Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on cigarette vending machines

Options
  • 16-08-2016 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Last week Minister for Health Simon Harris confirmed that legislation is being drawn up to ban cigarette vending machines as part of the strategy to make Ireland tobacco free by 2025.

There are 6,000 cigarette machines in pubs, nightclubs and hotels around the country.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0816/809566-cigarette-vending-machines/

Well is this a step to far and what about the proposal to have Ireland tobacco free By 2025.

What yis think AH ?

I don't know myself, I a non smoker, but it seems a bit harsh ? and sure will the huge black market in cigarette smuggling not just fill the void ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Let people be adults. No harm for a vending machine for smokes in a venue that's 18+ serving beverages that can also cause health problems.

Ridiculous idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

What about people like me who only smoke when pissed ?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm a non-smoker and absolutely detest it, but this seems over-the-top.

People are going smoke, stuff like this just encourages the black market.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I heard an interview today from your man in "tobacco land".

They're lifting €1.5m each and every week from Irish pubs and nightclubs, from 6000 vending machines.
    Walsh said that his company sells €1.5 million worth of cigarettes every week and 140 million cigarettes every year.

I'm in the wrong bloody industry. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Why don't they just line up the people that smoke and shoot them? That be cheaper surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't smoke and wouldn't really like smoking but I wouldn't agree with this!
    Somebody will probably come up with some good idea to get around the ban!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

both these plans are nonsense and must be circumvented.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Let people be adults. No harm for a vending machine for smokes in a venue that's 18+ serving beverages that can also cause health problems.

Ridiculous idea.

By all means, and the same people can be adults when it comes to paying the hospital bill too ;)

I'm not a big fan of nanny state policies, but this is a good move forward.

it's hilarious in a sad way. Suggest anything for smokers and it gets shot down... but ban vending machines for cigs and suddenly its a tragedy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So they will just sell them behind the bar then.. No biggy.

• Advertisement

By all means, and the same people can be adults when it comes to paying the hospital bill too ;)

I'm not a big fan of nanny state policies, but this is a good move forward.

Care to prove that smokers don't pay their own hospital bills?

Considering all that extra tax that we pay until we get sick (and getting sick from smoking isn't a guarantee).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

More stupid nanny state bollocks.

This is why so many people in this country have no respect for the law, because they keep implementing stupid laws for no good reason other than to be seen to be doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I don't smoke but treating those who do like children is ridiculous. Everyone knows the hazards of smoking so let people make their own choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Cigs should now be classified as Class A drugs.

Why they are still legal to be sold is beyond me. It's not as if a massive Black Market doesn't exist out there now does it?

The lengths the Department of Health is going to, to stop smoking should be done in one fell swoop and ban them and make them illegal.

But no...... wait, there is excise money in there for us remember!!

Such feckkin double standards. And I don't smoke either, but honestly smokers are the pariahs now, along with sugar addicts.

The only two cohorts that can be criticized openly due to political correctness about everything else.

BAN THEM AND BE BRAVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Why do vending machines only serve things that are bad for us anyway, like cigarettes, crap processed cappuccinos, crisps etc. Nothing useful or healthy.

For a start I'd like to see nightclubs have ones where you could buy blow up dolls and bicycle pumps. I'd pay top dollar some nights for an 'emergency woman'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They're lifting €1.5m each and every week from Irish pubs and nightclubs, from 6000 vending machines.
    Is that before or after tax? If it's before tax is taken out that's only a couple of dozen boxes.
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Why don't they just line up the people that smoke and shoot them? That be cheaper surely?
    You're logic is flawed, bullets cost money, then you have to get the cleaner in afterwards. Costs mount up.
    I don't smoke and wouldn't really like smoking but I wouldn't agree with this!
    Somebody will probably come up with some good idea to get around the ban!
    They have, the black market.

Cigs should now be classified as Class A drugs.

Why they are still legal to be sold is beyond me. It's not as if a massive Black Market doesn't exist out there now does it?

The lengths the Department of Health is going to, to stop smoking should be done in one fell swoop and ban them and make them illegal.

But no...... wait, there is excise money in there for us remember!!

Such feckkin double standards. And I don't smoke either, but honestly smokers are the pariahs now, along with sugar addicts.

The only two cohorts that can be criticized openly due to political correctness about everything else.

BAN THEM AND BE BRAVE.

There is a large black market and banning them would make it worse. Prohibition has never worked in any form. Alcohol was banned in the US and it let to the establishment of large scale criminal cartels. Drugs were banned world wide and it was the single worst world wide decision ever leading to millions of deaths and criminal organisations more powerful than most countries.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is that before or after tax? If it's before tax is taken out that's only a couple of dozen boxes.

You're logic is flawed, bullets cost money, then you have to get the cleaner in afterwards. Costs mount up.

They have, the black market.

The health service would fall apart if you shot all the smokers. Not because of the loss in tax revenue but because most of the doctors would be dead.

Jayop wrote: »
    There is a large black market and banning them would make it worse. Prohibition has never worked in any form. Alcohol was banned in the US and it let to the establishment of large scale criminal cartels. Drugs were banned world wide and it was the single worst world wide decision ever leading to millions of deaths and criminal organisations more powerful than most countries.

I agree with you, and my previous post was more in anger than logic!

So the deal is that in a few years time NO ONE will be smoking in this country because of plain packaging, cigs behind barriers, and no vending machines.

Right.

I suppose in time those leaving school today may not smoke though. Too expensive. A joint or an E is probably much cheaper. But then again, they are banned and illegal aren't they? And they are good for you I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So the Irish State with its very deep solvent pockets is going to take on the world's tobacco companies in 2024?

The civil servants who dream up this bullsh1t should be held personally liable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Care to prove that smokers don't pay their own hospital bills?

Considering all that extra tax that we pay until we get sick (and getting sick from smoking isn't a guarantee).

Firstly, you're dillusional if you think an average Irish person pays a lot of tax. Secondly, that tax is spent on a lot of different areas, healthcare being just one.

Plenty of people on medical cards and private insurance that don't pay their own bills. There shouldn't be an issue increasing premiums for smokers or other groups at high risk due to their own decisions.

Have a read of this; http://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/An-assessment-of-the-economic-cost-of-smoking-in-Ireland.pdf

Jayop wrote: »
    There is a large black market and banning them would make it worse.

Not really. I've been smoking 25 years. The high from smoking is tiny. It's the addiction that keeps smokers smoking and the allure of something forbidden that attracts new people. Banning smoking completely would work because the people willing to buy from dealers, would simply start with something else like grass instead.

The problem is that you don't understand smokers. You don't understand our addiction. So you compare it to other drugs. If cigs were banned completely, (and ban all these nicotine patch/gum crap) then most smokers would get past their cold turkey, because of the inconvenience of buying blackmarket (besides the risk of jail time, which would account for the rest of us stopping smoking)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Firstly, you're dillusional if you think an average Irish person pays a lot of tax.

He didn't say they did?

Firstly, you're dillusional if you think an average Irish person pays a lot of tax. Secondly, that tax is spent on a lot of different areas, healthcare being just one.

Plenty of people on medical cards and private insurance that don't pay their own bills. There shouldn't be an issue increasing premiums for smokers or other groups at high risk due to their own decisions.

Have a read of this; http://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/An-assessment-of-the-economic-cost-of-smoking-in-Ireland.pdf

Smokers do already pay more for health and life insurance?? :confused:
    Not really. I've been smoking 25 years. The high from smoking is tiny. It's the addiction that keeps smokers smoking and the allure of something forbidden that attracts new people. Banning smoking completely would work because the people willing to buy from dealers, would simply start with something else like grass instead.

The problem is that you don't understand smokers. You don't understand our addiction. So you compare it to other drugs. If cigs were banned completely, (and ban all these nicotine patch/gum crap) then most smokers would get past their cold turkey, because of the inconvenience of buying blackmarket (besides the risk of jail time, which would account for the rest of us stopping smoking)

I'm a smoker of 20 years too so I'd say I have a fair enough insight into the mind of a smoker. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Pub owners will be doing there nut over this as they'll have to stock fags now. Very easy to tie up 10k in stock for cigarettes for peanuts in profit. Cue more break ins to pubs and more staff taking freebies.

enricoh wrote: »
    Pub owners will be doing there nut over this as they'll have to stock fags now. Very easy to tie up 10k in stock for cigarettes for peanuts in profit. Cue more break ins to pubs and more staff taking freebies.

Benson and Silk Cut smokers rejoice, they are the only ones who will be able to buy their favoured brand in the pub from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Such a common thing to see at a bus stop these days - a mother inching her young child away from that dirty person standing near the bin and tucking into their second Aero of the day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Robert_Paulson

Don't be silly now, everybody knows smoking is far more dangerous than drinking. I don't know whether this ban will achieve anything, but you can't just compare smoking to drinking and say "durr they both cause health problems" because medical science is never that simplistic, is it?

Furthermore, alcohol is mentally addictive, smoking is physically addictive, it's a lot easier to get addicted to cigarettes than it is alcohol.

briany wrote: »
    Such a common thing to see at a bus stop these days - a mother inching her young child away from that dirty person standing near the bin and tucking into their second Aero of the day. :pac:

Now now, we are not allowed to criticise children, no matter what they do, did you not get the memo?

Parents are a different matter though.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,426 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Legalise all drugs or ban smoking...

Advertisement