Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah its been deeply deeply infuriating, I've just about kept it together because its not my machine its his :D! I may have the slightest smallest sliver of hope after speaking to the MS dude so hopefully his debugging was on the money and we have a fruitful direction to head!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen 3100 & 3300X

4 cores / 8 threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Best thing about that was finding out about the release time of the B550. IT's mental releasing it nearly a full year since the 3000 series launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Why would someone pay $120 for a 3300X when a Ryzen 1600AF with more cores/threads is significantly cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Homelander wrote: »
    Why would someone pay $120 for a 3300X when a Ryzen 1600AF with more cores/threads is significantly cheaper?

higher clock speeds for use cases that dont utilize threads very well 4.3 ghz vs 3.6
    zen2 core vs zen+ so ips improvements
    lower power usage 7nm vs 12nm both officially 65watt parts but thats generally down to the cpu cooler provided rather than the actual power the chip uses but should be lower so ideal for nas boxes etc

more cores does not always equal better performance all depends on the workload.

• Advertisement

True, but there are very few cases in the low-end category it lives in, where it makes sense. Low-end CPU's tend to usually be home desktops, office PCs, very budget gaming rigs.

I just can't see how a 3300X would make more sense than a cheaper 1600AF in 90% of cases. The longevity of the 1600AF is so much better in the overwhelming majority of applications.

And, if IPC and core specific apps is the only concern, then Intel would be a solid bet in the 9400F.

I don't have a problem with the processor, but it just seems redundant in any practical case I can think of versus getting a cheaper 1600AF/going Intel, at it's price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

And, if IPC and core specific apps is the only concern, then Intel would be a solid bet in the 9400F.

I would guess that its faster single core then a 9400F.
    I would also guess that it probably that they have a excess of single core CCX's that clock high and made a market segment for them.

It seems to be really hard to AMD to break into the OEM laptop and desktop market, so its seems like they are focused on the laptop market right now and ignoring the declining desktop market.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/g8srme

RIP i7-6700K/7700K resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

*cries in 4790K*

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Serephucus wrote: »
    *cries in 4790K*

F

• Advertisement

It won't really affect the resale value of 6700/7700K at all. People buy those CPU's for convenience, not raw power. It's the same reason you can get an i5-2500 for €15 but people still pay €80-100 for i7-2600's.

People were still happily paying €150-€200 for 6700's when Ryzen 1600, 2600, Intel 9400F and so on were around, 3300X isn't some sort of magic bean to change that.

It won't really affect the resale value of 6700/7700K at all. People buy those CPU's for convenience, not raw power. It's the same reason you can get an i5-2500 for €15 but people still pay €80-100 for i7-2600's.

People were still happily paying €150-€200 for 6700's when Ryzen 1600, 2600, Intel 9400F and so on were around, 3300X isn't some sort of magic bean to change that.

Pretty much this. My upgrade would be a 5960x, which is pretty much on par with a 1700x first gen Ryzen. They sell for circa 250 quid second hand, at 4 years old. Its nuts what people pay for convenience.

How would a 1600af compare to a 3600. Gaming only with a 1080, I think he games at 4k. Our issues with our machine are still going on to the point I'm thinking of buying a different CPU to rule it out. Will sell it on if it doesn't help.

Not as good obviously but capable if I needed to keep it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

.G. wrote: »
    How would a 1600af compare to a 3600. Gaming only with a 1080, I think he games at 4k. Our issues with our machine are still going on to the point I'm thinking of buying a different CPU to rule it out. Will sell it on if it doesn't help.

Not as good obviously but capable if I needed to keep it?

Would it not be easier to RMA the bad chip?

We don't know if its bad. Its the only thing left though. It passed an Aida64 test I did a while back but still BSODs at random and games still crash continually. If it was Amazon I'd have done it ages ago for a no quible free replacement but its OCUK so it means sending it back, them testing it and deciding what to do all the while he's without his PC during lockdown which won't help. I'm sick and tired of it at this stage I'll spend money to be done with it! even though spending money on a motherboard and a PSU didn't help!

Get an Athlon 200GE to tide him over :pac:

For real though the 1600AF/2600 should be relatively close to a 3600.

Also did you check it's not the RAM?

I did a ram swap for a while. His with mine. Solved nothing and his has passed memtest overnight and the google stressapptest thing. A part of me is thinking I'll get a 3600 from amazon and then accidentally send the wrong one back in the box :pac:

For 4K 60fps the 1600AF is pretty much fine, it's basically a Ryzen 2600. >60fps though the 3600 is noticeably better if you're playing at lower resolutions or games that aren't demanding at 4K.

Yeah I'll order an AF. I get two weeks to change my mind and send it back if I open the box carefully enough :D. Someone might get a cheaper 1600AF on adverts if it doesn't solve my issue!

No stock on Amazon thats direct from them so I'l wait til there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Isn't it a bollox how Amazon have started charging at the time of order now rather than when shipped. Used to give customers so much flexibility

• Advertisement

Yeah that is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm not really affected as I like to jump a few generations when upgrading, but AMDs plan to limit Zen 3 to 5 series boards has disappointed me a bit.

I'm not really affected as I like to jump a few generations when upgrading, but AMDs plan to limit Zen 3 to 5 series boards has disappointed me a bit.

I'll believe it when the chips are out.

*edit*
    Ah.
    https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2020/05/07/the-exciting-future-of-amd-socket-am4

Bugger.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'll believe it when the chips are out.

Nah, its confirmed at this point. The technical reason is that the there are so many compatible processors with significantly different architecture that the bios storage on a lot of boards has literally run out of space for the all the microcode needed. A few boards are already hitting this cap at the moment.

Edit: Should probably add, just because it isn't supported, it doesn't mean it can't happen(hence a320 boards running 3950's). It depends on the manufacturer and what they do.

pastedImage_3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Makes me glad I have a X570. I more than likely will pick up a 4700X. The full 8 core CCX sounds good.

Maybe MSI keep the MAX motherboard users happy (32MB BIOS chips).

3300x seems to be great CPU for the price. All anyone really needs for gaming on a budget unless you want to future proof with more cores.

Makes me glad I have a X570. I more than likely will pick up a 4700X. The full 8 core CCX sounds good.

Its sounds like AMD is going to deliver the last few kicks to intel while they are down.

I see my multinational's laptop choices are all AMD based now(cost reasons).

• Advertisement

Its sounds like AMD is going to deliver the last few kicks to intel while they are down.

I see my multinational's laptop choices are all AMD based now(cost reasons).

Yup, laptop prices are amazing at the low-end.

When you can get a 6-core for €500 or 8-core for €650 how does Intel compete?

Advertisement