Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just dont get twitter

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

OK Einstein how about you lets us in on the secret because I don't get Twitter or Snapchat either.

I have a pretty active facebook page for my Judo club, but I just can't get to grips with Twitter ~ or God forbid 'Snap Chat'.

I'd really like to know so I can expand my clubs audience.

Facebook is generally aimed at longform communication. Twitter is for quickly linking in a more public forum. So lets say something happens and you want to see what people around the world are thinking about it, you'd go to twitter as to see that on facebook will take too long.

Snapchat's main USP is it's story feature. So if you had a judo tournament you can pop up videos in almost realtime so people can follow along what's happening as it happens.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Also if you have a young group of people in your judo club I can guarantee they spend more time on snapchat than they do on facebook, which has a much older demographic generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A guy goes to the doctor and says he's addicted to Twitter.

Doctor replies , "Sorry I don't follow you."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I use twitter a lot. It has a really good search engine, great for news and sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't care you had a croissant for breakfast or what shade of brown your faeces are.
    And no one cares whether you like twitter or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Cienciano wrote: »
    And no one cares whether you like twitter or not

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Yeah I don't see the appeal either. Used to have a Twitter account but barely logged in. Too fast-moving and snippety - I prefer to focus on one thing for a while rather than a whole bunch of items flying in front of me.

Same, I deleted my account. I never used it. Ever. The format didn't/doesn't engage me. I really like Facebook and use that all the time. Horse for courses, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I find Twitter great for keeping up with what's coming to and leaving Netflix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

One of the first things I do when I wake up is check Twitter or Facebook. It is just the way of the world now. The worlds news literally in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Odd thing about Twitter is that since they changed the word 'favourite' to 'like', a lot of Facebook migrants use 'like' rather than 'retweet', probably not realising that to 'like' something on Twitter (unlike Facebook) means that you save the reference, rather than sharing it with others. Silly… but I suppose it saves the world's bandwidth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think twitter as a platform has run it's course. For live info from current events it's good but the bottom line is that it's a massive loss making company with nothing on the horizon to make it more appealing than other social platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

You have to follow people related to your niche interests to really appreciate Twitter. If you work in an ever-evolving field Twitter really helps to keep you up to date on changes in the industry, with very little effort on your part.

Someone said (possibly a boardsie) that Twitter makes you admire people you don't know, whereas Facebook makes you hate people you do know. That explains it very well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

i heard on the radio recently that Twitter is losing traction in its marketplace. It's never made money, is losing users, not signing new users in enough numbers and existing users are using it less. So it's time may be coming to an end.

I never got it, tbh, I always felt it was a media thing to promote media type people who wanted /needed people to ' follow' them Thatwas never my cup of tea, but I have a mate who says it's a good news agregator. Maybe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

:(

awwwwww:)

daithi7 wrote: »
    I have a mate who says it's a good news agregator. Maybe.....

If you want to get the instant gen on any news happening anywhere in the world, Twitter is the best way to do it, because there'll almost always be people on the spot tweeting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

daithi7 wrote: »
    i heard on the radio recently that Twitter is losing traction in its marketplace. It's never made money, is losing users, not signing new users in enough numbers and existing users are using it less. So it's time may be coming to an end.

I never got it, tbh, I always felt it was a media thing to promote media type people who wanted /needed people to ' follow' them Thatwas never my cup of tea, but I have a mate who says it's a good news agregator. Maybe.....

It is and has been losing value for 2 years now. Shares were $69 in Jan 2014 and dropped to as low as $14 in June 2016. Most of their top execs have jumped ship which is never a good sign either, the CEO/founder is off working on another project. I'm surprised that more hasn't been made of it's demise.

The valuation of Social Media companies in general is ridiculous. They've been valued on how many users they have rather than their ability to make money from them. Valued on the hope that some day they'll magically discover how to make money. If I wanted to buy Facebook it would cost me $350 billion. They made $1 billion profit last year, it would take me 350 years to make my money back... Facebook probably won't be around in 10 years. Lots of people are going to get stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't care you had a croissant for breakfast or what shade of brown your faeces are.

I fear you may be confusing Twitter with Instagram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I registered my Twitter account in 2009, and tried using it for a few months, then I left it. I started using it again last November and when I logged back in I found I had over 1000 followers.

So I did a bit of research and found a way to gain many followers and direct them to my website and my Instagram page. I find it a great way to gain exposure for my business, and also for generating sales leads. Selling directly from Twitter is a different ball game and is not that easy to do (I have found).

I also haven't tried an ad campaign yet.... *this is where all your Twitter followers will see your ad when they log in.

Depending on how many followers you have, this can be very large exposure... especially if your ad is retweeted, you can reach a huge audience. The only downfall is that Twitter can charge anything from 0.30c - $3.00 per click.

This can accumulate into a very large figure, unless you pre-determine a ceiling to your ad campaign before you launch it... ie. You do not let your campaign costs exceed $50 for example.

This is why catagorising your followers into different lists is a good idea... this way you can direct an ad campaign at a specific group of your followers where you might gain the most sales leads.

With Twitter you can have a very large shop window indeed for your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I registered my Twitter account in 2009, and tried using it for a few months, then I left it. I started using it again last November and when I logged back in I found I had over 1000 followers.

Why would over 1000 people be following an account that's been unused for 6 years? Do twitter even let old accounts hang around that long if they're inactive?

So I did a bit of research and found a way to gain many followers and direct them to my website and my Instagram page.

Do tell

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Why would over 1000 people be following an account that's been unused for 6 years? Do twitter even let old accounts hang around that long if they're inactive?

about 800 followers when I stopped using Twitter. I think I might have logged in 3 or 4 times in the space of 5 years without following anyone or tweeting anything... and the other thing was that someone did hack my account and started spamming with lots of Tweets about weight loss, etc. A few friends notified me that this was going on so I changed my password.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Do tell

ok, I use a thing called Tweepi.

When you go onto the Tweepi website, go over to the top right and click 'login' then on the next screen click the 'Open with Twitter' blue button.

Then on the next screen, along the top where it says 'Follow Tools' click on 'by @users followers'.

Then in the search box, type in the Twitter handle (see below) of who's followers you want to follow, and Tweepi will list all their followers.

* A Twitter handle is another way of saying Twitter username... eg. @WildAtlanticWay *

By the way, to know who's followers you want to follow, go to the search bar over on the top right on the Twitter main page, and type in a search word of your area of interest.

For example, if your area is fly-fishing, just type in fly fishing into the search box and see what results are listed, have a look at the first few handles that appear in the drop-down list.

If your area of interest or business is fly fishing, then you need to be following all the followers of the most popular Twitter fly fishing accounts. Hopefully most of these followers will follow you back, especially when they see you have a common interest and if your Twitter page is well presented, with plenty of strong images and interesting content.

If you want any more info just let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't get it either. I have downloaded the app onto my phone numerous times but immediately deleted it again after having a look. It's full of shÍte talk and nonsense but I suppose the only saving grace is that people are limited to the amount of shÍte they can post in one tweet.

I haven't looked at it in months and can't see myself ever bothering with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

If you're seeing lots of ****e talk and nonsense, you're following the wrong people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you're seeing lots of ****e talk and nonsense, you're following the wrong people

Yep. Although when you start following someone, its important to turn off seeing their retweets. That way, I only see their original content and not the crap they are retweeting, that I probably have zero interest in. Doing that has de-clogged my time line of a lot of clutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Facebook is generally aimed at longform communication. Twitter is for quickly linking in a more public forum. So lets say something happens and you want to see what people around the world are thinking about it, you'd go to twitter as to see that on facebook will take too long.

Snapchat's main USP is it's story feature. So if you had a judo tournament you can pop up videos in almost realtime so people can follow along what's happening as it happens.

See, Einstein :D

The last bit is very useful as we've a competition coming shortly and the venue has pretty fast wifi so using snapchat could be an option?.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to embracing something new like snapchat etc.

Thanks Albert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I use twitter exclusively for transfer gossip while the window is open, I won't touch the app again till January

When I first started using Twitter last year I did get excited and tweet a few famous people but they (rightly) didn't reply to my nonsense #believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Grayson wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone I follow on twitter is either maths, computers, or political. I don't follow anyone I actually know. Twitter is really just a news app for me.

This. I don't treat it as social media at all, I never even tweeted for the first year or more I was on it.

Your Face wrote: »
    I use Bebo.
    Me too.

Bebo Stunnah 4 lyf

╔══════════════════╗
    ║.(\ /).(¯`♥´¯).¸. ωнєяє уσυ ¸.☆´¯)
    ║.( . .) `*.¸.* вєℓιєνє тнєяє ιѕ ´´¯`•.¸¸.♥
    ║c('')('') мαgι¢...уσυ ωιℓℓ ႒ιη∂ ιт.. ✶* ¸ .✫
    ╚══════════════════╝.¸ .✫
    вяιgнтєѕт вℓєѕѕιηgѕ...

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I feel the same way about Instagram and Snapchat, just can't be bothered with them.

Advertisement