Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to avoid getting hair cut by someone without proper English?

Options
  • 12-08-2016 10:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 185 ✭✭

I presume this is a problem for others as well. I myself recently have been going to the grafton barbors chain, to try and avoid this problem. But there's still some staff there with this problem.

The other day I ended up with this hair dresser, and at one point it looked as if she was taking too little off the top (the sides were already cut). It would've been too much for her to understand if I were to say "would it be possible to go any shorter while keeping it longer than the sides?" She would have just heard shorter and longer in the same sentence and got confused. Or else I could have called one of the other hair dressers over and embarrassed her.

Anyway in the end, since it seemed quite long, I decided to take a gamble and have her take just a little bit more off, which she did. My heart was in my mouth. Towards the end, I noticed she was cutting the sides again so that everything would be in proportion. Needless to say, the whole thing ended up a bit too short. To make matters worse, she pointed out this problem that arose for her, as if it were my fault. If she were capable of understanding my initial question, this problem wouldn't have happened.

There have got to be some solutions to this problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Move to the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Cut it yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Frank101 wrote: »
    test

Testing 1-2-3?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

test

Nobody told me there was going to be a test! I haven't studied! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Roger frank101
    That's a green lighter on test. Proceed to stage 2.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 185 ✭✭Frank101

Sorry - thread will be edited and typed in 10 mins. Come back. The site won't let me paste!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Sure the only phrases they need are..

Are you going anywhere nice on holidays?

Did you go anywhere nice on holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I presume this is a problem for others too.

move to the UK after brexit.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

"Who cut it for you last time?", in a disdainful, sneering tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

maudgonner wrote: »
    "Who cut it for you last time?", in a disdainful, sneering tone.

Just reply, "you did" quickly shuts them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

As a gifted barber of 22 years, you should be able to say that and expect the same.. men's hairdressing has gone to fcuk.. I used to make almost as much per week on tips as my wages because I did what I was asked, if it was outrageous I would gently talk sense and if that wasn't greeted with an ok then I would proceed with the Sh1te haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Some weather we're having...

You going out the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Put the bowl on it and cut around it. No wonder we've been crippled by a recession with peoplep paying others to groom them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I hate the barbers, always feel uncomfortable having my hair cut.

Just reply, "you did" quickly shuts them up.

Not while they're armed. I value my ear lobes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

My long hair just won't cover up my redneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Surely they had enough to English to ask you where you going anywhere nice for your holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Do you speak fluent English?"

"¿Que?"

"Bye."

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Go way would you. I get my hair cut by some polish ladies in a barber that don't speak much english, costs me a tenner. They're very nice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I just point at the picture in one of the books. I've been doing it for three years. I'd be ****ed if they got rid of that book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I remember auld Mr Malone who could leave you high and dry with a half a haircut while he went across the road to ring the angelus bell:o

The old barbers was dark and smelled of smoke and strong whiskey and many many pints of Guinness. Everyone got the same short back and sides and optional comb-over if it was age appropriate, but everyone's haircut ended up perfect for them, always felt so important and good looking and itchy leaving that smoky room.

As for English, it was a form of English that was spoken but us kids knew better than to be caught listening to adults talking:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I remember auld Mr Malone who could leave you high and dry with a half a haircut while he went across the road to ring the angelus bell:o

The old barbers was dark and smelled of smoke and strong whiskey and many many pints of Guinness. Everyone got the same short back and sides and optional comb-over if it was age appropriate, but everyone's haircut ended up perfect for them, always felt so important and good looking and itchy leaving that smoky room.

As for English, it was a form of English that was spoken but us kids knew better than to be caught listening to adults talking :D

And a spray of that eau-de-toilet (sic)! Walking up the road afterwards running your hand up the back of your head to feel the bristles - good times.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Esel wrote: »
    And a spray of that eau-de-toilet (sic)! Walking up the road afterwards running your hand up the back of your head to feel the bristles - good times.
    Sitting bolt upright on the wooden board as he sharpened the razor on the strop and held up a hair and split it before taking your head and pushing it to one side to give better access to your jugular vein:eek:

Surely they had enough to English to ask you where you going anywhere nice for your holidays?
    Not the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I find the barbers oddly relaxing. I have to make an effort to stay awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Go to Bedford Stuy. Mostly Irish guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Do people not just put their hair in a pony tail, stand in the bath and trim it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Go to The Butcher Barber in Dublin. Great place and perfect English. Avoids the OP's problem.

Only ever had that problem once in my life at another spot in Dublin where I was asked "Do you want cut hair".. Didn't fill me with confidence now.

Only ever had that problem once in my life at another spot in Dublin where I was asked "Do you want cut hair".. Didn't fill me with confidence now.
    At a barbers? Please tell me a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

sprechen sie deutsch, ich nicht

Advertisement