Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a good amount to save annually?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

A Brazilian dollars !!!

Too soon ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Save as much as you can ,you will need it , when you get ill, get married ,or need a deposit for a house.
    Have enough in your current account to go out,go on holidays .
    have a normal healthy life .
    5-10k is handy if for some reason you lose your job ,
    to keep you going while you look for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep coppers in a jar by the door, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

I think it depends on on your outgoing payments.
    Personally, I regard my mortgage as a sort of savings & there is no way I would be able to commit to x% every month.

If you can resist temptation, spending what you have left over can work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

before i had a house i was living at home and saying about 30-35% it turns out.

now its coppers in a jar, the odd fiver if i remember,
    i'm paid well but jesus begin an adult is expensive.

even the basics like:

car insurance, tax, nct
    health insurance, life insurance
    mortgage
    property tax
    bills: electricity, gas etc
    bins maintenance etc

im sure im forgetting stuff but thats the basics i think. its tought to save after all that and when i do get a chunk saved, its just before something big health insurance lets say.

and that not counting, professional membership, nct if you have an older car, fuel, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Savings an awful boring thing to be at. I save the odd time for a month or 3 at a time but that's only to have a blowout at the end of it by going on holidays or a week at the races etc. I dont get this carry on of worrying about rainy days. Of course if you've a family it's a different story but when you're single why worry about things like that you'll always manage to get by or at least I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

before i had a house i was living at home and saying about 30-35% it turns out.

now its coppers in a jar, the odd fiver if i remember,
    i'm paid well but jesus begin an adult is expensive.

even the basics like:

car insurance, tax, nct
    health insurance, life insurance
    mortgage
    property tax
    bills: electricity, gas etc
    bins maintenance etc

im sure im forgetting stuff but thats the basics i think. its tought to save after all that and when i do get a chunk saved, its just before something big health insurance lets say.

and that not counting, professional membership, nct if you have an older car, fuel, etc etc.

Yea it definitively is tough, my rental payments are higher than the average mortgage for where I live. I'd buy only I cannot afford to save the deposit at present, as I'm single, this is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Although I don't have maintenance fees, I have the following:

Rent
    Car loan
    Car insurance
    Car tax
    Car maintenance
    Fuel
    Health insurance
    Pension
    Phone bill
    Broadband
    Electricity