probably do with some entertainment for the young folks,
    I seen a fair few board looking teenagers being dragged around the Viking triangle this summer,
    Maybe some Viking themed activities, I'm thinking getting dressed up in all the gear and making boat raids on the Kilkenny side of the riverðŸ˜.

Its funny the way perceptions and attitudes change with time.

I wonder if in 800 years time our descendants will be wandering around the British Empire triangle or the Cromwell Quarter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,057 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bullpost wrote:
    I wonder if in 800 years time our descendants will be wandering around the British Empire triangle or the Cromwell Quarter

With the current way we 're treating this planet, I doubt anyone will be wandering around in 800 years as I suspect this place will be a toxic swamp by then

RTE News did a report on Culture Night this evening from around the country

This was - Galway, Limerick and Cork and an honorary 2 seconds for a small display in Ennis.

No mention of Waterford (or anywhere in the South East for that matter).

• Advertisement

The Q-Park website has a tourism write-up on each of the cities it has car parks in - Dublin, Cork, Limerick, even Tralee.

This is Limerick's for example:

"LIMERICK - Park in Parking In Limerick City
    Limerick City, the heart of what us Irish call the Treaty County, is steeped in history. Not only is it where The Treaty of Limerick was signed on October 3rd 1691, fast-forward 323 years and Limerick City was the official City of Culture for 2015 with cultural celebrations taking place all year round.

Limerick has many attractions from the medieval King John's Castle to the home of the world-renowned Munster Rugby in Thomond Park Stadium. There are also many galleries and museums across the city so if one thing is for sure, there is never a shortage of things to see and do in Limerick City. "

Guess what - the Waterford one has nothing on it - no Oldest City, no Viking Triangle, no Greenway - nothing on the Kilkenny one either for that matter.

I think a few emails to their contact page to get them to update their website for the Waterford & Kilkenny attractions would go a long way.

But it's yet another example of how our region is ignored - unless we make our voice heard we will be forgotten and things like this damage our tourism potential!

Here is wot I wrote
    I see that in your location profiles Waterford is blank,
    a pity esp as it's Ireland's oldest City with
    very visible (and visitable) Viking and Norman
    history in the city centre. In fact about a minutes
    walk from your car parks!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭invara

Is there a heave on to close the Limerick to Waterford line at the moment; at the same time there is an effort to open the Galway/Limerick line? Does anyone know what is happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,057 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

invara wrote: »
    Is there a heave on to close the Limerick to Waterford line at the moment; at the same time there is an effort to open the Galway/Limerick line? Does anyone know what is happening here?

ive always liked chomskys use of the term 'defunding'! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

invara wrote: »

well they want to close the Limerick Waterford line... cause the numbers are not there to keep it open

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

robtri wrote: »
    well they want to close the Limerick Waterford line... cause the numbers are not there to keep it open

That will be an situation ...... no rail line and a very bad road between West and East.

Government housing plan - Dublin Cork Galway Limerick

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1110/830571-new-homes-initiative/

000d2633-614.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Government housing plan - Dublin Cork Galway Limerick

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1110/830571-new-homes-initiative/

000d2633-614.jpg

Few things,as disappointing as the usual scenario is...
    This I assume is not the government saying they building these houses, they are what they want developers to build.
    Paudie coffey as junior minister ensured that Waterford was in survey of housing stock, supply, demand that presumably relates to those figures, pity we didn't vote in him instead of deasy, we might be somewhere on that list if he still there and possibly in a better place with halligans fruitless attempts re: cardiac care too.

Practically speaking, houses will be built if demand there, we need more retail, more jobs, more people supporting city centre which will knock on to increase our economy and house building, .in short, this looks like more bull**** from fg...houses will be built by developers if they can make a profit not coveney promising them some sort of half arsed fast track planning or something else

Here is wot I wrote
    I see that in your location profiles Waterford is blank,
    a pity esp as it's Ireland's oldest City with
    very visible (and visitable) Viking and Norman
    history in the city centre. In fact about a minutes
    walk from your car parks!

They got back on to me to be fair to them
    Many thanks for your feedback. We are currently undergoing a lovely makeover with the website and hope to update our places of interest soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

They got back on to me to be fair to them

They sent me usual stuff...your comment is important to us ...
    I said I won't be using their car park.

Advertisement