Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This years results into next year's grading system

Options
  • 26-08-2016 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Is there anyway to calculate this years LC points into next years. Thinking about repeating and if I end up doing worse will I still have 480 (which I got this year) or will my grades (a1,a2,b1 etc) be changed into (H1,H2,H3 etc).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

aon1998 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to calculate this years LC points into next years. Thinking about repeating and if I end up doing worse will I still have 480 (which I got this year) or will my grades (a1,a2,b1 etc) be changed into (H1,H2,H3 etc).

Well like if you got an A1 last year you got a H1 this year.

A2s and B1s are the equivalent of a H2 (80-89%)

B2s and B3s are the equivalent of a H3 (70-79%)

And it goes on like that :)

The new grades are points are like so: http://www.transition.ie/files/2015/Full%20Details%20-%20Revised%20Common%20Points%20Scale.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Well like if you got an A1 last year you got a H1 this year.

A2s and B1s are the equivalent of a H2 (80-89%)

B2s and B3s are the equivalent of a H3 (70-79%)

And it goes on like that :)

The new grades are points are like so: http://www.transition.ie/files/2015/Full%20Details%20-%20Revised%20Common%20Points%20Scale.pdf

I go down from 465-455 :o. Thank God I did it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

I go down from 465 to 440, its absolutely ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm sure the points for courses will adjust accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

I'm sure the points for courses will adjust accordingly.
    Not necessarily, some people (eg those with a lot of B1s) will have their points rise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

The main impact will be those using their 2016 results when applying next year.

Manufan123 wrote: »
    The main impact will be those using their 2016 results when applying next year.
    Well if somebody got 6 B1s at HL this year they would net a total of 505 points. Next year however, the exact same grades are worth 553 points!!

Well if somebody got 6 B1s at HL this year they would net a total of 505 points. Next year however, the exact same grades are worth 553 points!!

6 B1s this is at HL is 535 points and next year it will be 553. Including HL maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Then points will rise accordingly. Maybe the bell curve will make it harder to achieve a H2/B1 grade.

Samurai12 wrote: »
    6 B1s this is at HL is 535 points and next year it will be 553. Including HL maths.
    Sorry you're right, still though that's insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

I'd go from 595 to 589, this is a weird and seemingly pointless change?

adam240610 wrote: »
    I'd go from 595 to 589, this is a weird and seemingly pointless change?
    Yeah, I prefer the current system. Because with the new one there is a chance that you could miss getting into a course by just 1 or 2 points. And also with the broader percentage range it means that if you appeal your exam, it would be harder for most people to go up a grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yeah, I prefer the current system. Because with the new one there is a chance that you could miss getting into a course by just 1 or 2 points. And also with the broader percentage range it means that if you appeal your exam, it would be harder for most people to go up a grade.

You still effectively miss out on getting a course by 1 point if you miss by 5 points in the current system. Everything is in multiples of 5, it makes it hard to separate out grades, and leads to random selection, which is crap for those that miss out.

There are currently 11 grades for LC from A1 - D3, they could just as easily have given them points 11 down to 1 when the points system was redesigned 20-25 years ago.

I reckon the vast majority will end up overall in the same position points-wise in relation to everyone else in the country. No point looking at one set of points in isolation.

If you want to take one of the high points courses such as Medicine. Despite the HPAT, you still need in and around 550 points to stand a chance of getting in from what I see of my students who have applied in the last couple of years. That's 6A2s and bonus points for maths ballpark area. A change in the points system is not going to change the kind of grades required to score near the top of that bell curve.

I would also guess that the CAO have run several simulations of this maybe looking at the grades scored by students on a particular year and seeing how they would translate, into points and into offers. Well, that's what I would do if I was running the CAO.

You still effectively miss out on getting a course by 1 point if you miss by 5 points in the current system. Everything is in multiples of 5, it makes it hard to separate out grades, and leads to random selection, which is crap for those that miss out.

There are currently 11 grades for LC from A1 - D3, they could just as easily have given them points 11 down to 1 when the points system was redesigned 20-25 years ago.

I reckon the vast majority will end up overall in the same position points-wise in relation to everyone else in the country. No point looking at one set of points in isolation.

If you want to take one of the high points courses such as Medicine. Despite the HPAT, you still need in and around 550 points to stand a chance of getting in from what I see of my students who have applied in the last couple of years. That's 6A2s and bonus points for maths ballpark area. A change in the points system is not going to change the kind of grades required to score near the top of that bell curve.

I would also guess that the CAO have run several simulations of this maybe looking at the grades scored by students on a particular year and seeing how they would translate, into points and into offers. Well, that's what I would do if I was running the CAO.
    Fair enough but if everyone is going to end up relatively the same then I don't see the point of changing it at all.

Fair enough but if everyone is going to end up relatively the same then I don't see the point of changing it at all.

To remove random selection. Points are not going to be given out in the same multiples. The points from H1-H7 are 100/88/77/66/56/46/37. That leaves a gap of 12/11/11/10/10/9 respectively between the higher level points. It should reduce the number of students on the same number of points, and have a greater spread of points overall. Reducing random selection.

To remove random selection. Points are not going to be given out in the same multiples. The points from H1-H7 are 100/88/77/66/56/46/37. That leaves a gap of 12/11/11/10/10/9 respectively between the higher level points. It should reduce the number of students on the same number of points, and have a greater spread of points overall. Reducing random selection.

Ok thanks for clearing things up. And congrats on 10,000 posts

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

One big improvement I think is that those who just fail at HL get some points. Given that those people should have been capable of passing, probably with a half-decent grade, at OL, this seems more fair and will probably reduce the fear of attempting HL for some people.
    Not sure if that's something to be congratulated on! :pac:

(Looks at 26k plus and shudders! :o)

One big improvement I think is that those who just fail at HL get some points. Given that those people should have been capable of passing, probably with a half-decent grade, at OL, this seems more fair and will probably reduce the fear of attempting HL for some people.

Well if the 10,000 posts are filled with posts as helpful as these ones. Then its at least a good thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This wasn't just pulled out of a hat. A number of simulations have been run over a number of years of results and this has been deemed to be fairest.

In my day 26 points got you easily into Medicine. Things change.

spurious wrote: »
    In my day 26 points got you easily into Medicine. Things change.

Honours

A = 5
    B = 4
    C = 3
    D = 2

Ordinary

A = 2
    B = 1

Just for those young 'uns who are scratching their heads and going "WTF?!!" :pac:
    Well if the 10,000 posts are filled with posts as helpful as these ones. Then its at least a good thing.
    Oh, RBT has opened the eyes of a whole generation to the effectiveness of a burdizzo. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Plus an extra 2 for an A in HL Maths, I think, or maybe that came in the year I left.

Really? I never knew that, thought the recent 25 points was the first time some bright spark had decided bonus points for maths would solve everything!

Oh, RBT has opened the eyes of a whole generation to the effectiveness of a burdizzo. ;)

What is a burdizzo?

What is a burdizzo?

Don't google it. No, really, don't, especially if you are a boy person.

Sadly its too late, I had already googled it much to my horror

Spoilsport!! :mad:

(For context samurai, RBT teaches AgSci as well as other subjects.)

Spoilsport!! :mad:

(For context samurai, RBT teaches AgSci as well as other subjects.)

Makes me glad that I never took up AgSci in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Plus an extra 2 for an A in HL Maths, I think, or maybe that came in the year I left.

yeah and you used to get an extra point for a B or a C. I think a D in HL Maths was still worth 2. Of course you had the Matric in the 80s so if you messed up in the Leaving you had another chance a few weeks later.

I'd say a good 20k of them say 'read the CAO handbook!'

I go away for a few hours.... My ears were burning!
    Really? I never knew that, thought the recent 25 points was the first time some bright spark had decided bonus points for maths would solve everything!

Bonus points were around in the mid to late 90s for honours maths. UL and one of the Dublin colleges offered them.

Went something like

A1-40
    A2-35
    B1-30
    B2-25
    B3-20
    C1-15
    C2-10
    C3-5

There were no bonus points for D grade at higher level. My C3 in HL maths gave me the 5 extra points needed to get my first choice course.

• Advertisement

I'd say a good 20k of them say 'read the CAO handbook!'
    Probably! :rolleyes:
    Bonus points were around in the mid to late 90s for honours maths. UL and one of the Dublin colleges offered them.
    DCU, given that it would have been the other one of "NIHE" origin?

I wouldn't mind so much individual colleges offering bonus points, or bonus points in maths being offered on maths-relevant courses.

Government-mandated bonus points for HL maths universally for all courses whether they need maths or not strikes me more as a cheap way of being seen to do something, rather than putting the extra resources to support maths into the system from primary on ... which might actually achieve something real, not just optics!

Advertisement