Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just dont get twitter

Options
  • 15-08-2016 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭

I have to admit I'm a late adopter when it comes to technology, only begrudgingly upgrading but then like most convert becoming a bit zealous. But I just cant get my head around twitter.

But twitter looks like some sort of half finished mesh app with @ and #'s all over the shop. Then most posts are the equivalent of a chain letter or else mundane crap, I don't care you had a croissant for breakfast or what shade of brown your faeces are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Luckily enough, it's not compulsory...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

#idon'teither

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

So you're on the internet expressing your opinion of people on the internet expressing their opinion. And you're a late adapter and don't understand Twitter yet.

Great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The day on which AH will consist solely of threads either containing interchangeable lists of trivial annoyances or complaints about social media is surely drawing ever closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

u ok hun #lololdpeople

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Pretty much everyone I follow on twitter is either maths, computers, or political. I don't follow anyone I actually know. Twitter is really just a news app for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Loves the aul Twitter meself. It's where I get most of my news. Am having great craic following all the athletes & journalists who are over in Rio for d'Lympics. You get much more insider info on the Twitter machine, than you do from traditional media. The simplicity of the @ and the # makes it all very streamlined & easy to follow, unlike Facebook which is a hot mess of ads, clutter from people I don't even know & crap I don't care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

#Hashtag, is that how you do it?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I just don't get twitter

Ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I don't really get it either as a traditional social network thing but I have found it useful for breaking stories- things like the Turkish coup for example though that was a learning curve for me as there was so much faked footages/reused, or to actually look at whats happening on the ground rather than the slant the more mainstream media is reporting e.g the riots in the USA which showing its highly racist nature which is left out of the traditional media.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

nullzero wrote: »
    #Hashtag, is that how you do it?

That's a gateway tag. It starts with #Hashtag and before you know it you're at the #Injectingheroinintoyoureyeballstag.

Let my experience be a lesson you you all.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The night of the attempted coup in Turkey Periscope was astonishing. I will forgive Twitter a lot to have been present in some sense at those events. And especially being able to leave some of them quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Facebook is people you went to school with. Twitter is people you wish you went to school with.

mocha brown

#whatcolourisyourpoop #hashtag

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Facebook is people you went to school with. Twitter is people you wish you went to school with.

I prefer this one myself.

Facebook : dull stuff from friends.
    Twitter : interesting stuff from people you don't know.

But at the end of the day, they're both crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Do you even lift Snapchat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Yeah I don't see the appeal either. Used to have a Twitter account but barely logged in. Too fast-moving and snippety - I prefer to focus on one thing for a while rather than a whole bunch of items flying in front of me. But that formula appeals to a lot of folks - and fair enough. Plenty of them are far from idiots. If anything, there is less of the silly stuff on Twitter than on Facebook, from what I have seen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Jesus, I could understand this thread back in 2009, but it 2016??

Seriously, twitter is one of the biggest social media platforms, there's nothing to 'get'.

You might as well say I don't 'get' toasters or Microsoft Word.

No one tell the OP about snapchat or kik, his head might explode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I use Bebo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I cant use twitter on dial up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I like twitter! Snapchat , I'm a reluctant hostage who is sipping on the kool-aid gradually .....but kik? Wtf is Kik?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Seriously, twitter is one of the biggest social media platforms, there's nothing to 'get'.

with Twitter now in decline unable to generate constant growth or make a profit it must be worrying time for you.

But then a platform based on SMS limited text count of 80's technology was always going to rise, peak then decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I have to admit I'm a late adopter when it comes to technology, only begrudgingly upgrading but then like most convert becoming a bit zealous. But I just cant get my head around twitter.

But twitter looks like some sort of half finished mesh app with @ and #'s all over the shop. Then most posts are the equivalent of a chain letter or else mundane crap, I don't care you had a croissant for breakfast or what shade of brown your faeces are.

Ronald Reagan?
    The actor?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

i have loads of cam birds following me and they want me to follow them on snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Like anything in life there is good and bad.
    But I too don't get the nature of posting silly things to twitter like 'oh going to the cinema later' what you had for lunch etc.

Sadly, it's also given people a voice that should never have been listened to in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OK Einstein how about you lets us in on the secret because I don't get Twitter or Snapchat either.

I have a pretty active facebook page for my Judo club, but I just can't get to grips with Twitter ~ or God forbid 'Snap Chat'.

I'd really like to know so I can expand my clubs audience.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

OK Einstein how about you lets us in on the secret because I don't get Twitter or Snapchat either.

I have a pretty active facebook page for my Judo club, but I just can't get to grips with Twitter ~ or God forbid 'Snap Chat'.

I'd really like to know so I can expand my clubs audience.

Here's a tip

don't try to be a sarcastic #dick

Advertisement