Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic tickets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Any photos of Shane Ross at any events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ticket scandal > Pat Hickey arrested ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

LordSutch wrote: »
    Ticket scandal > Pat Hickey arrested ???

Yeah just listening on the news now.

Greed got them in the end really. They promised a champagne reception in a top hotel with the package deals offered, and skimped on it with a cheap hotel. It was the customers reporting them that caught them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No silver lining in getting arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yeah just listening on the news now.

Greed got them in the end really. They promised a champagne reception in a top hotel with the package deals offered, and skimped on it with a cheap hotel. It was the customers reporting them that caught them out.

A few cans around the back of the hostel?!

Good times!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Typical August news story.

Good call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

BBC Breaking News

The head of the Irish and European Olympic committees, Patrick Hickey, has been arrested in Rio over illegal Olympic ticket sales, Brazil media report.

Mr Hickey, 71, is suspected of illegally passing on tickets for the Games to touts who sold them at extortionate prices, the reports say.

His arrest comes days after a man was caught in Rio with 800 illegal tickets.

Police said Mr Hickey tried to escape when they came to arrest him.

:confused: :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

LordSutch wrote: »
    BBC Breaking News

The head of the Irish and European Olympic committees, Patrick Hickey, has been arrested in Rio over illegal Olympic ticket sales, Brazil media report.

Mr Hickey, 71, is suspected of illegally passing on tickets for the Games to touts who sold them at extortionate prices, the reports say.

His arrest comes days after a man was caught in Rio with 800 illegal tickets.

Police said Mr Hickey tried to escape when they came to arrest him.

:confused: :pac:

The money from those tickets were resting in his account!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

More from the BBC:
    Police say Mr Hickey, who also heads the Olympic Council of Ireland, tried to escape when they came to arrest him.
    They say he slid his Olympic pass under the door when police came knocking and fled into the adjacent hotel room, where his son had been staying until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Its a busy time for him to be fair, so I think that insinuation is a bit low. He also took time out to meet Minister Ross and they had a great exchange of views in an excellent meeting.
    The tickets in Mr Mallon's possession were being held for clients, and were distributed according to the approved ATR process. The OCI is in a difficult position, not being able to comment further publicly so as not to prejudice the processes of the Brazilian judicial system. There remains however, no suggestion of any wrongdoing or misconduct on the part of the OCI or any of its staff, so I think people need to calm down a little.

LOL at this guy

Go on give us your next bit of spin:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He'll have one phone call. He'll ring Shane Ross surely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Water John wrote: »
    He'll have one phone call. He'll ring Shane Ross surely.

I hope he knows a decent lawyer in Rio. I also hope we won't have to foot the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The opportunity to clear up any misunderstanding will surely be welcomed by Mr Hickey, and the whole Irish team will be able to get back to focusing entirely on supporting our athletes and representing Ireland on this biggest of all international sporting stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lucretia, what planet are you on?
    Your lines, in diff threads on this are pure PR type waffle. No legitimate point. Reminds me of Bertiespeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

mzungu wrote: »
    I hope he knows a decent lawyer in Rio. I also hope we won't have to foot the bill.
    Really hope he doesn't actually

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I honestly didn't know the man's name until last week, never was very interested in the Olympics but it seems like everyone else knew he was a Charlie-esque character. I thought it was gas that he made Shane Ross look like a proper div, but look who has gotten the last laugh now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

good read here from Rio.

http://esportes.estadao.com.br/noticias/jogos-olimpicos,policia-do-rio-prende-membro-do-coi-por-cambismo,10000070064

Translated
    Rio police arrested early on Wednesday Pat Hickey, a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). He is accused of involvement in the sale of tickets for the Olympic Games . The arrest took place at the hotel used by the entity, in Barra da Tijuca. The director also chairs the Olympic Committee of Ireland. Hickey became ill after arrest and had to be taken to hospital Samaritano, in Barra.
    The state had revealed last week that scalpers arrested in Rio were supplied for tickets provided by the "Olympic family" and worked for a company with links to the IOC members. In total, about 40 moneychangers were arrested in three days in Rio with groups repeating scheme that took place at the World Cup 2014. According to the police, "it is a very lucrative scheme and the detained person must answer for three crimes, "said the delegate Ricardo Barbosa, without giving further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

We should get a comment from Shane Ross as soon as he manages to stop laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod:

Use this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057635838

We'll try to keep this to one thread, bit too big to merge though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement