Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvic axes advert with slogan 'orange and proud' over fears it could offend Catholic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

When i seen the advert, this was the last thing that would have come to mind. Why would this offend anyone, its an advert trying to promote a company's product. Are we not aloud to use certain words now a days. Cant say black with out people been offended. Could this be orange is the new black.... not the show btw

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/drinks-firm-axes-advert-with-slogan-orange-and-proud-over-fears-it-could-offend-catholics-34972347.html

Seems some people just have an absolute need to find offence even where none exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

That's why I don't drink orange juice and only green tea, it keeps my nationlist blood pumping...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Catholic? Just the one?

Let them have lemons if they are so BIT-TER.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fear of offending somebody now is the first thought before anybody opens their mouth or prints anything? FFS the place has gone too soft/PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

These interminable, highly public withdrawals of 'potentially offensive' adverts or other media actually work very well as an extended marketing strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

PC gone mad say the Orangemen, absolutely ridiculous they say.

Watch them change their tune if somebody tells them Volvic couldn't be any more Catholic if it was sourced in the Pope's cistern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

razorblunt wrote: »
    Catholic? Just the one?
    ran out of character in heading, but there should be an 's'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

That's very cheeky of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Orange is the new black

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, they've only removed the advertisement from the one place that it might be shooting themselves in the foot and lose potential customers. The advert has not been "axed", it has merely been strategically targetted.

It makes sense that you wouldn't use an "Orange and Proud" slogan across the North in the same way that you wouldn't release a product called a "Twin Tower" in the States.

You don't risk offending huge chunks of your target market because that's just dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

The man from del monte says no surrender to pc ****

Is everything that's done in the name of being sensible met with a "I hate this PC crap"?

I can see why Orange and Proud might ruffle some feathers in the North, and why a company may decide not to run with it there. It's kinda common sense to me. Not another concession to this apparent PC army that we all seem intent on waging war against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, they've only removed the advertisement from the one place that it might be shooting themselves in the foot and lose potential customers. The advert has not been "axed", it has merely been strategically targetted.

It makes sense that you wouldn't use an "Orange and Proud" slogan across the North in the same way that you wouldn't release a product called a "Twin Tower" in the States.

You don't risk offending huge chunks of your target market because that's just dumb.

Seamus as always speaks sense.

This is the North we're talking about, where the "orange" order is a pretty contentious and divisive organisation.

Why would they run with an advertisement, with a slogan that could potentially alienate +/- 50% of their targeted market?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not another concession to this apparent PC army that we all seem intent on waging war against.
    Indeed it seems like the easiest people to offend these days are the ones who complain about how the "Generation Snowflake PC Brigade" are so easily offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

don't remember any hassle with the advert slogan "the future's bright the future's Orange"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    don't remember any hassle with the advert slogan "the future's bright the future's Orange"

But there was...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-futures-not-so-bright-as-orange-gets-the-red-light-in-ulster-1328424.html

Acc to a few references, like the one below, they decided to drop it altogether. Maybe that's why there was no hassle?

http://glantz.net/blog/campaigns-that-failed-to-translate

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Also adding a lime flavour with the slogan Green & Proud would have would have been a better choice than getting rid of Orange & Proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Also adding a lime flavour with the slogan Green & Proud would have would have been a better choice than getting rid of Orange & Proud.

The orange lads would be green with envy if that campaign took off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

But there was...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-futures-not-so-bright-as-orange-gets-the-red-light-in-ulster-1328424.html

Acc to a few references, like the one below, they decided to drop it altogether. Maybe that's why there was no hassle?

http://glantz.net/blog/campaigns-that-failed-to-translate

well there you go, I do remember a Nordie guy at a xmas party way back and he mentioned the slogan alright , I retorted that the hotel he was in was on Fenian st. :pac: , it was all good fun though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Ah, I see Atlantic Dawn's going for the "inclusive" dollar with this line of thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Volvic is owned by the French multinational food company, Danone, which also produces Evian mineral water.
    It's incredible that they produce such contrasting products. You can really taste the difference between them. The hint of volcano really gives Volvic a kick.

Not really. What I find most offensive is overpriced bottles of water that taste the same as what I would get from my tap.

The less posters advertising crap the better in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

thing is, the ad wasn't created to offend anyone, just simply advertise their product. Its the people that take it wrong that cause situations like this and i think is a bit over the top.

It wouldn't offend me but the first thing to come to mind reading the slogan is some orange man in the north saying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

It wouldn't offend me but the first thing to come to mind reading the slogan is some orange man in the north saying it.

It would be like colgate introducing a new whitening formula toothpaste with the slogan "white power and proud" in Mississippi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

When i seen the advert, this was the last thing that would have come to mind. Why would this offend anyone, its an advert trying to promote a company's product. Are we not aloud to use certain words now a days. Cant say black with out people been offended. Could this be orange is the new black.... not the show btw

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/drinks-firm-axes-advert-with-slogan-orange-and-proud-over-fears-it-could-offend-catholics-34972347.html
    I don't think people are offended by use of the term black? Black people themselves use it.

Despite it being just in relation to the North, I still think this is an over-reaction, not considering intent, the usual (why do people concerned about conflict have to imbue innocuous things with conflict when they're the ones who are against conflict?) But I guess if there is a sufficient backlash they would have to withdraw the ad.

Was there any backlash though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The difference here is that nobody actually got offended. The only people mouthing off are Unionist politicians.

Compare and contrast if you will the Unionist/Loyalist reaction to:

A car: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/unionists-hit-out-at-kia-provo-name-29111206.html

St Patricks day cards: http://www.colerainetimes.co.uk/news/coleraine-news/asda-remove-st-patrick-s-day-product-1-3591564

A manhole cover: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/irish-words-on-ballymenas-manhole-covers-sparks-unionists-demand-for-their-removal-34519140.html

The hypocrisy they exude is truly astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

keano_afc wrote: »
    The difference here is that nobody actually got offended. The only people mouthing off are Unionist politicians.

Compare and contrast if you will the Unionist/Loyalist reaction to:

A car: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/unionists-hit-out-at-kia-provo-name-29111206.html

St Patricks day cards: http://www.colerainetimes.co.uk/news/coleraine-news/asda-remove-st-patrick-s-day-product-1-3591564

The hypocrisy they exude is truly astounding.
    Haha, hardcore loyalists in "being the most precious of all" shocker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Don't tell me the MOPE complained about it? They should hold a protest.

Is everything that's done in the name of being sensible met with a "I hate this PC crap"?

I can see why Orange and Proud might ruffle some feathers in the North, and why a company may decide not to run with it there. It's kinda common sense to me. Not another concession to this apparent PC army that we all seem intent on waging war against.

I know. You can't criticise anything without being labelled PC/SJW/'outraged'. AH in particular is riddled with this mind-set. It purports to support free speech but in reality just shuts down or ridicules any dissenting opinions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Well it seems to have annoyed Jim Allister so im OK with it being removed.

Advertisement