Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N11 - M50 (J4) to Coyne's Cross (J14) [options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭prunudo

josip wrote: »
    Thanks, but not displaying for me in either Firefox or Chrome.

Reason is you have to click a check box to say you adhere to the rules of viewing. The link is for after that stage so probably doesn't recognise your computer. Not a very technical explanation but hope that makes sense.

http://193.178.30.116/idocswebDPSS/copyright.aspx?catalog=planning&id=18382

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

Anyone else seeing only this when they click the plans or map links?
    I've ticked the box (tx Pronudo) and Ctrl F5ed just in case

0aoxP3j.png

Looks like the site was designed by the County Manager's son or daughter for summer work experience.

The way i got to it was, clicked plastik's link, click scanned documents, click check box, then a list of all documents comes up. One says road plans or similar but has 5 pages in jpeg format. That seems to be the one with the most detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Thud

So is it essentially a little concrete curb with the cones on it.
    why is it taking 9months?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Thud wrote: »

This is Ireland, have you seen how long the new junction at near Cabinteely is taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thud wrote: »
    It's a bit more than that. There's a separate lane being added from just after the Bray South southbound on ramp all the way to the garage. The "little concrete curb" will be between this new lane and the existing 2 lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

This is Ireland, have you seen how long the new junction at near Cabinteely is taking?

But there's no urgency for that to be opened since the housing its going to serve hasn't been built yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

This is Ireland...

It is!! And IIRC didn't they resurface most of that section road last year on the N11 southbound?

Reati wrote: »
    It is!! And IIRC didn't they resurface most of that section road last year on the N11 southbound?

They did, I remember sitting in the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭hometruths

They did, I remember sitting in the traffic.

I remember sitting in traffic the last time they widened the Glen. The Irish times called it the Road from Hell!
    It is just one of the many bizarre factors that has made the Co Wicklow project the most delayed and over-budget road scheme in Ireland. On Thursday the road should finally be fully open, nearly a year after its final estimated completion date and at nearly double the original projected cost. Its construction has caused untold misery, delaying commuters for up to an hour as they crawled through the five and a half kilometre site, south of Bray

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/road-from-hell-1.385011

schmittel wrote: »
    I remember sitting in traffic the last time they widened the Glen. The Irish times called it the Road from Hell!

If they choose the red route they better make sure they have all their t's crossed and i's dotted this time around. Going by the compliants on n7 widening thread it will need to be well planned and thought out to ensure it gets delivered in a quick and efficient manner.

So do I, and I don't think I could do it again. I would strongly consider quitting my job if the red route gets the go ahead. We would be looking at 3 or 4 years of hell.

prunudo wrote: »
    If they choose the red route they better make sure they have all their t's crossed and i's dotted this time around. Going by the compliants on n7 widening thread it will need to be well planned and thought out to ensure it gets delivered in a quick and efficient manner.

For me the big problem i have with them choosing the red route is that even if they have all their t's crossed and i's dotted, it will still never get delivered in a quick and efficient manner.

All routes will get challenged, but the red is the one that a) will be hardest to defend and b) take longest to defend, and runs the highest risk that the challenges will ultimately be successful and they are back at square one in ten years time.

Assuming they manage to see off the challenges, the traffic problem will just be getting worse in all the time it takes for them to get planning.

And then when eventually they start, they will be building the road in the middle of all the traffic, restricting the flow even further.

It's madness!

Hopefully they will learn the lessons of the past...
    Minister for Transport, Seamus Brennan, who has ordered an independent review of the reasons for the time and budget overruns, says lessons have already been learned.

"I think we've shown that you're better to build a fresh road," he says. "It's clearly much more expensive to upgrade an existing one."

The final cost of the road, at almost €15 million a kilometre, is comparable with that of a motorway, which costs between €10 million and €20 million a kilometre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

All routes will get challenged, but the red is the one that a) will be hardest to defend and b) take longest to defend, and runs the highest risk that the challenges will ultimately be successful and they are back at square one in ten years time.

An offline road will almost certainly be appealed on the basis of the new road and extensive retaining structures damaging the visual amenity in a scenic location, environmental damage caused, etc. There are also plenty of wealthy people in the area to finance all manner of appeals. The online upgrade but stopping before GOTD would be the least contentious and the only way to avoid up to a decade of appeals.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    An offline road will almost certainly be appealed on the basis of the new road and extensive retaining structures damaging the visual amenity in a scenic location, environmental damage caused, etc. There are also plenty of wealthy people in the area to finance all manner of appeals. The online upgrade but stopping before GOTD would be the least contentious and the only way to avoid up to a decade of appeals.

If you're suggesting they might choose to widen the road either side of the GOTD but do nothing in the GOTD itself, then that is surely a pointless exercise because it will not solve any of the congestion or safety problems specific to that stretch.

I can't see them electing for that solution. If they choose to upgrade the red road some amount of widening in the GOTD would be inevitable I think.

Don't underestimate the amount of people who will come out of the woodwork (pardon the pun) if they choose to chop down more of the Glen of the Downs. Saying that, every route is going to be contentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

Instead of widening the Glen of the Downs they should make a double decker motorway.
    4 lanes in both directions baby.

josip wrote: »
    Instead of widening the Glen of the Downs they should make a double decker motorway.
    4 lanes in both directions baby.

With a roof on top so it doesn't impact on the scenery.

Joking aside though and it be a first in Ireland I think, a cut and cover option on parts of the Cyan route (particularly the deep cutting around Downs hill) would reduce the impact on the landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Don't underestimate the amount of people who will come out of the woodwork (pardon the pun) if they choose to chop down more of the Glen of the Downs

The leader of the Green Party has already said he'll be living in the trees (again, he did last time)....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Reati wrote: »
    The leader of the Green Party has already said he'll be living in the trees (again, he did last time)....

Absolutely full of nuts that green party they threw us under the bus and the reversed back over us...

What a bunch of numpties.

If you're suggesting they might choose to widen the road either side of the GOTD but do nothing in the GOTD itself, then that is surely a pointless exercise because it will not solve any of the congestion or safety problems specific to that stretch.

I can't see them electing for that solution. If they choose to upgrade the red road some amount of widening in the GOTD would be inevitable I think.

The road would only be widened north of GOTD. I am saying that that would be the least contentious proposal and the one with a significantly greater chance of happening, anything else will be fought tooth and nail.

The road would only be widened north of GOTD. I am saying that that would be the least contentious proposal and the one with a significantly greater chance of happening, anything else will be fought tooth and nail.

It would be pointless, the main problem area is between the Greystones exit and the Glenview. Kilmac village is also a bottleneck, but not as bad as the glen.

It would be pointless, the main problem area is between the Greystones exit and the Glenview. Kilmac village is also a bottleneck, but not as bad as the glen.

That depends on what the point is. It would remove the safety issues on the road. If the intention is to eliminate congestion , a new road will take a decade to open so not much good to anyone now and even then it will only attract more traffic. Bus lanes are the only thing that can be done to address congestion in a reasonable period of time.

Will be interesting to see if it becomes an election issue on the doorsteps. Depending on route choice, subsequent litigation and any down turn in the economy I can't see any major work being completed within a decade either.
    But at the same time there doesn't seem to be any urgency for short term solutions. The only urgency seems to be to grant more and more housing without a thought for where or how the new residents get to work.

Will be interesting to see if it becomes an election issue on the doorsteps. Depending on route choice, subsequent litigation and any down turn in the economy I can't see any major work being completed within a decade either.

Well there is little chanceof much happening within the life of the next government so anyone trying to make it into an election issue is wasting their breath. Bus lanes on the N11 is about the only thing realistically achievable.

Most likely, the next government will just let the consultants get on with it and let the legal challenges play out knowing that they are only on the hook for relatively small consultant costs. If the project survives all the legal challenges, it would be up to the following government to decide if they will sign off on the likely very large construction costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭recyclops

They should get round to cleaning up the ropes, plastic and camps they left behind from the last protest before starting another.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Well there is little chanceof much happening within the life of the next government so anyone trying to make it into an election issue is wasting their breath. Bus lanes on the N11 is about the only thing realistically achievable.

Most likely, the next government will just let the consultants get on with it and let the legal challenges play out knowing that they are only on the hook for relatively small consultant costs. If the project survives all the legal challenges, it would be up to the following government to decide if they will sign off on the likely very large construction costs.

Exactly why infrastructure spending needs to be ring-fenced like in France! Takes the politics out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

recyclops wrote: »
    They should get round to cleaning up the ropes, plastic and camps they left behind from the last protest before starting another.

But that would mean they were being green and ecologically sensitive...:mad:

• Advertisement

That depends on what the point is. It would remove the safety issues on the road. If the intention is to eliminate congestion , a new road will take a decade to open so not much good to anyone now and even then it will only attract more traffic. Bus lanes are the only thing that can be done to address congestion in a reasonable period of time.

I don't think the GOTD is currently wide enough to incorporate a bus lane either side, so if they have to widen the road in the glen to add a bus lane, that will get tied up in the courts for a decade as well.

Advertisement