Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to avoid getting hair cut by someone without proper English?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Frank101 wrote: »
    At a barbers? Please tell me a bit more.

Just that. Back when I was getting buzz cuts. Turned out fine, Just wary and unable to relax the entire time. He was Turkish. Nice guy. Seven Euro. It was a wet day.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

ich habe morgen geburtstag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 185 ✭✭Frank101

Just that. Back when I was getting buzz cuts. Turned out fine, Just wary and unable to relax the entire time. He was Turkish. Nice guy. Seven Euro. It was a wet day.
    ah yeah, it's not good for your blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,249 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Now I have fairly boring hair but I've never really had a problem communicating what I want.

Its not deciphering spy code.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I presume this is a problem for others as well. I myself recently have been going to the grafton barbors chain, to try and avoid this problem. But there's still some staff there with this problem.

The other day I ended up with this hair dresser, and at one point it looked as if she was taking too little off the top (the sides were already cut). It would've been too much for her to understand if I were to say "would it be possible to go any shorter while keeping it longer than the sides?" She would have just heard shorter and longer in the same sentence and got confused. Or else I could have called one of the other hair dressers over and embarrassed her.

Anyway in the end, since it seemed quite long, I decided to take a gamble and have her take just a little bit more off, which she did. My heart was in my mouth. Towards the end, I noticed she was cutting the sides again so that everything would be in proportion. Needless to say, the whole thing ended up a bit too short. To make matters worse, she pointed out this problem that arose for her, as if it were my fault. If she were capable of understanding my initial question, this problem wouldn't have happened.

There have got to be some solutions to this problem.

I used to go to a barber chain back in the day. I won't confirm whether or not it was the same one as you mention.

But I used to far far prefer getting one of the sexy Eastern European ladies. There was one kinda milfy blondie Dublin wan but apart from that, sexy foreigners were where it was at. Most of them were savage. (As opposed to savages.....don't get me feckin started again on the Mexicans)

Sure I even have Melania cut my hair now. It's fantastic. I have lovely hair. She's fantastic, she's gonna be great. My hair is the best

• Advertisement

Go to The Butcher Barber in Dublin. Great place and perfect English. Avoids the OP's problem.

Shout out for Beards and Barnets in Temple Bar also. Going to a Grafton Barbers and complaining about your haircut is like going to McDonalds and complaining about the food.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm glad I haven't had to even think about this in about the last 10 years. Nature forcing my hand somewhat, and not feeling the need to contemplate a 70's style combover has worked out well, not to mention saved a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,249 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Shout out for Beards and Barnets in Temple Bar also. Going to a Grafton Barbers and complaining about your haircut is like going to McDonalds and complaining about the food.

Nonsense.

They do a fine job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What is "Proper" English ?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

I used to go to a barber chain back in the day. I won't confirm whether or not it was the same one as you mention.

But I used to far far prefer getting one of the sexy Eastern European ladies. There was one kinda milfy blondie Dublin wan but apart from that, sexy foreigners were where it was at. Most of them were savage. (As opposed to savages.....don't get me feckin started again on the Mexicans)

Sure I even have Melania cut my hair now. It's fantastic. I have lovely hair. She's fantastic, she's gonna be great. My hair is the best

By the sounds of it you're having a sneaky tug while you're getting it cut as well.

"Want some hair gel?"

"Eh, no love you're alright, I have some of me own!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

What is "Proper" English ?

received pronunciation

noodler wrote: »
    Nonsense.

They do a fine job.

They do, but they do a fine job at giving everyone the same basic haircut. OP was looking for more of a style (from the sounds of it) than a bog-standard neat cut, so I would recommend going to one of the better barbers (as mentioned above) for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

received pronunciation

You any idea how many accents there are in the UK ? which one is the Proper one ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

XR3i wrote: »
    sprechen sie deutsch, ich nicht

Warum nicht?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Go to the Waldorf. It's expensive, but I've never had any less than excellence from them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Avoid it? I usually look for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Jesus, what do you want? 2 at the sides, short on top. Hard to go wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Never understand how people can accept gel in freshly cut hair and go about their day. I always have to get a haircut when I'm free to go straight home to a shower and wash the billion flecks of hair off my neck, forehead, ears, the stuff drives me mad with itching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Never understand how people can accept gel in freshly cut hair and go about their day. I always have to get a haircut when I'm free to go straight home to a shower and wash the billion flecks of hair off my neck, forehead, ears, the stuff drives me mad with itching!

Get it washed after the cut?

Saipanne wrote: »
    Get it washed after the cut?

True that'd alleviate the problem, but for me, doesn't do the job. Maybe I'm odd :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You can have a shower after putting gel on too.

Jayop wrote: »
    You can have a shower after putting gel on too.

Of course you can, but in my case it seems daft when I'd only be going straight home to wash it out. It's a personal preference I guess, others obviously don't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hate getting my haircut.
    Main problem is that i don't know what i want and even if i do get a haircut that i like its impossible to describe it to the next hairdresser in a month or two when you need to get it cut again.

I miss the time when i had long hair and went a year without a haircut.

Well seeing as every man nowadays has basically the same self-indulgent haircut I'm sure most foreign hairdressers are well able to cut it. A bit of an aside here, but I say bring back the 2000s when men were men and didn't put as much thought into their haircut. A 2/3 at sides (with no fade in an attempt to wring out the maximum aesthetics for their face) and a 5 on top and they just gelled it down or gelled their fringe up. Social media has made it socially acceptable for lads to put up filtered selfies with their heavy on top, no-hair-on-sides haircuts that are basically a ruthless insult to bald men and then get a hundred likes for it. In the 2000s anyone who displayed signs of concern for their appearance was derisively labelled a "spice-boy" - nowaday the pendulum has swung the other way and those same lads who would have insulted someone for having a "fashionable" haircut are the very ones going around with the most preened, groomed haircuts you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Do a google image search of the type of haircut you want; find an image of the haircut you want, save it on your phone, and show it to barber each haircut hereafter.

(this also works even when you barber speaks perfect English).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hate getting my haircut.
    Main problem is that i don't know what i want and even if i do get a haircut that i like its impossible to describe it to the next hairdresser in a month or two when you need to get it cut again.

I miss the time when i had long hair and went a year without a haircut.

Eh, take a pic of the cut you like, show this next time?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually I find the Grafton Barbers one of the better establishments out there. Yes a lot of their staff aren't Irish but I have never had any issues with communicating what I want and them delivering it.

My worst experience in a Barbers goes back a number of years ago. I went to an establishment in Stillorgan as I was there and was heading out that night so needed a cut. The Barber proceeded to spend the whole time telling me I was going bald and that my normal hairdresser was crap and that the way they were cutting my hair was causing me to go bald. Nearly twenty years later I still have most of my hair bar a little bit gone on the crown. Suffice to say I never graced his establishment again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

"would it be possible to go any shorter while keeping it longer than the sides?"

Stop talking like Gandalf. It would have been easier if you said:
    "I would like the top slightly longer than the sides please". :p

Yeah, I thought the same... when I was 13!!! and hadn't seen tits yet or something. It's not like u get ta have sex with them. I go for the bloody haircut - not to tease myself.

• Advertisement

Are they that bad!?!? I'm in Cork, I'm not sure where else there'd be.

Advertisement