Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you reform the tv licence collection ?

Options
  • 14-08-2016 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

I would look at adding 18 euro monthly to the electricity bill or else to the property tax and council rents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I would look at adding 18 euro monthly to the electricity bill or else to the property tax and council rents.

There's still a tv licence...?

I thguht the just taxed an extra 18 euro or so monthly...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What has electricity got to do with the tv licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Scrap the whole stupid system and take the money from general taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Should just be added to the property at this stage. And stop increasing it every 2 years, €160 odd right now is a joke. We pay tax on our subs to Sky, UPC whatever as it is. So we are paying tax on a service we are already paying tax on each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Get rid of it. Why are we paying a tax to own a tv? Rte salaries are ridiculous. They get money from advertising and the licence and what was on rte plus 1 during the week? Mrs Brown's boys Christmas special. Great value alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

mfceiling wrote: »
    Get rid of it. Why are we paying a tax to own a tv? .

It's not tax for owning a TV anymore. It's a tax if you have a TV, radio, mobile phone or broadband and any device capable of using radio, TV or broadband services.

It's just a blanket tax at this stage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Should just be added to the property at this stage. And stop increasing it every 2 years, €160 odd right now is a joke. We pay tax on our subs to Sky, UPC whatever as it is. So we are paying tax on a service we are already paying tax on each month.

The last increase was 8 and a half years ago.

Sky's VAT benefits the Luxembourg government, not ours

And it's still levied on TV ownership only. You don't seem to understand it very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

RTE radio, I never ever listen to,, It's newstalk in my car..

RTE 1 ,, maybe I might watch the 6:01 News, once a week, not every week.
    I do like the C4 News at 7:00 , it's a good news show.

And while I know that there is the odd match on RTE 2, I do not think it's worth €4 every week.
    RTE needs to be look at by our politicians, with a view to giving us more for our €4, so that we don't feel were smucks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sky has no connection with Luxembourg, it's a UK Plc whose largest shareholder is US based 21st Century Fox. You may be thinking of SES who own the actual satellites Sky rents capacity from.

The problem with a move to general taxation is that it puts RTE directly at the mercy of the Govenment of the day for funding. The threat (occasionally actually followed through) of a budget cut has been used effectively against the Australian ABC from time to time since they abolished their licence fee many years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

icdg wrote: »
    Sky has no connection with Luxembourg, it's a UK Plc whose largest shareholder is US based 21st Century Fox. You may be thinking of SES who own the actual satellites Sky rents capacity from.

No, I'm not. BSkyB have Luxembourg holding companies which they use to charge their (paltry) VAT rate. They may only be able to do it on certain parts of their service these days though, forgot there was a change in the rules about services supplied from afar recently.

The Exchequer likely benefits more from the employees PAYE/USC (and the social insurance fund from both employer and employee PRSI) of the substantial number of staff here than they do from whatever they get off them in VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

L1011 wrote: »
    Sky's VAT benefits the Luxembourg government, not ours

Not true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭paul71

No, I'm not. BSkyB have Luxembourg holding companies which they use to charge their (paltry) VAT rate. They may only be able to do it on certain parts of their service these days though, forgot there was a change in the rules about services supplied from afar recently.

The Exchequer likely benefits more from the employees PAYE/USC (and the social insurance fund from both employer and employee PRSI) of the substantial number of staff here than they do from whatever they get off them in VAT.

Completely untrue, VAT is levied in the state of consumption always has been always will be. You are thinking of corp tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

There is no point of talking unrealistic rubbish about closing down rte. I do think tho that there should be a pay cap for rte broadcasters of about 250k, pat kennys flop on newstalks proves that it was insance to have been paying him 950k at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

To pay for what?

paul71 wrote: »
    Completely untrue, VAT is levied in the state of consumption always has been always will be. You are thinking of corp tax.

Nope. Sky have long abused a loophole where they claimed consumption is in Luxembourg. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248788/Britains-biggest-TV-net-firms-used-Luxembourg-loophole-avoid-80million-tax.html and so on. There was some tightening up recently but they are not paying 23% VAT on all appropriate income here by any means.

I would assume their corporation tax is similarly, eh, "managed" to ensure they pay as little as possible but this is specifically VAT I'm talking about and they have been abusing Luxembourgs system for decades. That SES are based there is coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Why should we have to pay for something that people may not use.

I don't have Saorview or listen to any RTE radio station.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nope. Sky have long abused a loophole where they claimed consumption is in Luxembourg. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248788/Britains-biggest-TV-net-firms-used-Luxembourg-loophole-avoid-80million-tax.html and so on. There was some tightening up recently but they are not paying 23% VAT on all appropriate income here by any means.

I would assume their corporation tax is similarly, eh, "managed" to ensure they pay as little as possible but this is specifically VAT I'm talking about and they have been abusing Luxembourgs system for decades. That SES are based there is coincidental.

Just to be clear; in the very article you quote it mentions:
    (1) That the Sky activity run through Luxembourg was Broadband business only
    (2) That it moved this business back to the UK in 2010
    (3) That the EU VAT rule that allowed Sky to do this was to be changed in 2015 (which it was).

Can we get back to the licence fee discussion please

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Pay money to watch adverts? And not even current, relevant or interesting shows squeezed in between them?
    No, just no.

If you want me to pay for a service then do not expect me to accept a service with advertising on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The current system is very 20th century (or even maybe 19th). Going around trying to find out who has or has not a "receiving apparatus" is a ridiculous waste of time and effort. With advances in technology it will quickly become even more anachronistic than it is at the moment.

It is good for society that we have public broadcasting and don't have to rely solely on the market. Radio and TV are a public good and we should be slow to leave their provision to private interests.

As I said earlier the money should just come from general taxation. Simple and efficient, everyone pays a little. You will still have all the arguments about content etc. but these are another days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Have an extra collection basket at mass.

Allow rte to become a commercial organisation by selling advertising in lieu of a licence fee, then it could pay large fees to its talent... oh wait...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Where did the 18 euro come from?
    That'd be €216 a year. Its currently €160 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Why should we have to pay for something that people may not use.

I don't have Saorview or listen to any RTE radio station.

Yeah I mean my house has never burnt down. Why am I paying for the fire brigade?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Yeah I mean my house has never burnt down. Why am I paying for the fire brigade?

They are being paid out of general taxation, there is not an extra levy for them. Also they charge a callout fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

markfinn wrote: »
    Pay money to watch adverts? And not even current, relevant or interesting shows squeezed in between them?
    No, just no.

If you want me to pay for a service then do not expect me to accept a service with advertising on it.

Why not ?

There's just one country IIRC that has a licence fee amd no ads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Add it to the property tax. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Scrap the system. I already pay to watch RTÉ etc via my Virgin Media bill. Why should I pay a TV license? It's arcane at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Why would you pay 18 a month when you can pay it monthly at the minute for 13 euro and a few cent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

dudara wrote: »
    Scrap the system. I already pay to watch RT etc via my Virgin Media bill. Why should I pay a TV license? It's arcane at this stage.

You pay Virgin Media, this does not go to RT , any more than your Virgin broadband bill goes to Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

It's not tax for owning a TV anymore. It's a tax if you have a TV, radio, mobile phone or broadband and any device capable of using radio, TV or broadband services.

It's just a blanket tax at this stage.

Thought they didn't bring this in yet?

TV and radio, yes but it's not for the use of a mobile phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No problem paying it, but the waste in RTE kills me. Salaries aside, the amount spent on sports rights and US imports that could otherwise be picked up by commercial stations is a head scratcher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement