Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda going door to door for expired nct

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

visual wrote: »
    Just read a news article today saying garda have prosecuted 600,000 motorist and solve zero gang land killings.

What do you suggest, get the traffic corp to start investigating gangland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

95% of all statistics are made up. Sorry, UP TO 95%

Could you point me to the evidence to support this claim

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another classic example of Gardaí having to work harder and not smarter, the sooner they have proper ANPR to do this job the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

shakin wrote: »
    What do you suggest, get the traffic corp to start investigating gangland?

As one told me once he's no ordinary garda but special garda being traffic corp.

What a utter waste of space driving standard is unbelievable low since these so call experts have risen to top of the pile.

Watch any 3 lane motorway or carriageway and everyone including the these elite garda hogging over taking lanes.

I pay my taxes and should be getting something in return in regard of services.

It feck all use to me if I call garda in emergency to discover it takes 1 or 2 hours response time because they are off on some cross road doing tax checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Another classic example of Gardaí having to work harder and not smarter, the sooner they have proper ANPR to do this job the better.

In fairness it's not the garda on the ground fault that their management is dumb and jumping through politic hoops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

visual wrote: »
    In fairness it's not the garda on the ground fault that their management is dumb and jumping through politic hoops

Yes exactly, management can't see the big savings spending some cash will bring in both time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you think this is a waste.
    I drove north from Lisbon today and came across 2 police cars with flashing lights, one each side of a line painting truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Another fine example of how sh1te ANPR is in Ireland, I was told last week from a Traffic Corp officer that it can't even detect what cars are declared on or off the road! Unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Never heard of this before.
    I'm ultra curious, what exactly did they ask you regarding the car?

Just said they were calling to enquire about a car that was showing as out of nct for a long time. Explained and they said that's grand and basically they'd tick that car off the list.

Got a bit of a fright having Garda calling to the house so didn't really ask too many questions. Was only thinking afterwards would they be trying to trace cars sold to those dodgy cash for cars crowds. Never thought of cloning etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

sept09baby wrote: »
    Just said they were calling to enquire about a car that was showing as out of nct for a long time. Explained and they said that's grand and basically they'd tick that car off the list.

Got a bit of a fright having Garda calling to the house so didn't really ask too many questions. Was only thinking afterwards would they be trying to trace cars sold to those dodgy cash for cars crowds. Never thought of cloning etc

I had a car that did not have NCT since 2011. I got it tested in June so all is good. I didnt hear from any Gardai about it. Its a bit strange if they are doing calls. Id ring the local station to see whats going on. If they are doing these types of calls then that is some waste of time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

ANPR doesn't discriminate so everyone who's up to no good gets caught. That's no use when somebody needs to be let off the hook when it suits. That and given the guards proven track record in incompetence, cronyism and corruption can you really expect them to operate and deploy this properly! Don't expect to see ANPR here in full swing anytime soon me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Another fine example of how sh1te ANPR is in Ireland, I was told last week from a Traffic Corp officer that it can't even detect what cars are declared on or off the road! Unbelievable!

Why would it need to know if it vehicle has been declared off the road? If ANPR picks it up it should be taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why would it need to know if it vehicle has been declared off the road?

Because tax aside, it's a further offence to declare your vehicle off the road. GARDAI probably don't care for 2 months. Somebody who has sorned that car however would be in a bit more bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Don't expect to see ANPR here in full swing anytime soon me thinks.

I'm actually waiting for GoSafe to get the contract for this. It will be a 'great idea' with a new press release about 'new technology' and 'use of resources' at the expense of a colossal, can't possibly make a loss tender.

We've been doing this since the mid-90s. You could have a system, nationwide, in 6 weeks if you were even half serious about wanting it. They just arn't. Typical government contracts and tenders.

CiniO wrote: »
    What I meant was that probably there's no other country than Ireland, which would make it illegal to park a vehicle with no valid test (like NCT) in public place............

No NCT and it should be on private property or in the scrapyard imo.

Advertisement