Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

day (afternoon) out in Sligo ...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

T-Bird wrote: »
    Bit OT but went to Ballina last weekend for a change. Parking half the price and plenty of car parks to choose from. Almost every shop open and very few of them cafes or coffee shops. The Penneys store is twice the size of Sligo and there is actually a far worse Tesco there than our own Sligo one.

It's been about 10 years or more since I was last down there and that's mainly due to the road. But I'd rather go there than spend my money in our own town in afraid to say.

SCC has gotten so many things wrong and its terrible the way they have let things go.

ah yeah i like ballina too - and theres a supermacs there in the town centre right accessible (not like the sligo one) - the car park I use there when i do go there is through a barrier and im sure its less than 1.20 to park if im correct and ive never had any trouble parking ... seems to be quite a few tinker kids and young (teenage) mothers roaming around ballina TC (especially around/inside supermacs) most times but they dont seem to cause any bother that ive seen . some good shops there, the big penney's as you say , a fair enough Dunnes all in reachable walking distance, and the greasy spoon cafe at the traffic lights do a decent cheap cup of tea/coffee and bite to eat.

Geuze wrote: »
    No, they don't.

Free market, car park company can charge what they like, same goes for every shop selling every item, more or less.

but if they can charge what they like and its damaging for the town and people go shop somewhere else because of cheaper parking (and better shops/selection of shops) that's counterproductive inst it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

but if they can charge what they like and its damaging for the town and people go shop somewhere else because of cheaper parking (and better shops/selection of shops) that's counterproductive inst it?

If their price is too high, and as a result not many people pay to park, it won't be long until they realise that, and bring the price back down.

As long as there's plenty of competition, then the price is correct.

Now, if they were a monopoly, or a cartel, then the price may be too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Would people drive 65km approx each way to Ballina, just to save a euro or two on parking?

If they travel for that reason alone, then by definition they are being irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭charman

Andyfromsligo free parking at my house...2 mins from town...polite conversation etc..cuppa tea...I cannot understand people who go for beverage and morsel as soon as they go to town !!!!

• Advertisement

TOT we were talking about Sligo

Geuze wrote: »
    Would people drive 65km approx each way to Ballina, just to save a euro or two on parking?

If they travel for that reason alone, then by definition they are being irrational.

no i wouldnt personally , not on the parking charges kind of thing.... but you have to look at the whole package as I said before Ballina has some pretty decent shops and somewhere to eat, there is even a sort of nice pedestrianised bit there as you walk down to heatons/penney's way - (driving/fuel cost aside) I just wonder if I would go to Ballina for the afternoon if I would have spent the same 15euro just on parking and getting a bite to eat

charman wrote: »
    Andyfromsligo free parking at my house...2 mins from town...polite conversation etc..cuppa tea...I cannot understand people who go for beverage and morsel as soon as they go to town !!!!

thanks for the offer - see there are still nice people in this world .....any biscuits? :D

.byob..bring ur own biscuits!

Advertisement