Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Art Of Small Talk

Options
2»

Comments

Is that because you've had bad holiday experiences, don't go on holidays, or just really, really want to talk about Carl Sagan? :pac:

Carl Sagan trumps holiday talk everytime :D

I love having random chats with total strangers. It's nice to connect to your fellow humanity now and then. I've had great chats with people in queues, on transport, in stores, beaches, at every kind of event.

Lots of the time it's fairly small talk and I usually wind up looking at pictures of pets, kids or grandkids, or hearing about some random family issue and getting caught up in some strangers life and walking away at the end hoping for the best for them. Sometimes you walk away knowing more about life than you did before you started. Those are the best chats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Stigura wrote: »
    " 7 Across: Hellish load for a postman."
    That's a tough one. Is it real and what was the answer?

You're supposed to ask, " How many letters? "

Much hilarity ensues! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Stigura wrote: »
    You're supposed to ask, " How many letters? "

Much hilarity ensues! :p

*Face palm*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Love a bit of the auld small talk meself.

"So, the heat death of the universe eh..... some dose!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Not big in to sport but not disinterested either, anyway I work with some who is big in to sport one day as a conversation opener they said to me 'so what did your husband think of the match'.. made me laugh, talk about desperate for a conversation about sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Thursday!

Thursday is Farmers Journal day.

Amateur.....:pac:

I Am SO Mortified!!! :eek:

Read that. Didn't know what the hell ye were talking about. " I'll bloody show him! " I thought. " Off into town in a minute. Tuesday. Like I always do. Pick up the Farmers Journal ~ for the crosswords. Like I always do. Scan the bugger and pop it up here! "

Onto my high horse and rode into town.

Looked, in the paper shop. " Where's the Farmers Journal? " I asked the girl. " Oh," She says. " That doesn't come out till Thursday. " I couldn't believe my ear! Then, I realised; I must have been buying last weeks paper, left over from Thursday. But, why were there none left today? There were always piles of them .....

I slunk off, back to the pub. Turmoil.

Mentioned to the land lady how I'd failed to get a paper, to do the crosswords with the bar maid. How they said the FJ came out on Thursdays. Phil' looked at me as though I'd just coughed up a live trout.

" No, " She said. " You and Marion do the crosswords in the Tuesdays Independent. One's in the farming supplement. "

I crept back to the news agents, head bowed in shame. Tonight, I shall lash my bare back, twenty times, with stinging nettles. Repeating, at each stroke: " I am a ring piece. I am a ring piece. I ..... " :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

"Who's on your hitlist these days?", Always gets people talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just pick any AH thread title, that should keep you going for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I'm good at it up to a point. At work quite a lot of men are uninterested in sport so I'd struggle to think of stuff to say, wanting to avoid politics and current affairs as it might mean I have to listen to a rant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Something I been trying hard at lately....being more small talking person at tea time etc

Whoever said people love to talk about themselves are right to a certain degree..

...but never accounted for politeness where they ask you stuff back and decends into tumbleweed territory quickly then with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Im grand with small talk for example when standing at a bus stop or in a taxi or the checkout person where i never have to see them again but the small talk with the neighbour when youre going in and out of the house where you say the same thing whenever you see them is pretty painful.

It's like you step out the door and then see them and think "oh ****...did they notice me?....is it possible to retreat back into the house?"

Advertisement