Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Art Of Small Talk

Options
  • 15-08-2016 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

It's slowly dying away. When you've read the No Smoking notice for the fourteenth time, when you've watched the same ticker heading on Sky News fly past for an eternity, when the moth dancing around the lightbulb finally dies of old age, you finally have fcuk all else to do but chat to your fellow traveller.

'Grand day'

'Aye, grand day'

Tell me you're better at passing the time chatting to a stranger than this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It's slowly dying away. When you've read the No Smoking notice for the fourteenth time, when you've watched the same ticker heading on Sky News fly past for an eternity, when the moth dancing around the lightbulb finally dies of old age, you finally have fcuk all else to do but chat to your fellow traveller.

'Grand day'

'Aye, grand day'

Tell me you're better at passing the time chatting to a stranger than this.

Any spare change ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Am great at small talk and can always think of the right thing to say.

About 10 minutes after the conversation has finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Any spare change ?

I think you're looking for The Art Of Nonsense Talk thread, it's further down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

People are too busy wIth their phones to engage in small talk!

The Art of Noise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sport always works, especially now with the olympics on

Sport always works, especially now with the olympics on

'Jesus, the Yanks gave the Brazilians some hammering in the water polo today didn't they?'

Hill sheep farmer; 'Wha?'!

'Jesus, the Yanks gave the Brazilians some hammering in the water polo today didn't they?'

Or you know the boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm great at small talk, so much so that I probably struggle with an actual deep conversation now. I prefer keeping things light.

Or you know the boxing

Crowd of pansies. There were 57 of us watching the rumble in the jungle on a wee black and white TV with no picture, now that was boxing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

How's she cuttin'?

Sorry, had to be done. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

So how's your sex life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Just tell the Hill Sheep Farmer that you've mentioned him on boards.ie. See what happens next.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    So how's your sex life?

Next time I'm in an NCT waiting room I'll be sure to use that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm not terrible at it unless someone asks me 'about the game'. Then I'm full on IT Crowd. It's actually annoying that 'small talk' for such a large percentage of men is talking about other men kicking a ball about a field.

Crowd of pansies. There were 57 of us watching the rumble in the jungle on a wee black and white TV with no picture, now that was boxing!

Yeah, yeah... yeah.. sorry I have to go take a call

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm not terrible at it unless someone asks me 'about the game'.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

I'm crap at small talk. I'm crap at chit chat. I think this explains why I'm single to a large degree. That and my fascinating skin diseases.

I am very good at small talk although I don't always enjoy it. Depends on the situation really. One good thing about it is watching others respond positively and warmly when you engage them a little. I like that :)

Just ask her about her last holiday... that'll keep her going for ages... and then prompt her on where she wants to go next.. ages more... and then ask her opinion on any destination... ages more. Make appropiate noises (no grunting).

There you go.

Just ask her about her last holiday... that'll keep her going for ages... and then prompt her on where she wants to go next.. ages more... and then ask her opinion on any destination... ages more. Make appropiate noises (no grunting).

There you go.

What if she's the type of girl who wants to be asked her opinion on Carl Sagan and should we maybe leave Putin to his own *devices?

Pun not intended*

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm competent at engaging in small talk but I'd much rather not.

That's it.

Move on to the next post please.

What if she's the type of girl who wants to be asked her opinion on Carl Sagan and should we maybe leave Putin to his own *devices?

Pun not intended*

:p

Didn't figure political discussions to be small talk. Holidays/travel is something all women love to talk about.. it's risk free. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Fcuk all that! It's Tuesday; Just whip out the Farmers Journal and crack into those Crosswords!

" 7 Across: Hellish load for a postman."

Guaranteed to break the ice ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Stigura wrote: »
    Fcuk all that! It's Tuesday; Just whip out the Farmers Journal and crack into those Crosswords!

Thursday!

Thursday is Farmers Journal day.

Amateur.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"How are you?"

"Good. How are you?"

"Good. How are you? ... d'oh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's great drying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

To me, there's certain topics to hit when small talk is required:

Weather
    Politics
    Current Affairs (Not mine, but I usually mention when I know the wife's been cheating.)
    Traffic
    Road Works
    Sport

Sometimes starting a small talk conversation can be a nightmare, particularly with taxi drivers. I mean, there's so many taxi drivers who could talk for Ireland, the second you get in their car they're off and have a great knack for small talk. Then there's the other ones who ignore any effort of small talk. I'm grand with sitting in silence, but I'd like to know which taxi drivers are chatty and which aren't. There should be some indication on their roof signs: "TALKING TAXI" or "STFU TAXI".

Didn't figure political discussions to be small talk. Holidays/travel is something all women love to talk about.. it's risk free. ;):D

They're not but damn I couldn't hold a conversation about holidays without my eyes glazing over :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

They're not but damn I couldn't hold a conversation about holidays without my eyes glazing over :p
    Is that because you've had bad holiday experiences, don't go on holidays, or just really, really want to talk about Carl Sagan? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Stigura wrote: »

That's a tough one. Is it real and what was the answer?

Advertisement