Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst films to watch on a first date?

• 28-08-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

Just finished watching Shame and it got me thinking....

What would be the absolute worst film to watch on a first date?

Shame
    Kill List
    Anti-christ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Schindlers List

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Going to the movies for a first date is a bad move all round. :P

I convinced someone to watch "Freaks " (1932) with me last night though. That was a risky move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Human centipede

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I went to kinsey on a first date. To be honest I think a movie is a crap first date anyway, but I was 19 in college and heard it was good. And it was. But looking at pictures of genitalia and listening to people talk about painful sex and the like was seriously awkward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

A friend of mine invited a girl over for a movie, flicked around on Netflix and found what looked like a nice goofey Jim Carrey comedy.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is not a good date movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

My brother asked me for a dvd that he could watch with his newish gf. A comedy.

I gave him Rules of Attraction.

Think they turned it off after 5 mins. Apparently she didn't think the rape scene was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Accused

Hostel

Shallow Hal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

An File wrote: »

I convinced someone to watch "Freaks " (1932) with me last night though. That was a risky move.

One of us! One of US! ONE OF US!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Years back I bumped into a buddy in Temple Bar who was on a first date, I was headed to the IFI to catch a movie and he and his date tagged along, knowing I was into my indie movies at the time I guess my mate thought he could appropriate a little culture and sophistication to impress his date from my movie choice.
    We went to see Tarnation, a biographical documentary film by Jonathan Coulette cobbled together from video, audio and home movies he had obsessively made over the years. It's kind of harrowing in places as it deals with his deeply troubled childhood and relationship with his schizophrenic mother and is pretty experimental to boot, so perhaps not really a first date movie.
    My mates date literally sobbed her way through the entire film and when it ended so did the date, she was too depressed and emotionally wrung out from the film and just wanted to go home while he was just bored and bewildered by the whole thing.

They are now married.

Not a first date per say, but the first time I was introduced to the new girlfriend of another friend of mine, we met to see a movie, which again I picked.
    This time it was Rules of Attraction, a cheeky indie that looked humorous and entertaining, the fact it was based on a Bret Easton Ellis novel though really should have been a subtle warning that there was going to be all kinds of fukd up involved along the way, certiantly I didn't know it opened with a pretty nasty gang rape at a college party that ends with the semi-conscious victim getting vomited on. God the evil look I got from his girlfriend said it all, this is what you watch for entertainment?

They are now married also. So in a way, perhaps they were good first date movies, at least it gave them something to talk about afterwards, even if that something was largely centered around, 'seriously, what is wrong with your friend?'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The passion of the Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Debbie does Dallas
    One night In Paris
    One night in chyna

Lolita

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Eyes wide shut
    War of the roses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Black swan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

It's not necessary for the film to be bad to put the kibosh on a first date. I'd heard good reviews of this new release...

"Wanna go see a movie?"
    "What's on?
    "True Romance"

*tumbleweed*

Crank

It was so bad and it pushed the myth the no doesn't mean no if she enjoyed it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Looking For Mr Goodbar is about a sexually liberal woman and goes along swimmingly, if somewhat boring, right up until the final scene, in which (this is an utterly **** film that hasn't even came out on dvd so you should just click on the spoiler)
    a young Tom Berenger (who she went on one date with earlier in the film) reappears to brutally rape and murder the woman, credits roll
    See also: Irreversible, Mike Leigh's Naked

Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Anal Angles 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Salo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Deliverance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Best film (from a straight males perspective) might be Titanic.

Long movie but she goes down at the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A Clockwork Orange would be a bad idea. I kinda did that once (wasn't a date but did like the girl)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

The Wolf of Wall Street.

I started re-watching this once on a plane, but had to turn it off during the first scene, as I was embarrassed that the guy beside me could see my screen:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

One of us! One of US! ONE OF US!
    If she comes out chanting this afterwards, she's a keeper.

My worst date movie, Monsieur Hire. Thankfully it wasn't a first date nor the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I brought a first date to see "Enemy at the Gates" , looked good but I really didn't think it out. She was German and her grand father fought in the war.

Just in case you haven't seen that cinematic classic its about a mass ambush of German soldiers in Stalingrad where a serious amount of them died. :pac:

Not my best moment, we were together for 9 years later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

The fifth wave just cos its crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Blue Valentine. An extremely depressing movie starring Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling whereby the movie's timeline is split, contrasting the fun and excitement of a couple's early romance with the painful breakdown of their marriage years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I Went Down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Bad Boy Bubby

Come And See

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Okay, it was our second date but "Wolf Creek" was definitely not his sort of film. Head on a stick..he hasn't forgotten it..
    Can't have been too bad given we're engaged now and that was nearly eleven years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I Spit on Your Grave.

Audition.

Dead Ringers.

Killer Joe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ixoy wrote: »
    Okay, it was our second date but "Wolf Creek" was definitely not his sort of film. Head on a stick..he hasn't forgotten it..
    Can't have been too bad given we're engaged now and that was nearly eleven years ago.

Oh, man! I remember watching that on DVD with an ex about 8 years ago. We also saw "Last House On the Left" in the cinema. Bad choices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Arghus wrote: »
    I Spit on Your Grave.

Audition.

Dead Ringers.

Killer Joe.

Funnily enough my now wife and I went to see Killer Joe on our second or third date.

It was a good litmus test before i told her i was into really extreme cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The Crying Game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There's a niche selection of girls that would enjoy these as "first date movies" but for the majority....

Pi
    Brazil
    Primer
    Any TOS/TNG Star Trek movie
    50s-80s sci-fi (Planet of Apes, Day the Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, etc.)

They're all too slow paced, odd or just plain nerdy to set a tone of fun, romance or fear :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Eyes Wide Shut. I know this from experience (wasn't quite a first date, but near enough).

A Scanner Darkly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Boys don't cry.

It was our first date but definately not a film for throwing an arm around the shoulder. Still together 16 years later though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Bacchus wrote: »
    There's a niche selection of girls that would enjoy these as "first date movies" but for the majority....

Pi
    Brazil
    Primer
    Any TOS/TNG Star Trek movie
    50s-80s sci-fi (Planet of Apes, Day the Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, etc.)

They're all too slow paced, odd or just plain nerdy to set a tone of fun, romance or fear :p

No need to specify girls there, I like a lot of those but I'd ****ing hate to go to any of them on a date. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

What was that film that Robert de Niro takes Sybil Shepherd to see in Taxi Driver?????? :eek:

Blair Witch project

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Irreversible' wouldn't be a great choice.

• Hollow Man
    • Rainman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

I spit on your grave I/II/III

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, it's already been mentioned but Irreversible would definitely top the list of inappropriate first date movies for me. Such a brutal, disturbing film that doesn't leave you for a very, very long time. I think I saw it about ten years ago and even now the mention of that word makes me feel uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Single white female

And that film about the girl with teeth in her hoo ha

MISERY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

El Duda wrote: »
    Just finished watching Shame and it got me thinking....

What would be the absolute worst film to watch on a first date?

Shame
    Kill List
    Anti-christ

The best would be scary film she'll be latched onto you all night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Song for a raggy boy

• Advertisement
Advertisement