Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding party members giving bigger gift

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I'm trying to remember if my Best Man gave me a "gift" other than all his help...I don't think he did but I'm not really sure. It didn't even occur to me to expect something from him or the bridesmaids. They had all done so much.

All I wanted was for my mates to be there. The closer the mates the less I gave a **** what they did or didn't give, to be honest.

Don't stress. If you're able to give a few bob, great. If the expense of the whole thing has you smashed, don't worry...they're your friends. They understand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

A few weeks before the wedding I made up a mini hamper with a few bits I knew she'd like but didn't have the budget for (wedding day Yankee candle, Swarovski pen for signing the register, a framed group photo of all of us on her hen weekend and a couple more things I can't remember just now).

Awwww, that was a lovely thing to do for your friend. Very thoughtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sweet Jeebus! Both my bridesmaids are under 21 and neither will be getting me a gift. Two groomsmen and neither of them have a cent to their names and I'd be HORRIFIED if they attempted to give me anything bank-breaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I think the point about maybe going above and beyond because you're very close is the only thing that resonates with me. As far as I'm concerned, some notion of it being the "expectation" is nonsense.

I'm going to be BM for one of my best friends next year. Its still ages away so nothing is set in stone yet, so this thread probably prompted me to think about it. I think I'll give the standard gift that I give for any wedding (€200 for myself and my OH) and then also buy her a keepsake. The idea of a nice pen to sign the registry is a good one, or maybe even a restaurant voucher they are keen foodies. This is purely off my own bat though, and I'd hate to think it was expected.

I'm sure she'll be providing us with all our clothes, hair, makeup etc on the day, but I don't expect her to pay for accomodation, as the bridal party is quite big (4x BM's and 4x GM - so 8x rooms would cost in the region of €1200) and also, I'd be going to the wedding and staying over whether I was a BM or not, so its an expense that I'm expecting regardless.

Advertisement