Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvic axes advert with slogan 'orange and proud' over fears it could offend Catholic

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

It reminds me of the time that fire kindling company launched their "it's time to burn all the ******s" campaign.

I believe they got into a spot of bother with the gay rights crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'll be he honest. first time I looked at the thing I didnt Protestant. Thought it was some "it's cool to be Ginger" promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I know. You can't criticise anything without being labelled PC/SJW/'outraged'. AH in particular is riddled with this mind-set. It purports to support free speech but in reality just shuts down or ridicules any dissenting opinions

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The man from Del Monte says Yes

Ulster says No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm very surprised that this ad campaign from Volvic will offend Catholics. I'm an Irish Catholic & it does not offend me because of what Volvic said about problems in the North.

The PC brigade strikes again with their overzealous bullsh1t. Well done to them all. Utter gobsh1tes. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, they've only removed the advertisement from the one place that it might be shooting themselves in the foot and lose potential customers. The advert has not been "axed", it has merely been strategically targetted.

It makes sense that you wouldn't use an "Orange and Proud" slogan across the North in the same way that you wouldn't release a product called a "Twin Tower" in the States.

You don't risk offending huge chunks of your target market because that's just dumb.

Two places actually, Ireland and Scotland.

I'm offended at the thought of people being offended at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭FreshTendrils

Yeah it's stupid but the other side's aversion to all things green can extend to changing the local Subway logo from green to blue or burning the grass and trees,smashing in the green traffic lights etc...

I'm very surprised that this ad campaign from Volvic will offend Catholics. I'm an Irish Catholic & it does not offend me because of what Volvic said about problems in the North.

The PC brigade strikes again with their overzealous bullsh1t. Well done to them all. Utter gobsh1tes. :rolleyes:

Ummmm, are you from Dublin and born in 1990?

If a 60 year old from the Falls Road had a different take on the phrase, would you allow him that or would he be one of those "overzealous PC gobsh1tes"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

The unionist politician who said Asda has a green logo and they don't complain - legend. I love people who think crap comparisons and analogies are clever. :pac:

Advertisement