Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grey skies give way to......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Mon 13/07/20 6.11km 42:15
    6 times 5 mins with a 2 min recovery in between. Happy enough with this, pace felt good averaging 5:55 mins/km.

Weds 15/07/20 6.9km 48:02
    Ah should have rounded up to 7km! 400m with 200m recovery times 10. These felt tough towards the end, I think 8 reps would have done me. Didn't help that we had a bit of an audience in the park who were supplied with alcoholic beverages.

Sun 19/07/20 13km 1hr31mins
    Splits: 6:58, 6:57, 7:08, 7:07, 6:50, 7:32, 7:14, 7:28, 7:13, 7:21, 6:51, 6:36, 5:59
    The running group were doing a 10 mile loop but I didn't feel up to doing that distance. So myself and a few others arranged our transport in such a way that we started the route just before the 4 mile mark. A route I'd never run before, a nice enough country route with a few hills and corners. Really enjoyed the pace, felt like I could have run at the pace for miles more. By the time we got back to the end of the route it was 10.5km and as a good few people weren't finished I carried on out the road and back a bit to round up a few kms. Stomach wasn't the best after this, I think I had my porridge too soon before running and I didn't drink enough water while out (although I didn't feel thirsty). But nonetheless I was happy with this run.

Mon 20/07/20 5.6km 36:50
    8mins steady, 1 min rec, 1 min fast, 1 min rec time 3. Good this was a tough session, they seem to start the week off tough or maybe it's the long run the day before. I felt the 8 mins went on for ever and the 1 min fast i just didn't go fast enough.

No running throughout the week as there was a few things going on.

Sat 25/07/20 10km 1:10:12
    Splits: 6:21, 6:54, 6:49, 6:43, 7:21, 7:33, 7:06, 7:08, 7:34, 6:40
    The young lad had registered for the Great Ireland virtual run. I said to him to map out a route there himself and I'd run some of it, thinking he'd pick and out and back and not a loop. So he did up a loop and I said sure here I might as well run it too. A fair bit of climbing for the 2nd km which I think tired out the legs for much of the rest of the run. I think I'd enjoy the route more as part of a long easy run and not near the start of a 10km. But himself was happy with his run at least.

Sun 26/07/20 11.5km 1hr22mins
    Splits: 7:29, 7:07, 6:58, 7:30, 6:41, 7:36, 7:20, 7:28, 6:46, 6:49, 6:54, 6:59 (0.5)
    I decided to run the part of the 10 mile loop the others did last week that I didn't cover. It was under 4 miles out so an out and back route it was for me. Probably should have been a longer run but having run 10km the day before I think it was long enough - a half marathon in the space of 24 hours. The route certainly dragged, uphills were slight but never ending it felt. It would really tire the legs. Turned and on the way back the rain started, it got heavier and sideway and we got soaked. All we could do was power on and get back. The rain eased off and we started to dry off a bit before it started raining again at the 10km mark.

Tues 28/07/20 6.5km 45mins
    3 times 10 mins with 3 mins recovery. Warm up and cool down. Did this session on my own and quite enjoyed it. Nice to be back on one of my "lockdown" routes again.

No running for the rest of the weekdays due to a bereavement.

Sat 01/08/20 10km 1:02:57
    Splits: 6:00, 5:57, 6:07, 6:10, 6:14, 6:16, 6:16, 6:35, 6:29, 6:23
    Had registered for a local 10km which got the go-ahead due to small numbers. Normally I hate a small entry field but they had other distances going at the same time on a 5km route so there was always a bi of company. Having run the route recently I was fairly familiar with it.
    Started off a little slower than last time but still passed out half my field in the first few 100m, luckily I kept them behind me for the rest of the run. First loop was doing ok, was happy enough with my pace. The second loop did feel harder, it was getting warmer out and I was running out of water (the water station was at the start/finish line). Someone told me our running coach was spectating so I was trying to look strong and keep going incase he saw me! I wasn't really racing this, I just wanted to keep it steady and better paced and bar km's 8 and 9 I was happy enough with my pace.

Sun 02/08/2020 10 miles 1hr 50mins
    Splits (kms): 6:44, 6:48, 6:52, 6:53, 6:50, 6:44, 6:53, 6:22, 6:29, 6:30, 6:42, 7:08, 7:15, 7:24, 7:14, 7:02
    While I was probably foolish to go out for a 10 mile run the day after a 10 km race I felt I needed to get a 10 mile run under my belt before the 10 mile race in 2 weeks time. Landed a bit earlier before the group run and got 2 miles done before we all started off. Nice and enjoyable and plenty of chat. Had a great catch up with someone I hadn't seen in person since Covid kicked off. I think kms 8-10 were quicker because we we chatting about running and races! However I noticed after 10km that I could feel the tiredness in the legs from the previous day's run. And fair play to M, she got me to slow my pace down and kept me controlled and moving. I need to figure out now what time and pace to aim for on race day, I'm never raced a 10 mile before.

Weds 05/08/2020 5.5km 44:13
    We did hill repeats as part of the training session. Tough but is it strange that I enjoyed it?! My legs the following day though!!

Sat 08/08/2020
    Someone close to me was doing the JFK 50 mile challenge virtual. So I was helping out a lot with walks for company, collecting and dropping back other people who were walking a bit, providing drinks and nibbles for those involved. Busy and on the go all day. Quite enjoyed it, the atmosphere and support was great. I switched on the garmin whenever I walked a bit, think I walked nearly 30km in total.

Mon 10/08/20 5.3km 35mins
    I can't really remember what this session as, it looks like it was 4 x 8 mins with 2 mins recovery, watch was a bit funny with the splits.

Weds 12/08/20 6.96km (why didn't I round up!) 54:27
    8 x 750m with 2 mins recovery. Again a tough but good session. Nice to have a change of location. Trying not to go all out for this session, we had our virtual 10 mile race coming up on Sunday...

Sat 15/08/20 4.86km 50 mins
    Out for a walk to stretch and loosen out the legs ahead of the 10 mile race...

Sun 16/08/20 10 mile group race 1:58
    Splits: km 6:44, 6:19, 6:20, 6:25, 6:37, 6:37, 6:40, 7:08, 6:52, 6:29, 6:58, 7:36, 6:24, 18:04, 6:31, 6:13, 5:33 (0.1)
    It just didn't go my way on the day.
    Up around 7, dressed, breakfast a 7:30 and left the house at 7:50 to start around 8:10am. Our running group had arranged that we would run this locally ourselves as the event had been cancelled earlier in the week due to the extension of covid restrictions. We set a finish time and everyone set off on their own start time based on their estimated running time. I estimated 1:45 but was hoping near 1:43/1:42. Set off thinking it was fine. But after 2 or 3 km it already felt like I was having to work. I just figured it was racing, I was going to have to work for my time.
    When I got over 7km I found myself starting to struggle. The group I had set off with, one part were stronger and had gradually moved on ahead and I gave up trying to stay with them. Another two were behind me, they were running for a slower time and not racing. My stomach was starting to give me trouble. I walked a little after 8km for the turning point. After turning I was like I'm on my way back, just keep going. The way back was good in spots where we seen the later (and faster) starters and got to wave and cheer. But after that my stomach would cramp every so often and I felt very uncomfortable.
    I think around 12km I rang my husband. I knew he was coming over to the finish and would be passing me on the road. I wanted him to bring me to my parents house nearby so I could use the loo. By the time he drove up to me, the two girls behind me had caught up and I decided I'd stick with them, chat and distract myself and just get to the finish so I told him stupidly that I was ok. He ended up parking around the corner near my parents house to cheer us all on. As soon as I saw him I just gave up, I couldn't do it anymore and cried for him to bring me "home" to my parents house. I felt like a failure, the first big event I did with the running group and I wasn't able, I'm clearly biting off more than I can chew, who did I think I was running with fast marathon runners?!
    Once I got myself sorted and refreshed in my parents house I asked himself to bring me back to where I left off. I was going to finish this, I wasn't going to quit. I set off again gingerly and crossed my fingers that I would be ok to keep going. I was conscious that I was over the finish time and everyone would be waiting for me, the whole point of us setting a finish time was so that people wouldn't be standing around waiting. After the 14km mark it felt a bit tough again, I felt slow and weak, was this stupid event ever going to end! The last km I just had to keep going, F it anyway!
    I was happy enough at the end, I was relieved to finish, I was proud I didn't give up.
    Afterwards when I seen my time 1:58 vs my moving time 1:46 I felt disappointed. I felt I didn't get the run or race I was capable of.

Mon 17/08/20 6km 48 mins
    I didn't get in for training tonight so did it locally. 2 x 15 mins stead with 2 mins recovery. Ended up being very slow recovery run instead of steady which was what my body needed.

Tues 18/08/20
    Went to my first fitness class in probably a year. Really enjoyed it but it's hard to get into, it seems to book out very quick.

I didn't run the rest of the week. I planned on getting out on Fri afternoon to re-do my 10 miles but I ended up having to work late. Sat I ended up having a lazy day at home, I was so tired. I decided I would meet for the usual Sunday morning group run and do 10 miles then and try and just get a better run.

Sun 23/08/20 10 miles 1:45:23
    Splits: km 6:38, 6:39, 6:38, 6:36, 6:31, 6:38, 6:35, 6:40, 6:37, 6:46, 6:33, 6:36, 6:25, 6:32, 6:16, 6:06, 5:18 (0.1)
    Met with a couple of other ladies who were doing 10 mile and about my pace. I just wanted a 10 mile run that I was happy with, whatever pace it was. We just ran along and chatted. After about 5km I said that I was hoping to just keep steady like the current pace and use this as my 10 mile. I was given out to for trying to race the 10 mile again! But the girls understood me and we just kept it comfortable. At 11km with 5km to go, the pace felt like it picked up a bit and that I now had to work at it. For the last 2 miles one of the girls pushed on ahead while the other stayed with me and brought me on. She did push me, the last 2 km were tough but she was great to get me to the end of it and I was very grateful to them both. Much happier with this run, I tried not to put myself under pressure, I just wanted a 10 mile that I was happy with.

• Advertisement

Time for another long overdue update on my log!

Mon 24/08/20 7.3km 51 mins
    5 x 1km runs with 400m recovery inbetween plus a warm up and cool down. My average was about 6:05/6:10 mins per km for each interval, not pushing too much having done the 10 miles the day before. Btu happy the body was working fine!

Took it easy rest of week with some walking.

Sat 29/08/20 Total 24.3 km Total time 3hr 10
    Includes half marathon 2hr35, average pace 7:15 mins/km
    There was a socially distant event on nearby so I decided why not combine my long run with the half marathon. Did a mile warm up beforehand.
    Quite happy with my start, I tend to start way too fast but kept it lovely and steady, probably could have been slower. Food and water station at 7.5km with a quick toilet break. After that my stomach was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. Around the 15km mark there was another toilet and I felt much better after that. There on it did feel a little tougher going. I had full marathoners passing me who had only started an hour earlier. A turning point at 18km, I refilled my water and switched from listening to podcasts to listening to some 90's and early 00s dance music and this powered me along. Couldn't believe it when my watch said I'd 20km done so I put the boot down for the last km and a bit.

After I'd gotten a cuppa and my medal, I walked back the course to meet with someone I knew and jogged in with them to the finish so that served as my little cool down.

Mon 31/08/20
    44km cycled
    Away for a few days. We got a great day to hire bikes and cycle from Achill to Westport. An enjoyable day out. Stopped in Mulranny for tea nad in Newport for lunch. Some parts of the route were a bit tough with a climb. But the greenway is well done, portaloos along the way, seating, view points, signage. Found the route quite tough as we got to the outskirts before Westport. Perhaps the legs (and backside) were sore!

Tues 01/09/20 5km 36:23
    Splits: 7:12, 7:45, 7:12, 7:28, 6:40
    Out for an early morning recovery run around Westport house and by the pier.

Weds 02/09/20
    Had planned to hike up Croagh Patrick today. Not a great morning when we got up, we hung about the hotel for an hours or two looking out the window. In the end we drove out to the Reek and figured we wouldn't melt in the rain! We only got up just past the statute and there was affectively a river flowing down the mountain. We are not experienced hikers and we were not going to take the risk. The reek isn't going anywhere, we'll try again next Spring or Summer.

Fri 04/09/20 5.3km 35:07
    Splits: 6:39, 6:36, 6:38, 7:02, 6:28, 5:14 (0.3)
    After a stay in Bearna in Galway I headed out for a run from the hotel to Silver Strand beach and back to Barna Pier. A nice run along a busy road, few people in the water for a morning dip. Only thing I found was that any runners or walkers I met along the way bar two weren't friendly or even said hi or a nod of the head. But lovely to get a run with some sea air.

Sun 04/09/20 18.1km 2hr 06mins
    Av pace 6:58mins/km
    Meeting with the running group for a few miles. I arrived a bit earlier to get a sneaky mile or two extra beforehand. But someone else had landed early also so I asked him to join me. But he was a much faster runner than me so my first 2.5km of the run was much too fast. Once we got back to the car park and met the rest of the gang we set off again at about 6:30 mins/km pace. At 7km I had to stop briefly to stretch my calves. At about 10km my mind was starting to overthink - I would just run to the car park with them and not do the out and back bit with them. From then on it felt like a struggle to keep pace and that I was holding them up. At 13.5km I admitted defeat and sent them on their way, said I was walk to the car park and promised to join them for coffee. And so I walked. I was so disappointed. I had a bit of time to spare before they would be back and was passing the entrance to the business park so decided I would walk around there. My walk turned into a slow jog and I ended up staying going and having a little exploration of the business park. Felt so much happier leaving the business park and picked up my pace again back to the car park for the last km, even ran past it to round up to 18km.

I believe you learn from your "bad" runs - and I learnt that if I want to increase my distance, I need to slow down.

Mon 07/09/20 - Sun 13/09/20
    Kms ran = 0
    It felt like everything was back this week - school, work in the office, coaching athletics, fitness class. My running group was now down to one group session a week and it was the one evening I couldn't make. I just felt so busy and all over the place that I was too tired and unmotivated to get out for a run. Managed to get out for a few walks before work.

Mon 14/09/20 7.5km 51:27
    Splits: 6:31, 7:08, 6:38, 7:28, 6:34, 7:20, 6:49, 5:51 (0.5)
    With kiddo back training and no group run I set out on my own. Pace seems up and down and I'm not going to lie - I felt a bit lonely.

Fri 18/09/20 7.5km 59mins
    As I was missing the Weds night sessions due to coaching, I decided I would do them myself on a Thurs or Fri. As it went to fitness class Thurs eve I got up early on Fri morning to do it. Did 14 x 200m with 200m recovery. A tough but doable session and great way to start the day.

Sun 20/09/20 26km (16 miles) 3hr 19
    Av pace 7:41 mins/km
    So I was registered for Dublin virtual marathon. And I had to start upping the mileage. So I had to forgo the group Sunday run for a super slow solo run. Actually had company for the first 12km as hubbie ran with me. After that I did find it lonely for a bit. But I soon got back into my stride. Around the 19km mark I started to struggle again. It wasn't a great part of the route as a lot of it was facing uphill for 2km and when I got to half marathon stage I said to myself I'm never going a real marathon - this isn't fun, I going to stick with max half marathon. Got back to the house and had a 3 mile loop left to bring me up to 16 miles and do you know what - it was the best part of the run! I put some good music on, it was a loop I liked, I knew I hadn't far to go and got out of my funk and into my run. I felt like I finished so strong and was completely buzzing after it! Did wonder how the hell I was supposed to do another 10 miles after that but elated as doing my longest run ever.

Mon 21/09/20 6km 51 mins
    I had set out to go for a walk while the kid was training but bumped into someone I knew who was out for a run so I joined him for a few kms. I was delighted to see that my legs still worked after doing 16 miles the previous day.

Rest of the week - no running.
    Had two fitness classes, coaching kids athletics, work getting quite busy. One of those "life got in the way" weeks. I went for a nice long walk on Sat afternoon as I had some free time and found out when I got back that I wouldn't be free on Sun morning for my long run of 18 miles. I knew I wouldn't get back home on Sun til later in the afternoon and it would be too late then to go out for 18 miles. In hindsight I should have gone out for a few miles at least.

Thurs 01/10/20 5km 32:19
    Splits: 6:45, 6:24, 6:33, 6:19, 6:15
    I had only set out to do about 3 or 4 km and ended up going for the 5. And I quite enjoyed my early morning run as the town was starting to wake up. I've just felt I've no time lately to get out running. Every evening there's something on. I felt guilty and worried about not getting my long run last weekend - I cannot afford to skip a long run at this stage, I might as well not bother with the marathon if that's the case. So new month, let's get on it. I decided to do just one fitness class a week instead of two. And try and get out for my long run on Saturday mornings to get it over and done with.

Sat 03/10/20 32.2km (20 miles) 4hr 10mins
    Av pace 7:47 mins /km
    I was so nervous yet excited about this run - it was make or break time for me. Got myself all organised the night before and started my run just after 6 am. I had a breakfast date with hubbie and son so I had a deadline to make! I broke my route in the sections, coming back to the car to top up water etc and there was a toilet at the 24 petrol station just in case. First 10km out and back were lovely and quiet, just dandering along. Next section was 12km, again it was lovely and easy. My 3rd section was on the greenway, lovely surface, few people out walking and jogging, felt surprisingly strong. Once I hit 27km I realised I'd 5km to go and it started to feel harder then physically and mentally but not impossible. Last section of my run was 2.5km around the parkrun route where I'd meet hubbie and son. Hubbie had a bottle of coca cola waiting for me! But I could hardly get going again. Part of the course is uphill and the legs couldn't power up it and I turned back. I decided I'd lap the pitch a couple of times, I just did half a lap as it was just too difficult to run on the grass and felt dejected. So I ended up running around the college car park which was much better! The last 500m I decided to put the boot down and gave it what I had left and ended up finishing on such a high.
    Very pleased with how that run went - sure only another 10km to add to that!!

Little walk the following evening to stretch out the legs. All felt good.

• Advertisement

Mon 05/10/20 10km 1hr 8mins
    Splits: 6:50, 6:55, 6:50, 7:18, 6:36, 7:18, 6:35, 7:23, 6:45, 6:00
    I had registered to do the VHI virtual mini marathon having been registered to take part in the actual race this year. Sorry to miss the physical race - it's such a good one to do - the crowd and atmosphere, it's a great day out. It started raining just as we set out. Not the most enjoyable running with the rain in your face for 2 or 3km before turning. By the time we got to 5km the rain had eased off. Just kept it ticking along nice and handy. For the last km I said I would push on, give the legs a good blast and see was there anything in them after my 20 miles on Saturday. It was great, felt lovely and strong.

Tues had my fitness class, one per week is more manageable.

Weds I had coaching. With the poor weather and Level 3 restrictions, not many kids turned up for outdoor training. It ended up with nearly 2 or 3 kids per coach. So we took it in turns to train the kids and the rest of the coaches joined in with the session rather than just standing in the rain. It was actually a nice bit of training!

Thurs 08/10/20 6km 46mins
    After a mental day at work I needed to get out for a run. I did the Weds night running group session of 3 x 10 mins at marathon pace with 3 mins recovery. It was kind of hard to hone in my marathon pace which I'm thinking will be about 7:45/km, but my splits were about 7:00-7:30 mins/km.

Fri eve went on an hour long walk with a friend for a catch up.

Sat 10/10/20 19.3km (12 miles) 2hr 23mins
    Av pace: 7:25mins /km
    Only 12 miles this weekend!! Ha! Never thought I'd hear myself say that! Kinda scary that the miles are winding down for the taper. Feels like I haven't done enough training to warrant a taper. Planned to do two sections of my planned marathon route. Some parts of those sections can be tricky physically and mentally so I wanted to tackle them today. Dragged the husband out for the first 6 or so miles for company. It really was helpful to have the company. Couple of little walking breaks but glad I was able to tackle any hills. Himself peeled off at the house and I set off for my second loop of 9 km. Stuck a podcast on and toddled along. Seemed to only walk for a short reprive when I was getting a gel sweet. Once I got back near the town with 3km to go it felt lovely and comfortable. Happy with my pace overall.

But now the worry for the marathon has started. Of that route I ran, I only realised after that 7km of it is in another county. It is out in the countryside and then a turn off in a quiet village. I'm thinking I may have to rejig the route so. Also I'm worrying a bit about running on my own. When I run with someone it's a good distraction. The running group are running their marathon on the Sunday but they are much faster than me and I would rather loop near home to be near the toilet and to get fresh water etc. I just worry I might lose motivation or my head might start winning out in the later stages.

Mon 12/10/20
    Got out for a good long walk while kiddo was training - 9km in 1.5 hours. Lovely evening for a walk.

Thurs 15/10/20 10km 1hr 05mins
    Splits: 6:18, 6:23, 7:18, 6:18, 6:28, 6:45, 6:21, 6:59, 6:18, 5:51
    Hubbie signed me up to the An Cosantoir 10km - €5 and a pretty decent long sleeve top.
    Himself had his run the day before and I kinda wanted to beat his time, bold I know! But I still had to take it handy enough and not race it. Started off grand but 2.5km out I realised I forgot my water and had to ring home for himself to drop it off for me. I was getting dark quickly and I had to alter my route a bit and ended up running up and down part of the greenway. One or two slower kms as I stopped to get water, take off my jacket, put it back on again! Last 2 kms were great, run back up the town, push a little at the end to beat hubbie's time, got him by about 45 sec!

Sat 17/10/20 5km 33:33
    Splits: 6:44, 6:49, 6:59, 6:56, 6:01
    I signed up the night before for the Great Pink run and decided to do that as my 5km. Keep the pace lovely and easy, enjoyable run. Picked up the pace gradually over the last km.

Sun 18/10/20 11.3km 1hr 15mins
    Splits: 6:27, 6:25, 6:25, 6:26, 6:20, 6:39, 6:47, 6:43, 7:03, 6:58, 6:57, 6:18 (0.3)
    The running group were having their last long run ahead of the virtual events next weekend. A 10 miler out and back. Suited me grand as it meant I could do a shorter run as my plan said 6-8 mile. I ran out with them to 5.5km, pace was quick for me naturally enough and when I turned and ran back on my own I brought the pace back. Got back to the car at 11km and ran on another bit as I knew that would round me up to 7 miles! Pretty happy with that run and nervous excitement for the following weekend.

However my left calf has been sore since. It was a little niggley during my run back in, but nothing sore or worrying and I had eased off my pace. I sometimes get a little tight calf, nothing that a quick stretch or easing of pace doesn't sort out. But it's been sore since, I've iced it and rested it. I'm not sure if it's this so called "tapering madness" but it has me a bit worried. I've never really been injured (touch wood) - this week is not the week for it! My runs the past week or so have been pretty good, I'm worrying I pushed myself too much and should have taken it easier. I'm under strict instructions from the hubbie to stay home and rest while kiddo is at training this evening.

Other than that I think I'm pretty set for my virtual marathon this Sat. I've my route plotted out and it happens to be all in my 5km radius bar approx 200m. Have my supplies. Have company sorted for much of it, hubbie for the first half, then some of the girls will run the last few km with me (C19 restrictions dependent). Just need to wash my running top and pray for decent weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Just catching up on your log now. Delighted to see you are running the marathon this weekend. You will do great!

Have a great run, enjoy every step. It really is a great achievement. Looking forward to reading your report.

Sat 24/10/20 42.2km DCM virtual marathon 5hr 38mins 16sec
    Splits: by 5kms
    1-5 38:18
    6-10 36:53
    11-15 39:10
    16-20 39:16
    half way 2hr 42 min
    21-25 42:16
    26-30 39:20
    31-35 42:20
    36-40 43:45
    Finish 5hr38

Didn't think I'd be writing a MARATHON race report!!

I kept the plans of running a marathon fairly quiet. I didn't want to put any pressure on myself. I didn't want people to have expectations of me. I also wasn't sure if I was actually going to do it! I just took each week as it came, each long run to see if I could do it. I missed 2 long runs from the plan and I stepped back from my running group long runs as I couldn't maintain the pace. So I just wanted to do a marathon, quietly, on my own, to see if I could actually do one! It's been a sh!t year all around and I wanted something positive to show for it I guess.

I mapped out a route locally. It was actually more or less all in my 5km radius. Broke it down into 4 different loops.

I set my start time as 08:30. Alarm at 7am, lazed about for a bit, it was nice to get ready at home although I was a bit too relaxed getting ready. But out the door and at my starting point on time at least. Set off and after 200m I realised what the hell I was doing!!

Loop A 10km
    My first loop was probably a harder one, that's why I wanted it over with first. Had hubbie for company. Bit of a stitch and calf cramp at 2km, stopped for a very brief stretch. At 3.5km there was a steep hill, followed by another climb. I wasn’t expecting to run up this so took the little walk while I could. The rest of this loop felt fine, I wasn’t looking at my pace but felt grand. Roads were quiet except for agri vehicles. A running buddy drove past with a beep of the horn which gave me a boost and a spike in my pace! A friend drove past shortly after. At the end of this loop, stopped briefly at the house where hubbie topped up his water and we were away again.

Loop B 11.2km
    Second loop, again one I’ve run a number of times before. First 2.5km were busy enough on the road but then turned off for a nice quiet country road. Enjoyed ticking along. At around 16km hubbie said he was starting to feel his limit. He had dropped from the full to the half even though he’d done little or no training for either. Told him he had 5km to go and I knew we were about 2.5km from the town and that once he got there he’d plough on. But when we got to about 1.5km from home he was getting unsteady on his feet. Distraction tactics about having tea and toast at home. When we got to our estate I was supposed to carry on myself and he as to do his last 500m on his own. But I stuck rigidly too him, he was unsteady. He finished his half marathon, I got him back to the house safely, quick toilet break and top up fuels and away I went on my own.

Loop C 14.3km
    A longer loop and on my own. It was made up of two routes I’ve run many times. It did feel a bit lonely on my own. I put on some music to distract me. At between 25 and 26km a neighbour and fellow runner (T) spotted me, stopped his car and ran a few metres with me, checking how I was doing, it was lovely. Carried on. When I got to 27km I thought – only 15km to go – 3 parkruns. Kept it going, very small walking breaks every so often. I wanted to get to 30km where I knew I’d be turned and heading for home for the last time. Legs were definitely feeling heavier and it was getting harder each time to get going after a walk. Delighted when I got to 32km – I had been counting down kms left all along and now I was into single digits, I was also into unknown territory as 20 miles had been my longest run. At 33km my husband pulled up the car – my tracker had stopped working around 28km and I hadn’t realised and he came to check I was ok. Ran up through the town for the third and last time, it was easier to shuffle a slow jog than to walk. About 1km from the house T from earlier popped up and joined me again. I was just what I needed, from town to the house is gradual uphill, I know it so well but I probably would have walked a lot of it had I been on my own. He got me to the house in no time.

Loop D 6.5km
    Quick stop off at home, toilet, mouthful of cola, I didn’t want to delay, I was getting close to the finish. Have to say, strange as it sounds, I was looking forward to this last bit! T offered to stay with me (even though he was running the 10km the following day) but we had arranged to meet with a couple of others from the running group for my final 4/5km so I told him I was fine to go on myself as I knew I was meeting them in a little bit. Great running down this road and that, ticking them off, getting nearer. Coming along the back roads and I could see the gang waiting for me, I started to feel a bit emotional. I didn’t delay, I just pointed in a direction and just keep going, I wanted to get this finished. I was so excited to see a few of the gang – even though they were running their own halfs and 10kms the following day – they came out to support me and it really helped. I had chosen the local cycleway for my finish, flat and scenic. I wanted a nice finish line, I felt finishing my first marathon at my front door was a bit of an anti-climax! We ran along, I enjoyed the bit of chat and catch up. Kept eyeing up the watch knowing I was getting closer, I couldn’t believe it! When 41km beeped I found myself picking up the pace and at 41.7km I just went for it, the rest dropped back and I just went – I had to.

Finish
    Couldn’t believe it when I was finished! Had I really just run a marathon?!! I was happy with the time, I was aiming to scrape under 5:30 and was on track for this up to 25km. I wasn't too far off in the end. The last 15km was tough going physically and mentally. Legs felt like jelly, I couldn’t stand still, I had to keep waddling about talking to people and hubbie had a glass of prosecco ready for me! Few socially distant pics and time for home, I was getting cold. Relaxing afternoon with hot mugs of tea, a soak in the bath with Epsom salts, a take away, a movie on Netflix and fluffy pjs. Only thing was that my claves and my back felt quite sore for the evening.

Next day
    Following morning I felt much better, restless and full of adrenalin though! I decided I would go and support my fellow running group members in their full, half and 10km. While they were running outside my 5km radius, I drove to a few different places along their route and parked at the side of the road and cheered them on. I loved seeing them all running and I now knew how they felt. Every little bit of support helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow well done, mega kudos to running a solo marathon! And fair dues to your other half too. That's a massive achievement for you both, enjoy it! Recover well x

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

That's a great race report to read! Delighted it went well for you, you are now a marathoner!! Huge well done, a tough feat on your own without the crowds to carry you along.

Well done to your hubby too on his Half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats AM, that's some achievement! I was convinced you'd already run a marathon, maybe two or three years ago....guess not :D Fair play to the hubby too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Congrats on your first marathon! Hope you’re recovering well :)

Thanks a mil for all your best wishes - still can't believe I'm a marathon runner, doesn't feel real. Maybe when the beanie hat and medal arrive it might feel more real.

Since then I've been mostly fine, which I wasn't expecting - I didn't think I'd be able to walk for a few days! Going down stairs was the only thing but by Tuesday that felt fine. My back has been a bit stiff now and again - it was a bit sore during the marathon and I've been curling up on the sofa a lot this past week which probably hasn't helped it, so I've been trying to sit up straighter and use a hot water bottle when I have to. Just feels like old age!!

In terms of movement, running etc I've not really been sure what I can and should do. Hubbie tells me a day a rest for every mile raced! I went out for a 5km run last Monday (5.4km in 36mins) with one of the girls from the running group for a debrief chat after the virtual running that weekend. Since then, weather permitted, I've been getting out for walks to get some fresh air. there's a plan gone up on the running whatsapp group for Nov but it's not grabbing me, I'm thinking it might be a bit too much too soon for me. So I came across Hal Higdon's post marathon novice plan and it sounds like what I need to take me to the end of the year, few little runs to keep me ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sorry late to the party but big huge congratulations on running your 1st marathon! I hope you are so proud:)

• Advertisement

My poor log has been neglected since the marathon :(
    I'll see with the help of strava if I can piece it together somewhat....

26 Oct - 01 Nov
    5km ran on the Mon after vDCM in 35 mins. Had met up with one of the girls for a catch up after the running events at the weekend.
    Rest of he week got out for walks.

02 Nov - 08 Nov
    Downloaded Hal Higdon's post marathon plan app. I felt I needed a little steer i=with my running.
    Got out for 3 runs: 3km in 19mins, 5km in 34mins and 7km in 52mins.
    Happy enough to get out although the HH plan was saying I was running my runs too fast.

09 Nov - 15 Nov
    Think I got fed up of being given out to by HH's app! I got plenty of walking done though.

16 Nov - 22 Nov
    One weekday run of 3.5km in 24mins.
    The look of a nice tshirt swayed me to register for the Gingerbread virtual. Didn't race it - just ran it steady on the Sunday 10km in 1hr 9mins. I think my longest run since the marathon. I decided I'd register for the Great Limerick Run - the running group were aiming to do the 10 mile together (subject to restrictions) on Christmas Eve so I figured I would up my long runs by a mile a week to build it up.

23 Nov - 29 Nov
    Sat 7 miles 1hr 19 mins. Nothing else to do while the car is being serviced so I went for a run. Actually quite enjoyed this, ran roads I hadn't run before, as they say "a change is as good as a rest". Féck all running or walking done during the week but been up to my eyes in work.

Will try update some more tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I missed the part where you ran a solo Marathon!

Brilliant stuff.

Now imagine having thousands of people cheering you on over the 42k, thousands of runners with you - the home straight being packed with people cheering and waving.
    I'm sure we'll see those days again - and I'm sure you can also get well under 5 hours with it!!

Now imagine having thousands of people cheering you on over the 42k, thousands of runners with you - the home straight being packed with people cheering and waving.

Goose bumps!

It's definitely something every marathon runner (you are one of that breed now ;)) should experience!

Hello Log, it's me - Sunny Dayz

You've been quite neglected and I'm sorry!!

Let's try and do a brief synopsis of the past year....

The rolling lockdowns at the start of 2021 really wiped me out mentally. Difficult to get motivated when no events to train for, no group runs etc. Registered for NYC virtual half for the end of March for a bit of motivation but I really didn't enjoy getting out for runs. Felt I'd taken a massive step back after having a good running year in 2020. Really just felt like I'd lost my steam. Having gotten right up to 12 miles in mid March I just packed it in, I wasn't enjoying it. April I tried to get out for shorter distances when the notion took me, no pressure. May I was just snowed under with work and hanging on by a thread really.

Took some time away from everything in June as I was on the verge of burnout and tried to get out in the fresh air as much as I could, bit of walking, bit of jogging. It was starting to feel good again. I went back to group training and for me it was really about just showing up and doing the session. Felt almost like I was starting from scratch again. But I made the effort to show up every chance I could.

I joined a health and fitness group in August and this was more focused on better eating habits, resistance and weights, and mindset. In Sept I started to notice the benefits of this coupled with regular running. Some of the running girls were marathon training so I joined them for part of their long runs and I found myself enjoying this as there was no pressure on me.

Now we are in December. I've lost over 1.5 stone. I have new 5km and 10km times being sub 29 mins (28:55) for the 5km and 60:35 for the 10km. My running has taken a back seat this past month as my running group training stopped and I was busy with work. Now I'm finding as we get into the depths of winter that I'm going to have to dig in really deep to get myself out the door this winter and figure out if I should join an athletics club come the new year...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Welcome back. Just caught up there with last year’s marathon - really enjoyed the read. Well done.

As you mention, I think running with others is the key really. Makes such a difference to have someone to share the experiences with. Joining a club is a great idea too, as long as it has the right kind of groups for you to run/train with.

Good luck!

That's an incredible weight loss and sounds like it was achieved in a healthy sustainable way too which is great! Well done on the PB times too, it's brilliant to see them coming down, really motivational. Routine helps me this time of year. I have a routine and I mostly stick it. Unless the weather is going to make running dangerous (which in fairness is fairly rare) then I just stick to the routine. Have decent gear helps a bit too though there isn't much that will keep the rain out but at least having warm base layers for the cold days.

Best of luck.

6 -12 Dec

Mon: 1 hour workout that morn and a 5 mile walk later that afternoon

Tues: quick walk around the block before storm barra arrived.

Weds: no electricity so couldn't do my morning workout. Went for a 4km run after athletics coaching and quite enjoyed it.

Thurs: Went to a group fitness class, fairly pushed myself but enjoyed it.

Fri: morning online fitness class, struggled with this one, legs were fairly tired.

Sat: 1.25km warm up before parkrun. parkrun done in 29:20. It's still unexpected to be getting sub 30, i did feel like I was struggling from about half way until that last 500m.

Sun: 6km walk. Had hoped to get out for a run but just no energy for one. Needed a walk for some fresh air.

I think if you're struggling from half-way then you are doing it right! Assuming you're going for a time and not just jogging it. Well done. Great to be running sub 30 regularly now, it's a great buzz to break through a milestone time like that for the first time but to get to the stage where it's a regular occurrence is really sweet 😊

13 - 19 Dec

Mon - morning workout, little 2km walk around the estate to get the steps up a bit and clear the head.

Tues - lovely easy 5km with the husband in 36 mins. It's great that a pace like that really does feel easy, once upon a time that was a fair run for me!

Weds - morning workout, last evening training the kids athletics for the year, really good fun.

Thurs - met with a friend for a walk, lovely to have a catch up. She commented how my walking pace has gotten quicker!

Fri - morning workout

Sat - was time-keeper at parkrun. really enjoyed cheering them all over the line.

Interval run on greenway - 1km warm up, 3 x 1km with 200m recovery, 1.5km cool down. 1km splits: 5:08, 5:04, 4:55. I'm hoping to do a 3km race over the festive period. The last time I did this race I think I got around 16:12. Got a notion into my head to get around 16mins. So I worked out that I should be aiming for 5:15/5:20 min kms. So that's what this interval session was about, to see if I had a snowball's chance! Was quite pleased and a bit surprised with this run, plus my fastest ever km at 4:55!!

Out for a walk on Sat eve with another friend for a catch up - that seems to be the height of my social life these days, meeting someone for a walk or run!

Sun - an hour long walk to get some air and stretch out the legs.

• Advertisement

My poor neglected log!!

Well Santy came and brought us all covid for christmas! Tried to stay as active as I could - I live on the outskirts of town so I went out quieter roads and either early morning / night time so as to avoid meeting people. Bit of covid fatigue for a couple of weeks after.

Mid Jan I started running properly again, meeting with a few to run Sunday morn long run, back to parkrun and then maybe a run during the week.

End of Jan I joined an athletics club. Since then it's been great to have that set time twice a week for training and I definitely feel I've come on since then. The only negative is that it's on a running track, so there's not much change in scenery or hill work.

Ran Raheny 5 mile at the end of Jan - my 8.5km (!!) came up at 48:15 so I think I was able to work it back at approx 45:35 for the 5 mile which I was ultimately delighted with (previous pb was I think about 48 mins). But was disappointed initially when finishing the race - I felt I'd been working hard at my running, fitness and health since last summer and here was an event I'd done previously to be a good benchmark and I felt I couldn't gauge the improvement properly. But I felt strong and felt I ran it well.

Have kind of settled into a running routine - training twice a week, parkrun Sat and long run Sunday. 3 online fitness classes a week too. Just keep ticking along, building up the miles.

Had a 5km race recently which I was quietly nervous and excited about. I wanted a good measure of where I was time wise and pace wise - my local parkrun is great training but not a 5km pb route. I wasn't even sure what I should be aiming for - my fastest 5km has been around 29:20 I think and I'd 2 parkruns done in just under 29mins - so I aimed for under 28mins, would love under 27mins but realistically around 27:30. Ended up with 26:12!! Couldn't believe it!! Splits: 5:26, 5:32, 5:10, 5:08, 4:50. I'm a divil for going out too fast so I'd my watch set to show average pace and used that as a guide. Happy with first 2 km, felt comfortable and strong, was a little worried I'd blow up in the second half. 3rd km had a little climb and I just sailed up it, passing so many people, legs were so strong. Then onto my 4th km - usually my worst km in a 5km - but honestly I was picking runners off one by one! Last km I think I did go a little early, was struggling for breath and legs felt like jelly, but found a little extra kick when the finish was in sight. I won't lie I was trying to hold back the tears after.

I've just found over the last couple of months a love and enjoyment for running again. I feel comfortable now when I'm running whereas before I felt weaker physically and mentally.

Parkrun again last weekend and a different one to my usual so I was interested to see if my race was just a fluke. Came in at 27:08 and really enjoyed it!

Time for new runners!

Advertisement