Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

California to legalise recreational use of weed

Options
  • 19-08-2016 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

Up for the vote in November according to this article https://www.woahstork.com/blog/auma-only-reason-to-vote/

Following in Colorado & Washington's steps & it will pass the vote. The state was the first to pass medical use and has the highest number of registered users in the US.

Their revenue from this is going to be absolutely massive. It's a shame our own legislators can't see beyond their local voters to see the medicinal & revenue benefits it would bring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Not just revenue, it would take millions of Euro directly out of criminal's pockets too.
    It would also keep the quality high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I spent a weekend with a stoner buddy recently. He passed a couple hours showing me YouTube stoner stuff.

I am having trouble comprehending the extent to which they have gone in the other direction. There's obviously massive money to be made, there's hundreds of products, Chi-Chi packaging, some rappers selling their own brand weed, dispensaries all over.

I just can't help thinking they're going to reschedule it inevitably.

But the thing that stood out most was the resin, or 'shatter'. 97% THC and they hit it like crack heads. It's a long way from 5 spots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Great news. I hope this inspires other states and governments to follow suit.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Every single modern country in the world will have it legalised, and the backward governments of Ireland will be still stuck in the dark ages of criminalising cannabis.

It will never be legalised for recreational use in Ireland.

Great news. I hope this inspires other states and governments to follow suit.

I expect to see it legal for medicinal use here in 2020.
    For recreation, might take until 2030.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

OU812 wrote: »
    Up for the vote in November according to this article https://www.woahstork.com/blog/auma-only-reason-to-vote/

Following in Colorado & Washington's steps & it will pass the vote. The state was the first to pass medical use and has the highest number of registered users in the US.

Their revenue from this is going to be absolutely massive. It's a shame our own legislators can't see beyond their local voters to see the medicinal & revenue benefits it would bring.

There's going to be massive issues though for vendors due to it still being illegal on a federal level. A lot of business owners selling it in Colorado can't get any banks to take their income from sales off their hands due to federal laws against it, to quote from the Denver Post even though the Department of Justice has said they won't prosecute banks who allow weed sellers to lodge their earnings there " thee DOJ stopped short of offering blanket protection against enforcement. Many bankers worry that they could risk losing accreditation and face money-laundering charges if a marijuana business client turns out to be a front for the illegal drug trade no matter how diligent the bank was at vetting them"

It's an issue if you're earning a lot of cash and have nowhere to store it safely.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

So what makes you think it will pass considering the voters of California rejected a similar proposal for legal weed in 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

California needs every dollar it can get at the moment

So what makes you think it will pass considering the voters of California rejected a similar proposal for legal weed in 2010?

It has moved on hugely in those 6 years. From what I can make out it is at this stage de facto legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I don't smoke it (anymore) but I really think the Irish government is missing a trick here on being the first place in Europe (apart from Netherlands) to legalise it and tax the s**t out of it... it could bring about massive tourism/economic boost and be a punch in the nuts to the criminals (well, to their weed traffic anyway).

Imagine owning a cafe in Dingle/Lahinch/West Cork/Achill/Aran Islands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not just revenue, it would take millions of Euro directly out of criminal's pockets too.
    It would also keep the quality high.

Just as is happening with blackmarket fags:(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

leakyboots wrote: »
    I don't smoke it (anymore) but I really think the Irish government is missing a trick here on being the first place in Europe (apart from Netherlands) to legalise it and tax the s**t out of it... it could bring about massive tourism/economic boost and be a punch in the nuts to the criminals (well, to their weed traffic anyway).

I doubt it.

The US has a long and illustrious history of cannabis smoking, growing and breeding.

In Europe it is normalised to the extent that it's legal in all but name in places like Spain and parts of Germany, Switzerland, Portugal.

It would take serious time and effort to do what you moot. Sounds great but can't see it.

Also you're relying on hundreds of thousands of pot heads to get their shīt together and get to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's been practically legalised in California for most of a decade tbh. Like you say, the highest number of registered medicinal users in the US - there are clinics specifically for it and it's mostly just a front where people feign an illness to get a prescription. Everyone turns a blind eye.

Legalisation will just regularise what the situation already is on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Every single modern country in the world will have it legalised, and the backward governments of Ireland will be still stuck in the dark ages of criminalising cannabis.

It will never be legalised for recreational use in Ireland.

Our politicians will be like that last little duckling whose fear of jumping into the river for the first time is only superseded by his fear of being left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

That's my dream, to open a cannabis cafe on Achill Island, i would have some happy tourists.

Just a dream.

Our politicians will be like that last little duckling whose fear of jumping into the river for the first time is only superseded by his fear of being left behind.

They're only going to do as the people want.

In US there was a huge political movement building momentum for decades before the various propositions or compassionate use came into being.

Where is that in Ireland? Stoners moaning about politicians from behind a listless cloud of indolence is contemptible.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

leakyboots wrote: »

Wouldn't that be brilliant!? I've always imagined how Ireland's cultural landscape would change with the legalisation of cannabis. Imagine a stoner-orientated pub (out on some beautiful beach in Clare for example). You could go in, smoke your spliffs, have a pint, get a pub dinner, sit in on a trad session and then be on your merry way to the beach... Sounds like bliss :D I can imagine Ireland's rowdy weekend nature would be altered notably by the influx of legal cannabis.

I think it's only a matter of time to be honest. Think it was on boards that I read, where someone's sibling was in the Gardai and they said that every Garda under the age of 40 thinks the war on cannabis (not sure about other drugs) is a complete waste of time and money, and were for the legalisation of it. Guess we just have to wait for our older generation to pass on.

I've a funny feeling the UK will relatively soon become a cannabis-friendly country country, either through very lenient decriminalisation or legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just as is happening with blackmarket fags:(

So much for taxing the sh1t out of it then. If cigarettes were €3 a pack there'd be no illegal trafficking. We can't seem to see beyond the easy cash cow argument. Similar with petrol/diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Major problem with Cannabis is, that it alters your brain chemistry, and while your brain grows it is bad. So after 25 you should be fine with taking it, what still causes a black market as a large chunk of users is below 25.

Stoners moaning about politicians from behind a listless cloud of indolence is contemptible.

What's contemptible is wasting resources making criminals out of people for using weed.

The End.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I'd legalise and regulate most drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Harika wrote: »
    Major problem with Cannabis is, that it alters your brain chemistry, and while your brain grows it is bad. So after 25 you should be fine with taking it, what still causes a black market as a large chunk of users is below 25.

Eh, doesn't pretty much everything we ingest affect brain chemistry through blood flow?

Edit: http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/nutritional-psychiatry-your-brain-on-food-201511168626

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be brilliant!? I've always imagined how Ireland's cultural landscape would change with the legalisation of cannabis. Imagine a stoner-orientated pub (out on some beautiful beach in Clare for example). You could go in, smoke your spliffs, have a pint, get a pub dinner, sit in on a trad session and then be on your merry way to the beach... Sounds like bliss :D I can imagine Ireland's rowdy weekend nature would be altered notably by the influx of legal cannabis.

I've a funny feeling the UK will relatively soon become a cannabis-friendly country country, either through very lenient decriminalisation or legalisation.

It was transferred from Class B to C in Britain in 2005. Again after years of political campaigning that has never happened in this country. Then retransferred in 2009.

And smoking is illegal in pubs. Joints or otherwise. So your scenario is bunkum.

What's contemptible is wasting resources making criminals out of people for using weed.

The End.

So there.

Well if that's the level of debate from the anti prohibition side, the prohibitionists can rest easy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Harika wrote: »

Same argument could be made for technology. Some studies have shown too much screen time (especially for younger people) can lead to microstructure abnormalities in the human brain, not too dissimilar to what happens from drug use.

So there.

Well if that's the level of debate from the anti prohibition side, the prohibitionists can rest easy.

THE END.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I think it's only a matter of time to be honest. Think it was on boards that I read, where someone's sibling was in the Gardai and they said that every Garda under the age of 40 thinks the war on cannabis (not sure about other drugs) is a complete waste of time and money, and were for the legalisation of it. Guess we just have to wait for our older generation to pass on.

Sadly it's not Guards who make the laws but TDs, the vast majority of whom are socially very conservative like it or not.

I can imagine Ireland's rowdy weekend nature would be altered notably by the influx of legal cannabis.

I dunno. Is there anyone who wants to smoke weed, who currently doesn't? I only know of one individual who won't do so (owing to funding criminal gangs/violence) but he's certainly the exception. I don't think legal weed would have that much of an affect on pubbing at the weekend tbh.
    It has moved on hugely in those 6 years. From what I can make out it is at this stage de facto legal.

Maybe. I thought that was pretty much the case in 2010 too.
    And smoking is illegal in pubs. Joints or otherwise. So your scenario is bunkum.

Well just tobacco actually.

Well just tobacco actually.

There is no doubt you'll be breaking the law if you smoke cannabis, tobacco, heroin or cocaine in a pub in Ireland. And asked to leave even if it's only coltsfoot.

You can't vape in a lot of places.

But that poster can do all that he wants, including the cannabis, right now, so the legalisation thing wouldn't make a huge amount of practicable difference.

• Advertisement

There is no doubt you'll be breaking the law if you smoke cannabis, tobacco, heroin or cocaine in a pub in Ireland. And asked to leave even if it's only coltsfoot.

You can't vape in a lot of places.

Well those substances are illegal, and as for vaping that's up to each business. Government haven't stepped in there yet. In Amsterdam you can smoke away on weed no bother in the cafes, but if it's a joint or a fag you gotta take it outside.

Advertisement