Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

day (afternoon) out in Sligo ...

• 15-08-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

I went into Sligo today and got relieved of 15 quid! - didnt buy anything per se ... all I did was park in quayside SC , got a bite to eat and drink out of O'Hehirs cafe... there you go 15 quid swallowed as quick as that, nothing really to show for me 15 quid apart from an empty looking wallet , I only had 20 quid in me wallett to start of with - now just a little measly sorry looking fiver now in my wallet - nice sunny day though that was something I suppose.

Thinking of becoming a hermit and not leaving the home any more - be cheaper I tell thee, and at least i be able to keep some money in me wallet ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Duggie2012

so you parked your car, ate and drank. emm the world isn't a charity, things don't come for free. did you not know the price of the food and drink before you ordered it. i would imagine there is a pricelist there.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

Are they serving alcohol in O'Hehirs cafe now? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,744 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You know.. Facebook or Twitter is probably the better place for this sort of fluff..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Basq wrote: »
    You know.. Facebook or Twitter is probably the better place for this sort of fluff..

yeah but i like the abusive comments you get on Boards :D - its never short...

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I hate O'Hehirs bakery good, had a bad experience with them earlier this year with regarding having bad hot chocolate!

• Advertisement

Vlove wrote: »
    I hate O'Hehirs bakery good, had a bad experience with them earlier this year with regarding having bad hot chocolate!

bad hot chocolate??? - like it upset your stomach or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You didn't buy anything, but you availed of payed parking and purchased food and drink?

That's mad. What towns do you normally visit that give out free food?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You didn't buy anything, but you availed of payed parking and purchased food and drink?

That's mad. What towns do you normally visit that give out free food?

I dont expect free food (be nice...) but no, I dont expect free food, I am trying to make out where I said I do or give the impression? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭charman

I find if I don't leave the house I am not down 15 euro...otherwise find free parking and bring a packed lunch..bon appetit

charman wrote: »
    I find if I don't leave the house I am not down 15 euro...otherwise find free parking and bring a packed lunch..bon appetit

not a bad idea really, the packed lunch bit might save quite a bit - think i will do that in the future - i dont know where to park free in Sligo town. I suppose I could park up cararoe retail park and walk down into town... what a trek though.

• Advertisement

i'm me own worst enemy. I know that if I walked up to Filan's Centra in Castle Street I would be a able to get a cheap cappucino and a cheap something to eat like a pastry or sausage roll ... but I'm always near something like the tesco arcade when the hunger comes on and I think "sod it" and cant be arsed walking up to centra and end up going in O'Hehirs instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Make sandwiches and park your car in a place where parking is free. Rosses Point, Strandhill or other numerous scenic spots along the coast or countryside. You could even bring a friend.

Or you could try begging in Tesco car park to fund your next day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Or you could try crowdfunding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

PS: A great tip for begging in Tesco Car park is to wait until some little old dear has opened her purse to pay for her parking. Then in a gruff, yet pleading voice assertively ask "ave you got any change?". She can hardly lie to you at that point with the purse wide open. Easy stuff.

That's what the professional beggars do. In no time at all you will be able to pay for a slap up meal at a restaurant of your choice with enough left over for a bottle of Buckie and 6 cans of cheap lager for the journey home.

Or you could get a job.

red sean wrote: »
    Or you could try crowdfunding!

whats that? - funding for crowds is it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Saw another excellent begging technique, was on the train in dublin, waiting to depart and a lad, tracksuit and runners, forgot his insulin and was collecting a euro to buy some lucozade to tide him over.

For a diabetic, if you had forgotten your insulin, the last thing you would take would be a bottle of lucozade.

It would work for some one who did not know how diabetes worked.

not a bad idea really, the packed lunch bit might save quite a bit - think i will do that in the future - i dont know where to park free in Sligo town. I suppose I could park up cararoe retail park and walk down into town... what a trek though.

You could park down Finisklin, near town and no need to pay. If you get in early enough you will get parked by the side of Hanley's timber yard.

dingding wrote: »
    You could park down Finisklin, near town and no need to pay. If you get in early enough you will get parked by the side of Hanley's timber yard.

no clamping no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭loki7777

no clamping no?

No but you have to be really early in the morning or lucky enough to find free spot;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭T-Bird

But you need to look out for those stupid roadworks... They have had a set of traffic lights there for a couple of weeks near Bruss. But today they were resurfacing the road from the railway bridge to the N4 and the road was closed.

So many cars had to turn around because the road was closed..

• Advertisement

i wonder if anyones documented and put up car parking charges of each county on the Internet and keeps it updated , you know a bit like those sites that document price of fuel in each county? - does anyone know if there is a site like that? - I think parking is awful expensive in town now, but I dunno maybe this is the going rate/average in line with all other counties.

These car parking places and councils , are they allowed to charge what they want and put their prices to whatever they like or is there any kind of governing organisation that can pull them up on it and keep them in line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

i wonder if anyones documented and put up car parking charges of each county on the Internet and keeps it updated , you know a bit like those sites that document price of fuel in each county? - does anyone know if there is a site like that? - I think parking is awful expensive in town now, but I dunno maybe this is the going rate/average in line with all other counties.

These car parking places and councils , are they allowed to charge what they want and put their prices to whatever they like or is there any kind of governing organisation that can pull them up on it and keep them in line?
    So how do you compare them?
    No two towns are the same. Some have more parking spaces than demand, others have less spaces than demand. Some have more on-street parking because of their layout, others have less.
    Demands on councils, private car parks etc. are different from town to town.

red sean wrote: »
    So how do you compare them?
    No two towns are the same. Some have more parking spaces than demand, others have less spaces than demand. Some have more on-street parking because of their layout, others have less.
    Demands on councils, private car parks etc. are different from town to town.

so you dont know if there is a comparison site/table of car parking charges per town then?

be handy to have one to comapare how parking charges fare from county to county in ireland.

I paid 4euro something the other day only just on parking in the quayside. Think the price has gone up to 1.20 per hour. Do others think thats reasonable for the town of sligo - or is that a good price for parking do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

2.00 per hour on-street Galway city centre

They are called local authorities, so they are in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

Saw another excellent begging technique, was on the train in dublin, waiting to depart and a lad, tracksuit and runners, forgot his insulin and was collecting a euro to buy some lucozade to tide him over.

For a diabetic, if you had forgotten your insulin, the last thing you would take would be a bottle of lucozade.

It would work for some one who did not know how diabetes worked.

Yip! I think I was on that Train... last Monday, 15th?

Geuze wrote: »
    They are called local authorities, so they are in charge.

do they govern for private car park companies? or do they have no control on what private car park companies can charge?

Yip! I think I was on that Train... last Monday, 15th?

I think it was later in the week, he must be fairly forgetful as well.

do they govern for private car park companies? or do they have no control on what private car park companies can charge?

No, they don't.

Free market, car park company can charge what they like, same goes for every shop selling every item, more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Bit OT but went to Ballina last weekend for a change. Parking half the price and plenty of car parks to choose from. Almost every shop open and very few of them cafes or coffee shops. The Penneys store is twice the size of Sligo and there is actually a far worse Tesco there than our own Sligo one.

It's been about 10 years or more since I was last down there and that's mainly due to the road. But I'd rather go there than spend my money in our own town in afraid to say.

SCC has gotten so many things wrong and its terrible the way they have let things go.

Advertisement