Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a good amount to save annually?

Options
  • 17-08-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I know everyone's situation is different but what's a decent amount for you to save personally every year? You know since the 'boom' is back and all ;)

Can't seem to create a poll via mobile but it might be worth throwing one up mods

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

8% of your after tax salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

People from burning buildings? I'd argue that a firefighter would be unfairly weighted in the ensuing poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Whatever is left after your salary is raped and you have scratched out an existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I dunno, about 40 quid or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I dunno, about 40 quid or so?

Oh-la-de-da,

Someone here has notions about themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

A part of all you earn is yours to keep.

10%, and it never get's spent.

You'll learn to 'cut your cloth' so to speak on the remaining 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I generallly work out what I can afford to save after bills/expenses that month. Had a very expensive few months, so haven't put anything away in a while. Will start again this payday. Generally 400-500 in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Depends on what you earn. Anything from 10% of your net income or greater. I save 30% of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

you can't take it with you

you can't take it with you

No, but it's nice to have rainy day money.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    No, but it's nice to have rainy day money.

The problem is that it rains most days.

It's strange, but while 150 euro a week seems like a lot to me to save per week, the 7,800 saved up after a whole year of such saving doesn't seem like *that* much!

The problem is that it rains most days.

Not in my world. :)

Not in my world. :)

Nor in mine, fortunately. But for many, many people saving in excess of 10% is not going to be an option.

Nor in mine, fortunately. But for many, many people saving in excess of 10% is not going to be an option.

Who cares? I sure don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

They say you should have six months expenses in a rainy day account. I think that is madness to be honest.

Who cares? I sure don't.

Nor do I, but many people will care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I'm on a very decent salary but I'm paying exorbitant rent, have a car loan, the usual standard bills but no debts other than my car loan and I cannot save 10% of my salary.

I'm not complaining but that's the realities of being a young professional in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

8% of your after tax salary.

One months wages? Not at all. Double that at least.

I haven't a clue. I save little bits here and there if I have something coming up. My house is in good repair, my car is 13 yrs old but it gets me around, I am delightfully debt free. If the rainy day comes I will adopt my usual attitude of "be grand".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

My son manages to save about 85% each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Depends on circumstances really, I'd save 700 a month at the least. I consider it like bills and don't count it as discretionary income. I save about 1200 a month though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

and here i am making 1400/month :o think i need a better paying job haha! can barely save 400 a month !

CorkColin wrote: »
    and here i am making 1400/month :o think i need a better paying job haha! can barely save 400 a month !

Be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

Be grand :)

tousche! no intention of leaving this work haha love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think you should save at least 10 -20 per cent at least of your salary ,if you afford it .
    Also you should have a pension.
    you could have a health crisis or lose your job,
    you,ll need some savings in case of an emergency.
    Or you might want to buy a house or an apartment .
    Your company could move elsewhere or go out of business .
    i know someone who saved 30 per cent per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I repay a mortgage, which is a form of saving.

I also make substantial pension conts, up to 16-17% of gross salary.

I support four people on one income.

After that, I save 15-20% of my net salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I think when saving the best approach is work out how much you can realistically afford to put aside into savings, and then remove that amount immediately when you get paid.

"I save what I have left over" may be fine if you're living modestly, but makes it very easy to be left with either no or meagre savings at the end of pay term, your week, fortnight, month, whatever.

Between pension payment and savings I put away about 32% of my income, (with the savings being 18% and pension being 14%)

If I do have any 'leftovers', I do try save that too, or invest in P2P.

As this is a relatively recent thing (15mths or so) due to pay rises etc, I don't have much of a pot but it gets fed frequently and is steadily growing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

40% of my net income goes to savings automatically every fortnight. I am overpaid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jaysus sure we're all minted.

Advertisement