Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Niall Boylan Show

Options
  • 09-08-2016 2:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19

Does anyone listen to Niall Boylan on 4fm? If so, what do you think of the show ? I know most of these shows are low-brow and all.... I recently started listening and to me, some of the discussions seem very scripted. For example , there's one caller who calls himself ''Steve'', he is supposedly a '''criminal''. To me, he sounds like an actor, and quite a bad one at that. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I stopped listening to shows like that when I was 14. A very long time ago. They are designed to entertain drama-hungry idiots.

Presenters are fake. Callers are fake. So why bother? One step down from soaps. At least with soaps they admit acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Listened to it for a while. 90% of the topics he covers can be debated in a few minutes flat, but instead they get fake callers to ring in with a divisive opinion and shout it out with whoever else rings in.

It's muck radio, Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Didnt he have some rant about the Mods from boards a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

From what I've heard of it - it is seemingly always on in taxis - it's maddening rubbish. Real cack.

Maybe I'm just unlucky enough to always be there to hear it when the purely obnoxious and stupid have control of the airwaves, but I doubt it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 yeahyeah.7654

I listen to it occasionally in the car. I don't take it too seriously though, it's the radio equivalent of the Jeremy Kyle Show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

The debates on every kind of subjects he has on his show are excellent whether their actors or not,Niall also has a great sense of humour,enjoy it immensely,bit like tonite with Vincent Browne!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

My radio has buttons which allow me to change the channel when I don't like whats on. There is even one that will turn it off completley.

I suggest you buy a new radio OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Mr.JB1986 wrote: »
    Does anyone listen to Niall Boylan on 4fm? If so, what do you think of the show ? I know most of these shows are low-brow and all.... I recently started listening and to me, some of the discussions seem very scripted. For example , there's one caller who calls himself ''Steve'', he is supposedly a '''criminal''. To me, he sounds like an actor, and quite a bad one at that. What do you think?

707540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

He has no tollerence for low lifes and scumbags which I find very amuzing.

They come on looking for handouts of moaning about how they dont get enough free stuff and he invariably puts them back in their box.

He's quite a smart guy if you listen to him, its just a pity a lot of the topics are repeated and mainly rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I can't stand him.

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Thread moved to the Radio forum. Please read their charter before posting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I listen now and again.
    He infuriates me at times, especially when the subject is council housing/state benefits (which he talks about an AWFUL lot).
    He asks for people's opinions but then when they come on to air them, he shoots them down and tells them they're all wrong and they're all scroungers.

I'm always surprised when people don't get that Steve is an actor, as are many others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Mr.JB1986

[QUOTE=fussyonion;

I'm always surprised when people don't get that Steve is an actor, as are many others.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm amazed at how people seem to fall for it. I think Niall must be listening to Adrian Kennedy quite a bit these days, as his show is now sounding like a pastiche of Kennedy's,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

An excellent show. I think Niall Boylan is a very interesting guy, he is clever and always well researched. He is a million times better than any of the idiots that seem to be on RTE or Newstalk etc. If he were living in the US or UK he would probably earn a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

He seems to be happy with what 4fm pay him so he says himself so hope he stays on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I'm one of the wind up merchants that his producers ring from time to time prior to the show kicking off. Winding people up or going against the grain on certain topics is an alright pass time if one's nothing better else to do on a cold winters night. They do give me a mug every so often. Alright too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So what time should we all tune in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I like him a lot, tells it how it is to the scroungers and people scamming the system and they don't like that.

Country needs more of that.

But your man jude who is on everyday, jaysus.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I like him a lot, tells it how it is to the scroungers and people scamming the system and they don't like that.

Country offer more of that.

But your man jude who is on everyday, jaysus.

We don't like it alright :pac:

Jude, John, Alan, Joe, Bill, John O'Donovan, Joan, Kevin, Paul the trucker, Me...... I could go on it's us that makes that show not Niall Boylan.

Anyone want a few 4fm mugs? Press is full of them here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Mr.JB1986

Jude, John, Alan, Joe, Bill, John O'Donovan, Joan, Kevin, Paul the trucker, Me...... I could go on it's us that makes that show not Niall Boylan.

So which one are you? And to be fair, Niall does have talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The show is a radio version of After Hours except with more trolling and less entertainment.

Its on the go a while and unfortunately it looks like there is a strong listenership for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Haven't heard John for a long time..what's the story there?

Would only listen for Niall Boylan. Couldn't tell you a single other callers name.

Ild say he makes ye and not the other way around.
    You should be grateful the ladies in the local chippy know who you are!!!!

Colser wrote: »
    Haven't heard John for a long time..what's the story there?

John like myself does head on to the FM104 night time talk show from time to time. They do give us T-Shirts and CD's. John was on that show only the other night, having it out with a boyracer it was some laugh he really had them riled up.

He told me he'll be back on the Niall Boylan show for the winter months.I'll be the same and Alan too. Me and John do have a few head to heads on certain topics, social welfare and stuff, all put on of course but it keeps the likes irish bloke and MrJB1986 and co entertained. So stay tuned in.

John like myself does head on to the FM104 night time talk show from time to time. They do give us T-Shirts and CD's. John was on that show only the other night, having it out with a boyracer it was some laugh he really had them riled up.

He told me he'll be back on the Niall Boylan show for the winter months.I'll be the same and Alan too. Me and John do have a few head to heads on certain topics, social welfare and stuff, all put on of course but it keeps the likes irish bloke and MrJB1986 and co entertained. So stay tuned in.

Keep up the good work Tommy!,;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭badgersbelief

I always find the show entertaining and tell people not to take it so seriously. Interesting to hear behind the scenes, just wondering is there many actual genuine (non-regulars) callers that ring in to the show?

I always find the show entertaining and tell people not to take it so seriously. Interesting to hear behind the scenes, just wondering is there many actual genuine (non-regulars) callers that ring in to the show?

Yes there do be a fair few genuine callers as well. Take last night for instance, Nigel probably one of Niall's and his teams favourite go to guy when it comes to riling up listeners was on. Nigel does be basically banging the same drum everytime he's called upon, usually he wants to kill all people with disabilities because according to him they are good for nothing and contribute nothing to society and ship all homosexuals off to an island to live together or away from the rest of society.

In fact he had no sooner finished on the Boylan show last night and he was the FM104 talk show, banging on about people with disabilities on Boylans show (would have got a mug for that) and then banged on about homosexuals on FM104 (CD or a T-shirt). Anyways he'll spout his usual hatred and garbage and it's then the genuine callers are lined up by the producers. I don't agree with what Nigel does be set up to say or let say by the way. There's light hearted trolling and there is inciting hatred. Nigel aims for the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Mr.JB1986 wrote: »
    So which one are you? And to be fair, Niall does have talent.

He's obviously Steve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Interesting insights Tommy, not a very oft spoken about subject.

I can't stand the show myself, but I know a few people who listen to it religiously. I used listen to a similar show on RED FM when I was younger (Victor Barry, Cork Talks Back) so I sort of get the appeal, even though I'm past the point in my life where I find people bickering on the radio entertaining.

Boylan's clearly talented at what he does, and has cultivated a very loyal listener base, and I genuinely believe he deserves credit for that.

I think once you realise that most callers who appear to have an extreme opinion are either plants by the production team or trolls, and that it's all just an act to get people talking about the show online, texting the premium number and keeping the phone lines jammed with people looking to slag off the trolls, then ultimately it's all harmless fun.

Part of me does find it a bit sad that o much airtime is dedicated to him though, especially on "Classic Hits" 4FM...

Advertisement